Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Stand: Remake

edited April 2018 in Adaptations
Stephen King's 'The Stand' Heading to the Big Screen

Stephen King's grand opus The Stand is finally getting the big-screen treatment.

Warner Bros. and CBS Films are teaming to adapt the novel, which in many ways set the bar for a generation of post-apocalyptic stories and influenced works ranging from TV's Lost to music group Anthrax. Mosaic and Roy Lee are producing.

The companies will co-develop and co-produce the feature film, with CBS having the option to participate in co-financing. Warners will handle worldwide marketing and distribution.

The studios and producers will sit down with writers and directors in the coming weeks in an attempt to find the right take on the material. One thing to be determined is whether to attempt the adaptation in one or multiple movies. King will be involved in some capacity.

CBS has held the rights for many years but recently realized the best way to undertake the project was with a partner. Warners beat out Fox and Sony in a tight bidding war for the gig, getting its hands on one of the biggest-selling books of all time.

CBS, meanwhile, gets a chance to be involved in an ambitious big-budget tentpole with little downside. The company just released its fourth movie, The Mechanic, which performed better than expected this weekend with an opening of $11.4 million.

The Stand is a story of good vs. evil after a virus wipes out most of the American population. While it features dozens of characters (such as the Trashcan Man and Mother Abigail) and overlapping story lines running over many years, the struggle boils down to a group of survivors fighting the Antichrist-like Randall Flagg.

The novel was originally published in 1978, but by the time it was rereleased in 1990 with King adding and revising portions of the story, it had achieved cult-like status.

George Romero and Warners separately tried in vain to launch a movie adaptation in the 1980s, and a tone-downed version was produced as a six-hour miniseries by ABC in 1994. In recent years, Marvel Comics has been adapting the story to great acclaim.

King's stories made for popular Hollywood adaptations in the 1980s and '90s, but that love seemed to lose steam in the past decade. But with Universal mounting an ambitious take on The Dark Tower, and now The Stand, King may be getting ready to return to the throne as the novelist the town loves the most.

Comments

• As much as I enjoy the miniseries totally look forward to a new version. If it comes to pass.
  • From Entertainment Weekly: Stephen King: 10 things I know about the remake of 'The Stand'

When news broke on Jan. 31 that Warner Bros. is remaking Stephen King’s 1978 novel The Stand, we at EW wondered what our old friend Uncle Stevie thought about the development. We asked, and here’s what he had to say:

1. No one will be able to top Gary Sinise, who played Stu Redman in the original ABC miniseries. He was perfect. When he says “You don’t know nothing” to the soldiers who are putting him under mandatory quarantine, you believe his contempt completely. My runner-up pick would be Jake Gyllenhaal.

2. I didn’t know anything about the remake until I read about it on the Internet.

3. You absolutely can’t make it as a two-hour movie. If it was a trilogy of films…maybe.

4. Molly Ringwald won’t be playing Fran Goldsmith this time.

5. Rutger Hauer is a little too old to play the Walkin’ Dude, and that’s too bad.

6. People who’ve seen Kubrick’s The Shining dislike the miniseries I wrote (and my amigo Mick Garris directed) even if they haven’t seen it. That’s always annoyed me. But the wheel of karma turns! This time people will probably say, “The miniseries was lots better.” BUT…

7. …historically speaking, movie studios blow the budget on things like this, so maybe it’ll be fun to look at. The dough certainly isn’t going to me, although if it is a trilogy, and if it makes a lot of money, I might be able to buy a chicken dinner at Popeye’s. Great slaw!

8. Molly Ringwald will probably not play the Trashcan Man, either, but Billy Bob Thornton would be cool. Billy Bob’s always cool.

9. They need to write in a lot of heavy-metal for the soundtrack.

10. M-O-O-N, that spells “you probably won’t see this anytime soon.” And when you do, Woody Allen won’t be directing it. Or Molly Ringwald.
  • LOL!

John
  • Rutger Hauer as The Walking Dude would be cool even though I prefer they cast more to the character as written in the book.
  • Rutger Hauer was okay as Barlow in the TNT Salem's Lot remake.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Rutger Hauer was okay as Barlow in the TNT Salem's Lot remake.
    I have yet to see it. Not really that motivated though.
  • No, it's not that great. High production values but a bad adaptation.
  • David Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter films, has the pick of the litter — or should we say, pick of the literature? — at the studio [Warner Brothers]. The studio's top priority is a multi-picture adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand. Our spies tell us that Yates is flying into town tomorrow, and has been rereading King’s epic-length supernatural classic. We’re told Yates will decide if he wants to do the film sometime in the next two weeks. It is a big commitment, as the studio wants to split the giant book into three parts.

>>> Source
  • Warner Bros has chosen Ben Affleck to adapt and direct The Stand, Stephen King’s apocalyptic mammoth book. Affleck has become a cornerstone director for the studio, but this would be his greatest challenge yet. Even King has been reticent about the idea of making a feature of his book, which previously was turned into a miniseries. With The Town and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has shown the grit necessary to handle such an unforgettable tale. It’s early days, but the studio loves Affleck, who’s now directing Argo.

>>> Source
  • Interesting choice.
  • David Kajganich has been brought on board by Warner Bros. to pen the new adaptation of The Stand. While Kajganich's resume is fairly limited - his previous work includes 2009's Blood Creek with Henry Cavill and Oliver Hirschbiegel's Body Snatchers remake The Invasion - the studio is high on the writer because he recently wrote a version of Stephen King's IT that they really liked. Both projects are being produced by Roy Lee and Doug Davison, which further explains the connection. The book tells the story of a group of people trying to survive after a chemically weaponized super-flu has devastated the human population.

>>> Source
  • Ben Affleck & 'The Stand': Director Having 'Hard Time' With Stephen King Adaptation

In October of 2011, Deadline.com reported that Ben Affleck was Warner Bros. top choice to direct an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Stand." The news was somewhat shocking in those pre-"Argo" days, if only because some two months earlier, HitFix reported that "Harry Potter" director David Yates was going to take on the project. (Yates never did; instead, he's working on a "Tarzan" adaptation for the studio.)

In January, Vulture reported that David Kajganich ("Invasion") was hired to adapt "The Stand," but precious little has been heard from the Free Zone since, but in a new interview with GQ, Affleck revealed that the film isn't near production just yet.

"Right now we're having a very hard time," he said. "But I like the idea -- it's like 'The Lord of the Rings' in America. And it's about how we would reinvent ourselves as a society. If we started all over again, what would we do?"

While he waits for "The Stand" to get into shape, Affleck is certainly keeping himself busy. He signed up to direct an adaptation of Dennis Lehane's novel "Live By Night" in October; that film will probably be his next feature. He's also still working on a script with Matt Damon about mobster Whitey Bulger.

"My guess is honestly, [it'll be] the movie after next," Affleck told The Playlist about the mob movie. "I'll probably find something that's in better shape to do next until we got that one ready, and then we'll go ahead and fire that one up. [...] We're in the process writing it, the script is not ready yet, it needs a lot more work."
  • 'The Stand' Director Wants To Shoot On Location; Will Christian Bale Star?

Writer/Director Scott Cooper speaks about the Stephen King adaptation.

When director Scott Cooper replaced Ben Affleck as writer and director of the Stephen King adaptation "The Stand" for Warner Brothers and CBS Films, you could hear the sound of jaws dropping all over Hollywood. The former actor had one critically acclaimed hit under his belt with "Crazy Heart," but taking on a sprawling project like King's 800+ page novel was another thing entirely.

Since then, Cooper has been relatively mum on the project. But with the multi-hyphenate's second feature "Out Of The Furnace" in theaters this December, MTV News had to ask him for an update during a recent press junket.

Director Scott Cooper Takes On The Daunting Task Of Adapting 'The Stand'

"It's a daunting challenge to take a long novel, a beloved novel, and condense that into a standalone film," Cooper said on the adaptation. "It's a process. There's a reason that film hasn't been made. It's the themes, and the scope, and the size."

The book, long considered one of King's best works, shows what happens when a deadly flu strain nicknamed "Captain Trips" is released, killing most of the world's population. What follows is not just a post-apocalyptic survival tale, but also an epic supernatural battle between good and evil to decide the fate of what remains of humanity. The story has previously been adapted into a critically acclaimed 1994 TV mini-series, as well as numerous Marvel comics.

Despite the big budget trappings, Cooper is hoping to take a very different, much more down-to-earth slant on directing the feature. "My approach, much like 'Out of The Furnace' is searingly realistic [and grounded]," Cooper continued. "That can be a very expensive endeavor, one that maybe doesn't marry with how a movie like that should be shot, just because of the sheer expense."

Adding to that expense would be the sprawling locations of "The Stand's" narrative, which range from Nebraska to Las Vegas, and all over the rest of the United States. Good thing Cooper can shoot on a sound stage, right? Wrong:

"I prefer to shoot on location," Cooper said in response to the idea of shooting in a studio. "It imbues the entire production with a sense of place and authenticity that I strive for. I'm certain that whether consciously or subconsciously it affects the actor's performances, and the crew, quite frankly. It's critical to my process that I shoot not only where I've written the screenplay, but shooting the exact locations I wrote it for."

Cooper isn't just tied to shooting on location, either. He's also formed a strong bond with "Out of the Furnace" star Christian Bale, and hopes to bring him on to "The Stand."

"Well, Christian's a part of everything I'm writing, and I tend to share things with Christian in the infancy stage that I don't share with other people," Cooper said on the prospect of Bale joining "The Stand." "He's become one of my, not just closest friends, but a great collaborator, and wouldn't be surprised to see me and Christian teaming up on many things."

That's certainly far from a confirmation, but for fans of King's novel the prospect of Bale as the villainous Randall Flagg is a tempting one. We'll have more on that tomorrow.

As of now, there is no official release date for "The Stand." "Out of the Furnace" is in theaters December 6, 2013.
  • The article said Flagg, but as a starring role you'd have to wonder - Flagg or Stu? Either way, Bale on the project would be cool!
  • edited February 2014
    Josh Boone may be the next director to attempt to take on a feature version of Stephen King’s post-apocalyptic novel “The Stand” for Warner Bros. and CBS Films.

Boone is in early talks to helm the film, which previously had Scott Cooper, Ben Affleck and David Yates attached.

Boone directed Fox’s “The Fault In Our Stars,” which stars Shailene Woodley and will be released on June 6. He has a long relationship with King and his feature debut “Stuck in Love” included King’s voice.

The Stand won't be his first brush with King, however, since he's also currently attached to direct a movie version of King's smaller-scale Lisey's Story. Will he stay with that and do The Stand, or end up passing on one for the other? The discussions are ongoing and Warners has not commented so far.

Warner Bros. and CBS Films set up “The Stand” in 2011 with Mosaic and Roy Lee attached to develop and produce. CBS has the option to participate on the financing and Warners will handle worldwide marketing and distribution.

>>> Source
  • edited May 2014
    Nat Wolff will star in Josh Boone’s adaptation of “The Stand.” Apparently the plans are for a single R-rated film.

>>> Source
  • Josh Boone Promises Three-Hour, R-Rated, All-Star 'The Stand'

Stephen King's classic The Stand isn't exactly the most inherently filmable book -- aside from the fact that its postapocalyptic plague plot serves to explore some fairly heady themes, it's also one whopping tome of a bestseller, and given that even the slenderest of novels need to be condensed in order to fit inside the constraints of mainstream movie length, it's no wonder that Warner Bros. has struggled to bring it to the big screen.

Director Josh Boone is here to offer hope, however. Out stumping for his latest release, the teen cancer romance The Fault in Our Stars, Boone opened up to Vulture about his plans for The Stand, and if they sound a mite wishful, they're also seriously intriguing.

"We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board," insisted Boone. "Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome."

As he went on to explain, he means "awesome" on a personal level, too. "I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life," continued Boone. "If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s just crazy. I’ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young."

It remains to be seen how The Stand will survive at even three hours, but Boone vows not to ignore the lessons he learned from King's books. "I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King," he added. "I don’t read screenplays. I don’t read screenplay how-to books. It’s always just, establish the character. Establish the character."
  • Josh Boone says:

I finished writing the script maybe a month ago. Stephen [King] absolutely loved it. It’s, I think, the first script ever approved by him. [It'll be] a single version movie of The Stand. Three hours. It hews very closely to the novel. It was such an amazing process. I’m so familiar with [King's] work and I’ve read so many of his books so many times over the years that it was just a really comfortable thing to be able to work with his material. He gives you so much great material to work with. There’s an abundance of it. So it’s not a book where you have to generate new material and make it work for a movie. He writes so cinematically and his characters are so sharply drawn. You don’t have to change much. [You use] a lot of structural things to condense a thousand pages into a three-hour movie but it’s still at heart his material. I just made it work within the confines of what a single film can be.

Josh Boone goes on to talk about deciding what to leave out from King's book for the movie, and says spring of next year is the earliest production might start on the project.

I just focused on the things that I felt strongly about, that I have strong memories about, that are evocative to me even when I read it now. You just have an internal interest meter. The Stand is about so many things — you could make ten to fifteen different movies and focus on a different aspect of it. I just focussed on the things that were more important to me and felt essential to me and were based in the characters...It takes a long time to prep a film like that. Six to eight months. I don’t imagine we would shoot the movie until next Spring at the earliest. And we’re still early in the process. I’m still meeting actors and having budget meetings and all that.

• King Reveals ‘The Stand’ May Not Just Be One Movie

Stephen King is making the rounds lately to talk about “A Good Marriage,” the new movie based on his novella about a devoted husband with a sinister secret. But when he stopped by MTV to discuss that film, we couldn’t resist the chance to also get some details on another King adaptation in the works: the hotly-anticipated “The Stand,” which is coming to the big screen courtesy of “The Fault in Our Stars” director Josh Boone.

Not only is Boone taking on an enormous responsibility in “The Stand” — including adapting the script himself from King’s 1,000-plus-page novel — but rumor has it that he plans to contain the entire story in just one film, an astronomical challenge considering how sprawling it is.

Fortunately, Stephen King has nothing but faith in the director’s ability to bring “The Stand” to life. In fact, he’s so in tune with Boone’s process that he even dropped a tantalizing hint about those “single movie” rumors.

“I think that his take is terrific — and don’t count on it being one film,” King said.

What does that mean?! Unfortunately, the author wouldn’t say much more about it, only going so far as to tell us, “There’s talk about doing it in an entirely different and innovative way, and I don’t want to go into it because that’s Josh’s baby.”

But whatever Boone’s secret mystery plans, King is clearly confident that his work is in good hands.

“He made ‘The Fault in Our Stars,’ which is Class A filmmaking as far as I’m concerned,” the author said. “He’s hugely ambitious and hugely energetic, so we’ll see what happens.”
  • I LOVE IT!

First reaction - Uh, wow!

Second reaction - HELLS YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Third reaction - after listening to that Kevin Smith interview -

OMFG! 

Boone so gets not just The Stand but every Stephen King story!!! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!