Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

11/22/63

edited March 2011 in General news
On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,

President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?

Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

In stores November 8, 2011.

>>> Stephen King website, with links

Comments

• Wow! Every fiction writer likely toys with dealing with this moment in history.

That King has tackled it is very exciting. The Dead Zone revisited?
  • Ms Mod on the SK Message Board said this book will be almost 1000 pages. That's going to be some great story for sure!

John
  • She also said that it's among her five favorite King novels.
  • The story sounds awesome!
  • 1000 pages!  One of King's recent lighter works.   ;)

Anyone else have the vibe that this one smells MOVIE even more than any of King's other books always do?
  • By the way, the title will be 11/22/63 in Canada and the UK, too.
  • Has a King book ever had a different title in Canada and/or The UK than its US counterpart?

There probably is but if so the title(s) escape me.
  • No, but I remember one Colin Dexter novel (he wrote the Inspector Morse mysteries) where the word Color appeared in the title. In the UK/Canada it was Colour and in the US it was Color. There was a note on the copyright page of the us version that gave the "original" title.

Also, the first Harry Potter book had a different title in the US (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) vs the UK (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone). And a lot of Agatha Christie's books have different titles in the US vs the UK.
  • I was looking at 11/22/63's Wikipedia entry (so fast, those people!) and found the following interesting item:

Background information

King first talked about this idea in Marvel Spotlight: The Dark Tower, an issue of Marvel Spotlight published on January 27, 2007, prior to the beginning of the ongoing comic book adaptation of King's Dark Tower series. In the magazine, in a piece entitled "An Open Letter From Stephen King", he writes about possible original ideas for comics: "I'd like to tell a time-travel story where this guy finds a diner that connects to 1958... you always go back to the same day. So one day he goes back and just stays. Leaves his 2007 life behind. His goal? To get up to November 22, 1963, and stop Lee Harvey Oswald.

So apparently SK has been thinking about this for awhile.

The thing is, there are what could be considered MAJOR SPOILERS in the rest of the paragraph, which I won't quote here, but you're interested (and things could have changed, or this item could simply be wrong), here is the Wikipedia entry.
  • The Simon & Schuster site lists 11/22/63's length as 864 pages.
  • The dust jacket artwork for 11/22/63 has been revealed at this link. The design created by veteran digital artist Rex Bonomelli offers a glimpse into the epic tale that hits the shelves on November 8th 2011.

Here's the smaller version:

• I think I like it. I especially like the dichotomy between the front and back. Plus, back then, TV, radio or the newspapers were the only real means of getting the news.

John
  • Scribner tweet: Stephen King came in today to "sell" 11/22/63 to our sales force. Awesome.
  • Love the dust jacket! Chomping at the bit to read this one.

Rather surprised a movie is already not in production.
  • From BEA:

The Kennedy assassination is also the backdrop for Stephen King's latest thriller from Scribner. "11/22/63: A Novel" centers around a high school English teacher in a small town in Maine who discovers a way to travel back in time and tries to stop the killing.

The novel plans to have a 1 million copy first printing on Nov. 8.

NY Post
  • Simon & Schuster has made available an excerpt of 11/22/63, which you can read here.
  • Great appetizer.
  • Interesting cameo by a familiar, um, "character."
  • Word from SK's site about a book tour:

The dates and cities have been determined for the book tour to promote 11/22/63. Specific details for each venue are still being negotiated but we should have more information within the next few weeks.

November 7th Boston

November 10 & 11 Dallas

November 12 New Orleans

November 14 Sarasota

December 14 Atlanta
  • H&S cover in various sizes

• Event types:

Boston - appearance; 250 pre-signed books

Dallas - appearances; pre-signed books

New Orleans - appearance; 250 pre-signed books

Sarasota - book signing

Atlanta - book signing
  • It's the same excerpt as before (see reply #16).