Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Ten o'Clock People

edited June 2012 in General news
Tom Holland has signed to direct THE TEN O’CLOCK PEOPLE, based on King’s short story of the same title (from the NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES collection), for Making Ten O’Clock Productions. The plot concerns a man named Brandon Pearson who is trying to quit the killer weed, but after dropping a popular cessation drug called Zynex, he finds himself able to see a frightening side of reality that leads him to take violent action. “ ‘The Ten O’Clock People’ was Stephen trying to deal with his cigarette jones,” says Holland, who previously helmed the King feature THINNER (out on a new DVD and Blu-ray from Olive Films August 21) and the two-part TV movie THE LANGOLIERS. “I know, because we spent a dinner talking about it. He was still doing three, four Pall Mall Reds unfiltered a day, while I had cut back to a few Benson & Hedges Lights. He wrote it because he hated the no-smoking laws. The film will be a modernization of the original short story, a paranoid suspense piece.”

E.J. Meyers and Nathaniel Kramer are producing THE TEN O’CLOCK PEOPLE, which will shoot this year targeting a 2013 release.

>>> Source

Comments

• Justin Long is in negotiations for the lead role in The Ten O’clock People. The Live Free Or Die Hard actor would play Brandon Pearson in the modernized adaptation of the Stephen King short story. As previously reported, Tom Holland will direct and has written the screenplay. The story follows Pearson’s attempt to quit smoking and the unknown and terrifying aspect of reality that he uncovers as he tries to kick. The Ten O’clock People comes from King’s 1993 Nightmares And Dreamscapes collection. The film starts shooting September 10 in New York. It’s produced by Making Ten O’clock Productions and Holland’s Dead Rabbit Films with Nathaniel Kramer and E.J. Meyers producing. Long is repped by CAA and Principato-Young.

>>> Source
  • Good choice!

So glad to read it's not Steve Weber for a change! ;)
  • Rachel Nichols is in negotiations to join Justin Long in Stephen King's The Ten O'Clock People.

The adaptation of King's short story, first published in Nightmares and Dreamscapes in 1993, is being directed by Tom Holland. Holland, a 1980s horror maven who wrote and directed Fright Night and Child's Play, previously tackled King’s Thinner and The Langoliers.

The story centers on a man who, when attempting to kick his smoking habit, has his eyes opened to a frightening reality in which many people in authority are monsters. He joins a group of others like him called the Ten O’Clock People.

Nichols would play a woman who, like the man, can see a horrible aspect of reality, hidden in plain sight.
  • Additionally, Holland will again collaborate with Stephen King to bring the short story "The Ten O'Clock People" to the big screen. "They're in negotiations right now with the cast," Holland said. "We've got Rachel Nichols for the heroine, but we're in negotiations for the male lead. We're hoping to be shooting by the first week in December in Providence, Rhode Island. I think everyone knows it's a Stephen King short story, I'm very excited about it."

Asked whether it sticks close to the original story or ventures off, Holland said, "Oh, we venture off a lot."

>>> Source
  • 2007143D340B0C01070C16620 wrote: Asked whether it sticks close to the original story or ventures off, Holland said, "Oh, we venture off a lot."

To be expected. Hope it retains the core of the story.
  • Tom Holland: “Stephen and I had dinner when I was making The Langoliers and he had recently finished writing Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which had that short story. He was aggravated at dinner because we were both still smoking at the time. They still had smoking and non-smoking sections, but this particular restaurant had gone totally non-smoking. He was aggravated, and needless to say, I wasn’t too thrilled myself.

We were thinking about what kind of people would be exerting this control. It felt like the government trying to control our personal habits. As the internet and digital is growing, the ability of authorities to track you, know what you’re doing, and limit your personal behavior is growing. It seemed to me that the themes that were in The Ten O’Clock People went further than just having a cigarette. I thought it was an interesting platform to make a metaphor of what could happen if things went wrong.

What I’ve done is added a drug element. It’s about people who have taken a stop smoking drug and went back to smoking. Then they start seeing things that they shouldn’t be seeing.”

>> Daily Dead
  • Captain America‘s Chris Evans is now circling the Stephen King adaptation, which had Justin Long attached before scheduling conflicts got in the way. Tom Holland (Fright Night) will adapt and direct The Ten O’Clock People, a modernized take on the short story from King’s Nightmares and Dreamscapes about a man who tries to quit smoking with the help of a new drug only to discover a frightening aspect of reality as he kicks nicotine. Pic is aiming for a fall shoot in Atlanta and will mark Holland’s third King adaptation after The Langoliers and Thinner.

Pascal Borno and Scott Karol’s Conquistador Entertainment, Holland’s Dead Rabbit Films and E.J. Meyers, Robin Reitman and Nathaniel Kramer’s Making Ten O’clock Productions will produce the film, which Borno and Karol are selling at Cannes.

>>> Source
  • edited February 2014
    Jay Baruchel has signed on to star in and executive produce the film adaptation of Stephen King's short story The Ten O’Clock People.

Tom Holland, the horrormeister behind Fright Night and Child’s Play, wrote the script and will direct the chiller, which is eyeing a June start in Baruchel’s hometown of Montreal.

Baruchel starred in last year’s acclaimed comedy This Is The End and next appears with Joel Kinnaman and Michael Keaton in Robocop, which opens February 14. He voicestars in How to Train Your Dragon 2, opening June 13, and is writing Goon 2.

He also just signed on to star in FX’s comedy pilot Man Seeking Woman.
  • Interesting choice for a lead - it could work as Baruchel certainly has the acting chops.  Even though he makes for an unconventional heroic lead.