Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Week 7 -- it's done

Author: Bev Vincent

I'm just back from the UPS Store. The Road to the Dark Tower is on the road to the Big Apple. ~0

I'm a nervous wreck. I was an ornery critter this past weekend. I had to read the newest version of the Song of Susannah manuscript, which I got on Friday afternoon and look for changes that affected what I had written (thankfully there were few, but some were significant) and I had a whole list of corrections and alterations to enter. Yesterday I was a mess. I jumped all over my manuscript, looking for things to change. Part of me was looking for things to snip out, to tighten the language up and another part was looking for little tidbits to stick in. I'm not sure which part won! The word count before I started and after I finished was almost identical.

Got up at 5:30 a.m. and had another go at a couple of chapters. Tinkered. Added one nice detail that has been at the back of my mind for a while but I'd overlooked. Finally, I said enough. At 11:30 I went to Copy Club with my floppy disk, printed out the 380 page manuscript and made two copies. While that was going on, I had lunch next door, then I carted everything up to the other end of the strip mall to the UPS Store and sent one copy to my editor and one to my agent.

Now the waiting begins. As I wrote to my editor...now I know what it's going to be like to send my daughter off to college in a few years. Out of my control, into the hands of someone else. Ron's going to be the first person to read any part of this other than the sample chapter that went out seven months ago. I had a crisis of confidence over the weekend. Is it any good? I asked myself more than once. Is it what I promised? Is it what my editor is expecting?

Time will tell.

Now, for the time being, it's on to other things:

1) Book review due to the newspaper to run this Friday -- mostly done

2) Book review due to Cemetery Dance on August 15th -- I've read the book, that's all

3) Cemetery Dance column due on August 15th -- in pretty good shape

4) Short story due at the end of August for an invitation-only anthology. Not sure I'm going to make this one.

5) Long essay about Graham Joyce due at the end of September -- haven't even started yet

6) Essay about a Jack Ketchum novel due in December -- haven't started yet

So, it looks like I'll still be getting up at 5:30 for a while, though I may take tomorrow morning off in celebration!

Author: Darth Pookie

I know King is in the process of rewrites for 6&7, but what about when you get a newer version of book 7? What will happen then?

Major rewrites for DT6 are done -- I got the revised manuscript last Friday. DT7 rewrites aren't due until later this fall. I'll also be doing rewrites in the coming months once my editor has his crack at the book; I'll be able to address any changes King makes to the final book during that process.

My editor says he would like to have the text for my book frozen by February, which would then give them about eight months to copyedit and produce the book before the November '04 publication date.

Author: Darth Pookie

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Major rewrites for DT6 are done -- I got the revised manuscript last Friday. DT7 rewrites aren't due until later this fall. I'll also be doing rewrites in the coming months once my editor has his crack at the book; I'll be able to address any changes King makes to the final book during that process.

My editor says he would like to have the text for my book frozen by February, which would then give them about eight months to copyedit and produce the book before the November '04 publication date.

I like the fact that S.K. is getting all of the stuff cleared up by the end of this year, and at the very latest (it would seem) early next year so that everything will be ready to come out in stores when it should. It is nice to know that S.K. as well as you and Robin bust your asses to get your stuff done way early so that it will be ready on time. It shows a real love for the work, as well as a a deep passion for the subject. Too bad movie studios don't do that more often when it comes to DVD releases of their movies. Sometimes they're right on time, other times you're lucky if they comes out when they say that they will. But, I digress. In any case, Congratulations on getting it done(minus whatever rewrites need to be done, of course). I, along with the everyone else here, are definitely looking forward to purchasing it.

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

Originally posted by Darth Pookie

I like the fact that S.K. is getting all of the stuff cleared up by the end of this year, and at the very latest (it would seem) early next year so that everything will be ready to come out in stores when it should. It is nice to know that S.K. as well as you and Robin bust your asses to get your stuff done way early so that it will be ready on time. It shows a real love for the work, as well as a a deep passion for the subject. Too bad movie studios don't do that more often when it comes to DVD releases of their movies. Sometimes they're right on time, other times you're lucky if they comes out when they say that they will. But, I digress. In any case, Congratulations on getting it done(minus whatever rewrites need to be done, of course). I, along with the everyone else here, are definitely looking forward to purchasing it.

There was no way in HELL I was going to miss this deadline. If I'd broken both my arms I would have finished it by typing with my nose! Like King said last October, if I should happen to die right now, the book could be published. Sure, there will be editing to be done, but the bulk of the work is done.

Now, on to whatever is next!

Author: Opie-Mon

After a mammooth project like that I think I would need a vacation, LOL. A nice weekend somewhere, preferrably on a deserted island. :)

And yeah, what DP said, I am glad there are still some disciplined people like you around, makes little readers like me happy. :)

Author: DTUK

Hard part is over now, Bev :) Enjoy the ride, and thank you for all the work gone into making this book for the readers and fans of King and the DT series.

I'm not entirely convinced the hard part is over! There are still two big phases to tackle -- edits from the publisher and then marketing. I'll be sure to let you all know what comes along during these two processes.

How are you feeling now, Bev with your book gone and out of your hands, after a bit of time has sunk in that it is finally on its way?

I'm calmer now, though I'm still nervous to hear from my editor. He should get the manuscript tomorrow. I've turned my attention to other things. I've got a story I'm trying to finish for an anthology I was invited to submit to. I think I'm about half way through the story, but I'm just now figuring out what it's going to be about. ~0

Then, it's back to Two Pink Roses, a novel I was working on before The Road to the Dark Tower came along.

According to UPS tracking, my manuscript is now with the publisher.

I was amused to note yesterday that, after it arrived in Newark, New Jersey on Tuesday night, UPS decided that since I'd paid for 3-day delivery and only two days had elapsed they'd take the book for a little detour and sent it to Philadelphia next instead of just across the river to Manhattan! :?

Author: Brautigan

Hey Bev,

Congrats on being done with this big step!! Thanks again for sharing all your details and thoughts. The whole process is very interesting. Overall, sounds like you're pretty busy. I guess it's better to be busy and have lots of deadlines then the alternative!

I don't mind the deadlines at all. Sometimes they are self-imposed, but sometimes people are asking me to write things, which is great. A few years ago I was working really hard to get someone to publish me and now they are asking. It's a pleasant turnaround of affairs! If I had more time, I'd write even more -- I see anthologies and contests I'd love to enter, but the deadlines go zooming past and I don't have a chance to submit anything.

LOL @ Philadelphia.....now what on earth would they have done if they lost the valuable manuscript??? ~0

Well, the manuscript itself isn't worth all that much -- it's just paper, about $30 - $40 worth of photocopying.