Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bev's Books read 2020

edited December 2020 in Free for all
  • Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner
  • Of Mice and Minestrone by Joe Lansdale
  • Revival by Stephen King (audio)
  • Murder by the Book by Rex Stout
  • Wanderers by Chuck Wendig
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles by Alexander McCall Smith
  • The Better Sister by Alafair Burke
  • The Elephant of Surprise by Joe R. Lansdale
  • At Home in the Dark, edited by Lawrence Block
  • Mama Makes Up Her Mind: And Other Dangers of Southern Living by Bailey White
  • Westwind by Ian Rankin
  • If It Bleeds by Stephen King
  • The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
  • The Call of the Wild by Jack London
  • White Fang by Jack London
  • Camino Winds by John Grisham
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
  • The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
  • Creative Types by Tom Bissell
  • Yes to Life: In Spite of Everything by Viktor E. Frankl
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot
  • The Boogeyman: A True Account of Small Town Evil by Richard Chizmar
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot
  • A Song for the Dark Times by Ian Rankin
  • Basketful of Heads by Joe Hill
  • Fool Me Twice by Jeff Lindsay
  • Cry Baby by Mark Billingham
  • Just Like You by Nick Hornby
  • All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
  • Plunge by Joe Hill and Stuart Immonen
  • Hope and Miracles - Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont, edited by Tyson Blue
  • Next to Last Stand by Craig Johnson
  • Every Living Thing by James Herriot
  • The Turnout by Megan Abbott
  • Never Far Away by Michael Koryta

Comments

• edited March 2020
    Hi Bev, I see that you've read Meg's "Into the Black Nowhere". I'm looking forward to reading this one at some point, have read most of Meg's but am a couple of her more recent stories behind. 

Did you enjoy it? (oh please let this be posted in the right area, just trying to orient myself)
  • Yes, I enjoyed it -- it's a good thriller in the same vein as her previous two. I finally had the chance to meet her at Bouchercon last fall.
  • I'm so far behind with Meg's books.  I have UNSUB around here somewhere.  I should break it out.
  • Yes, I enjoyed it -- it's a good thriller in the same vein as her previous two. I finally had the chance to meet her at Bouchercon last fall.
    That's so great Bev! Marsha went to her reading last month(?) in AZ, I would love to do that one day.
  • I'm so far behind with Meg's books.  I have UNSUB around here somewhere.  I should break it out.
    I've got quite a bit of Meg Gardiner catching up to do also. On the positive side, COVID-19 has me reading a lot more! I'm currently reading book 1 of Harry Potter with my 12-year-old and am also reading Within These Walls by: Robyn Bavati in between all the other madness. (which is kind of apt right now with so many people quarantined. 
  • Updated
    Is Camino Winds good?
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Is Camino Winds good?
    It's okay. Very light reading, which is good when it's hard to concentrate otherwise. Grisham isn't much of a stylist, but he can usually be relied upon to tell a good story.
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Never understood why Wuthering Heights is looked at by so many as a romance novel.  
    It's not.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Never understood why Wuthering Heights is looked at by so many as a romance novel.  
    It's not.

Certainly nothing very romantic about what we've read so far. I think that term refers to the "romantic period" in literature rather than to genre.

"Romanticism was an artistic, literary, musical and intellectual movement that originated in Europe towards the end of the 18th century, and in most areas was at its peak in the approximate period from 1800 to 1890."
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • edited May 2020
    Bev,
    I'm currently reading the anthology "Dead Set"  ......enjoyed your effort once again on re-read, plus are there some very solid efforts from your co-writers.....for some reason I'm on a dead lurch through zombo stories here of late.....
    Notaro
  • That's the anthology where "Zombies on a Plane" first appeared -- later in Flight or Fright.
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • That's the anthology where "Zombies on a Plane" first appeared -- later in Flight or Fright.
    ....that's what I meant by "re-read".....caught it first in "Plane", then again in "Set".....
    NotaroHedda Gabler
  • I saw Brian Keene really talking up The Boogeyman on Twitter the other day. I know you can't say much about it, but what did you think?

And I can't wait to read The Only Good Indians!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    I saw Brian Keene really talking up The Boogeyman on Twitter the other day. I know you can't say much about it, but what did you think?

I was the first one to tell Rich he had created an entirely new genre.  It’s such a clever concept. 

The Only Good Indians has a terrific fresh perspective. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTGrant87doyoulove19
  • Grant87 said:
    I saw Brian Keene really talking up The Boogeyman on Twitter the other day. I know you can't say much about it, but what did you think?

I was the first one to tell Rich he had created an entirely new genre.  It’s such a clever concept. 

Now I'm intrigued.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTGrant87doyoulove19
  • Grant87 said:

Now I'm intrigued.

Me too! Definitely keeping an eye out for that one.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirdoyoulove19
  • ....I really enjoyed Joe's "Basketful of Heads"...his quirky sense of humor and plot twists made it a "must add" to my comic collection......the other titles in this imprint he's working with now, aren't shabby either.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • I enjoyed it -- I'm not a big graphic novel reader, and I read this one in digital form, but I blazed through it.
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited September 2020
    Enjoyed Gardner's previous Unsub books - they are quick paced reads. Waiting on Into The Black Nowhere from the library.

Also on the waiting list for Jone's - The Only Good Indians.

Just read the latest Harry Dresden book - Peace Talks. WOW! Amazed at how fresh Jim Butcher keeps the series after so many books.

Currently re-reading The Stand - with COVID and the upcoming series, the time to do so has never been better.

Hedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Enjoyed Gardner's previous Unsub books - they are quick paced reads. Waiting on Into The Black Nowhere from the library.

Just read the latest Harry Dresden book - Peace Talks. WOW! Amazed at how fresh Jim Butcher keeps the series after so many books.

Currently re-reading The Stand - with COVID and the upcoming series, the time to do so has never been better.

Wow - you sound like olddarth - he is doing the same thing!

Looking forward to the TV series - I hope I can get it up here

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Enjoyed Gardner's previous Unsub books - they are quick paced reads. Waiting on Into The Black Nowhere from the library.

....it is definitely a CoVidcentric kinda read....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Neesy said:
    Enjoyed Gardner's previous Unsub books - they are quick paced reads. Waiting on Into The Black Nowhere from the library.

Wow - you sound like olddarth - he is doing the same thing!

Looking forward to the TV series - I hope I can get it up here

We are one and the same! :D
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • Also currently listening to Elevation on my daily walk. Love it when Sai King reads his own work.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • Updated
    ....I've read the first issue, awaiting my final one to arrive-so I can read them straight through.....artwork is good, humor as quirky as I expected and the concept, while not groundbreaking, is solidly done.......
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • I got a digital ARC of the entire series for review. Lots of math! 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy