Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

January '04

Author: Bev Vincent

As Lilja commented to me today, there's been little activity on this part of the forum lately. The reason for that is that there's been nothing new to report! However, my editor told me today that he is now working on my manuscript and hopes to be finished with it in the next week or so. He seems pleased with the modifications I made after his first report, so I'm happy.

I'll be making some changes based on the revised DT7 manuscript I hope to get next week. It's not the final edited version, but it's a newer increment than the one I got in the fall of '02. We're also gathering up some neat photographs that may illustrate the book. Not many, but I think people will like what we have in mind and I hope it all comes together.

Thus begins the countdown: Ten months to publication! Slightly longer than it takes to conceive and bring a child to full term but (hopefully) less painful. I still have to face the dreaded getting-the-author-photo-taken ordeal but, thanks to my wife's Christmas gifts, at least I have some new duds for the process. I had to get passport pictures taken this past week and for them you have to adopt a neutral facial expression (the logic being that not many people are smiling when they're chatting with customs and immigration, I guess!) and no one expects your passport photo to look good, so that wasn't so painful. I'll tell you all how the photo shoot works out once I get off my procrastinating butt and get it scheduled.

Author: Darth Pookie

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

As Lilja commented to me today, there's been little activity on this part of the forum lately. The reason for that is that there's been nothing new to report! However, my editor told me today that he is now working on my manuscript and hopes to be finished with it in the next week or so. He seems pleased with the modifications I made after his first report, so I'm happy.

I'll be making some changes based on the revised DT7 manuscript I hope to get next week. It's not the final edited version, but it's a newer increment than the one I got in the fall of '02. We're also gathering up some neat photographs that may illustrate the book. Not many, but I think people will like what we have in mind and I hope it all comes together.

Thus begins the countdown: Ten months to publication! Slightly longer than it takes to conceive and bring a child to full term but (hopefully) less painful. I still have to face the dreaded getting-the-author-photo-taken ordeal but, thanks to my wife's Christmas gifts, at least I have some new duds for the process. I had to get passport pictures taken this past week and for them you have to adopt a neutral facial expression (the logic being that not many people are smiling when they're chatting with customs and immigration, I guess!) and no one expects your passport photo to look good, so that wasn't so painful. I'll tell you all how the photo shoot works out once I get off my procrastinating butt and get it scheduled.

So is it going to be published day-and-date with DT7 and The Concordance (Volume II)?

That's my hope. I'm not sure about the pub date for Robin's Concordance. Unfortunately, she has to wait for the final layout of DT7 to be established because she includes page references in her books, so there's a chance that hers might not come out at exactly the same time as DT7. Remains to be seen how quickly they can crash production on that one. But my ideal is to be on the shelves the same day as DT7 and I hope my publisher agrees.

Author: Darth Pookie

That's my hope. I'm not sure about the pub date for Robin's Concordance. Unfortunately, she has to wait for the final layout of DT7 to be established because she includes page references in her books, so there's a chance that hers might not come out at exactly the same time as DT7. Remains to be seen how quickly they can crash production on that one. But my ideal is to be on the shelves the same day as DT7 and I hope my publisher agrees.

Darn! That's three books I have to buy now in November. Just kidding, Bev. :) I'm looking forward to buying your book, DT7 and The Concordance (Volume II) the first chance I have to get them.

Author: Original Torch

I'm not really very interested in getting the concordance, but for the others I'm chomping at the pro'verbial' bit.

And when you put it that way Bev, ten months doesn't seem that long.

Torch.

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

I wish I had part two of the concordance now -- it's a great research tool! But I'll certainly be picking it up when it comes out this fall.

Author: newinside

Bev,

I think this may have been asked before, but are you going to be doing any signings or anything? I ask only because I am curious, as I doubt that you would be making to anywhere close enough for me to come by (though, if you feel like stopping by central Ohio, I have the most comfortable couch in my entire apartment complex. How can you turn down something like that from a complete stranger?).

So far, I have no idea if my publisher will be sponsoring any signings. If they don't, then my signings will be limited to conferences I attend, things within driving distance of me and any other place I happen to be traveling to that I can arrange. I have this fantasy of stopping in airport bookstores and signing the stacks and stacks of copies that have just arrived to replenish the stack that just sold out the day before!

At this point, it looks like I will be going to World Fantasy in Tempe at the end of October and at least even odds that I'll be at NECON in Rhode Island this summer. Both of those are pre-release, though. I'd probably have ARCs at World Fantasy.

Cities within my driving circle: Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio.

Thanks for the offer of the couch, by the way. Best offer I've had all day!

Author: eta6

Its great to hear things are coming along great.

Say, are you still going to reveal that surprise you hinted at last month? ;) ;) ;)

Yes, but January is still young! I'm waiting for someone else to decide to make an announcement before I do.

I just had a call from my editor and he's very, very happy with the revised draft I sent him in November.

Now it goes on to copyediting. In about a month I should hear back from them with any questions of a technical nature. Grammar, things like that.

Well, it is good to know that you appreciate the offer of the couch. Given that I don't really have too much worth stealing, I will generally invite most people into my house (though I don't think that I could have Bev there right now, as the thought of being in the same room with someone that has already read DTVI and DTVII might be too much for me).

I am also eagerly awaiting this announcement. I assume the other announcement referred to is a specific one? I mean, if you are just waiting for someone to make some kind of announcement (like when I was in school and finished a test first I always waited for someone else to turn it in because I hated to be first), I can start making announcements.

I hereby announce that I recently proposed to my girlfriend and we are now engaged!

I hereby announce that I got a haircut yesterday!

(if these announcements have to be true, then ignore that second one. the first one, which is probably a bigger deal then that second one anyway, is true.)

Congratulations on the grand news, David. A great way to get the new year off and running.

But, yes, I'm waiting for a specific announcement before I pass along the news I have in mind. Nice try, though.

I should have known that I wouldnt be able to trick the all powerful one...

maybe next time.

(thanks for the congrats, of course).

Very, very tricksy, he is. :p
  • Author: CRinVA

The guy that portrayed Gollum in the LOTR was on our local Elliot in the Morning on radio. He was pretty cool. The DJ asked him to say somethign about listening to Elliot in the Morning so that they can play it over and over again like with other celebrities. Well he was great - he went right into his Gollum two personalities and gave them a great sound bite!

Very tricksie indeed! :D

Author: eta6

Well, now I have to keep a very close eye on this site and wait...

Will do!

I'm glad I've got someone else paying attention to these things! My agent e-mailed me today to say that the advance from the Dutch publisher had just come through. I'd forgotten about it completely!

Author: Ratty

Remember that $10 i lent you the other week... sure you do... :)

Do you take Guilders. Or, rather, Euros?

Author: Kev

Do you take Guilders.

Dennis Guilders?

Bev, now that the books are coming out earlier, is your book still timed to coincide?

I hope to have that information today. The King announcement came out so late on Friday that I wasn't able to get in touch with my editor. Stay tuned! I'm very hopeful that “Road” will be a September book. We're far enough along in the process that we should be able to handle the change. It depends greatly, I expect, on publishing slots and things of that ilk of which I know naught.

Author: HomerjSmpsn

Hi,

I was wondering where I will be able to buy the Road to the Dark Tower book here in good ole Salt Lake City?

Thanks

Originally posted by HomerjSmpsn

I was wondering where I will be able to buy the Road to the Dark Tower book here in good ole Salt Lake City?

Thanks

The Road to the Dark Tower will be available anywhere you buy books -- Barnes and Noble, Waldenbooks, Amazon, etc.