Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

From the back cover...

Probably not finalized, but the current version:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed

It has been more than thirty years since Stephen King penned those words on a ream of bright green paper to begin his epic fantasy--and the crowning achievement of his literary career--The Dark Tower. Inspired by Robert Browning's poem “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came” as well as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and the spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone, King's seven-volume saga follows Roland, the last gunslinger, on his quest to reach the Dark Tower and not only save the world, but save every world across countless dimensions, all threatened by the Crimson King.

With the full cooperation of Stephen King himself, The Road to the Dark Tower examines the epic journey of the author, a quest that undoubtedly mirrors Roland's, to complete a story that threatened to overwhelm him. From a series of short stories originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, The Dark Tower evolved over time to encompass King's entire fictional universe.

In this indispensable companion, Bev Vincent presents a book-by-book analysis of each volumen in the series, tracing The Dark Tower's connections to King's other titles, including The Stand, Insomnia, and Hearts in Atlantis, and offering insights from the author about the creative process involved incrafting his lifelong work--a work that consumed not only Stephen King, but his legion of constant readers.

Comments

• Author: newinside

Very nice, Bev.

Did you write this? If not, did you have say over the content of it?

Author: Bev Vincent

It's the first time I've seen it. Some of it is derived from my proposal material and from the book itself, but it's something conjured up by the marketing people. That's usually how dust jacket copy is done -- it's never written by the author.

Author: newinside

Interesting. This is a whole world I know very little about.

Learn something new everyday, I suppose.

There have been cases where the person writing the DJ blurb hasn't actually had a chance to read the book, though that's a less-than-ideal situation. And then there are the goof-ups, like calling the priest Father Cody on the original DJ of 'Salem's Lot!

Author: Blaine

It sounds very epical Bev,

and I like it very much!

Author: DTUK

Another step closer...:)

Author: Lin242

#) I like it very much, it certainly is complimentary to your hard work, Bev.

Lin

Author: Old Darth

Good blurb - hope you have a section dealing on the genesis of the series - in particular the short stories he wrote for F&SF.

Indeed I do. What's especially interesting about the F&SF appearances is that King wrote synopses before them that are his first commentaries on the story itself while it was evolving.

Author: Old Darth

Indeed I do. What's especially interesting about the F&SF appearances is that King wrote synopses before them that are his first commentaries on the story itself while it was evolving.
    #)

Very cool Bev! My excitement level moved up another notch!

Author: AuntyNay

Very cool Bev. I can't wait to read this book.

I just finished reading it last night for the first time in months and I'm really pleased with it. Now I have to go through it one more time as I proof it, so I expect to get bored with it very soon, though!

Author: AuntyNay

Hey you want someone else to do that boring proof reading for you my address is.... :D

Well, you'd have to read 1500 pages of Dark Tower manuscripts plus 400 pages of my book in the next seven days -- up to the challenge? ~0

Author: eta6

I am. ;)