Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Children of the Corn, Parts 1 through ∞

2»

Comments

• Somebody should tell EW that SK's credit is just some quirky Writer's Guild thing.  Their Tonight's Best TV section lists the film as follows:

9-11PM Syfy, TV-14-LSV

From Our Contributor

Children of the Corn

Stephen King wrote the script for this remake based on the movie based on his book. Now the crop circle is complete.
  • A less than glowing review

As a Nebraska native and a corn farmer's grandson, I'm offended by this remake of the cult classic. As a TV critic, I'm offended by how badly the film wastes the talented David Anders and Kandyse McClure. The actors--especially the lovely McClure--aren't given a whole lot to do but bicker, scream and look frightened.

They play a couple near divorce who are driving through Nebraska when they come upon a seemingly abandoned, podunk town that they eventually learn is inhabited by a group of creepy, fanatical kids--who are not at all like real Nebraskans! (Well, most of them, anyway.)

This remake, adapted by Stephen King himself, sticks more closely to his original story than the 1980s movie. And although it doesn't provide enough information about the main characters to make me care whether they live or die, the movie was bloody enough to make me think twice about visiting the parents again.

(The myth that King wrote the script persists...)
  • Backward casting plagues otherwise thrilling Syfy film

By MICHAEL HINMAN

I'm sorry, but there are two movies from my childhood that still give me nightmares to this day. The original "Poltergeist," and the first attempt to bring Stephen King's "Children of the Corn" to the screen.

The current Syfy adaptation that premieres Saturday night doesn't have the same fear factor that came with the Fritz Kiersch original, but the overall premise seemed more attuned to what King was trying to demonstrate: religious zealotry a bit out of control.

The film stars David Anders ("Heroes") and Kandyse McClure ("Battlestar Galactica") as a newlywed couple who really are on their way to a divorce. They find themselves arguing during a road trip that takes them through cornfields in the middle of nowhere when fate deals them a joker.

Some years before, the children of a small Nebraska town decide to overthrow the adults, and with the help of some demon of the cornfields, take control.

The film opens strong, actually, with the preaching of the first child corn leader some years before the events of the main story. However, this great opening monologue only accentuates something that becomes quickly obvious: This new adaptation of "Children of the Corn" might be well written and even well directed, but its terrible casting decisions when it comes to the children just bring this film down.

Robert Gerdisch, who was more than capable of portraying a great orator and believable child leader, is quickly replaced by Preston Bailey as Issac, the leader we're forced to endure the rest of the film. It's not that Bailey did a terrible job -- he was simply upstaged by Gerdisch, who should have had a much larger role in the film.

All in all, the new adaptation of "Children of the Corn" is probably as close to the original King short story we'll ever see, and the ride to the very end is worth it.

What Worked

Anders and McClure were perfectly cast for this film. While it might be hard to believe that a mixed-race marriage could be so accepted in what I think was supposed to be the late 1960s or early 1970s, we never had a chance to see anyone even notice the couple outside of the crazy psycho children.

The two may at first seem to be stunt casting by Syfy to try and bring some extra viewers to what is normally not a good Saturday original movie lineup, but you quickly forget the previous roles of both Anders and McClure as they truly embrace the characters of Burton and Vicki Stanton.

Also, while director Donald P. Borchers didn't have to resort to extreme gore or sudden jumps to keep audiences at the edge of their seats, "Children of the Corn" definitely is thrilling, and seems slightly more plausible than the version we saw in the 1980s.

But then again, that's just me.

What Didn't Work

I just didn't like some of the kids. People who should've been talking weren't talking, and those who weren't talking should've been talking. It's like someone came in and decided to switch all the parts around and not tell the director.

There was one scene where two boys in the middle of the hunt for Burton have a lengthy dialogue that showed the younger boy should not quit elementary school. Seriously, the kid had more lines than McClure, yet she's the one that can act. All I could do is shake my head, and wonder which network executive this was the child of.

Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due

"Children of the Corn" stars David Anders, Kandyse McClure, Daniel Newman and Ryan Bertroche. It was written by Donald P. Borchers and Stephen King based on King's short story, and was directed by Borchers.

"Children of the Corn" airs Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on Syfy.

Sneak Peek
  • I tried to watch this movie yesterday and I simply couldn't make myself sit through it. I'm not a big fan of the original, and I don't even care for the short story all that much, but the strident bickering of the two main characters seemed so unreal that it got on my nerves. I turned it off about 45 minutes in.
  • Many audiences have been focused on a variety of Stephen King adaptations that are headed our way in 2018, like the Castle Rock TV series or the second season of Mr. Mercedes, but many may have forgotten that an all-new sequel in the Children of the Corn franchise is landing on Blu-ray, DVD and VOD in March. Check out the all-new trailer for Children of the Corn: Runaway above before it debuts on March 13.

Children of the Corn: Runaway tells the story of young, pregnant Ruth, who escapes a murderous child cult in a small Midwestern town. She spends the next decade living anonymously in an attempt to spare her son the horrors that she experienced as a child. Ruth and her son end up in a small Oklahoma town, but something is following her. Now, she must confront this evil or lose her child.

>>> Source
  • ....interesting, but not sure I'm thrilled with a reboot that bears little to no resemblance to the source material....reimagining is always welcome, but honor the original-don't just take the title....
    KurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • Kurt Wimmer’s redo of Stephen King’s Children of the Corn has been picked up by RLJE Films and AMC network’s horror streaming service Shudder. The movie will hit theaters on March 3 in an 18 day theatrical window before hitting demand and digital on March 21.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurben
  • The latest Children of the Corn film--number, what?  11?  12?--a remake, will be appearing in theaters March 3 and digital March 21.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurben
  • Guess there are few more kernels to pop on that ear of corn...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ...He who walks behind the Redux....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I don’t know. It looked horrible. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • I don’t know. It looked horrible. 
    Well..., it is a horror movie. So Horrible good or Horrible bad??
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Kurben said:
    I don’t know. It looked horrible. 
    Well..., it is a horror movie. So Horrible good or Horrible bad??
    .....BAD....with a captial "Yuck".....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I wasn't scared. That should tell you something. 😃
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben