Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Doctor Sleep: September 24th 2013

edited November 2009 in General news
From Wizard's Rainbow at tdt.com:

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

He also said that a sequal to Black House is still in the works (known info), but also he has always wondered what happened to Danny Torrence. He'd be about 40 now, says King....

Comments

• Update from MN:

King elaborated on his idea about where Danny Torrence is today. He said Danny's working in a hospice, taking care of the dying. He has an idea for a novel with Danny and also a title--Dr. Sleep--but also said he thinks the idea has gone beyond its sell by date and that the time for writing such a book has passed.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: He has an idea for a novel with Danny and also a title--Dr. Sleep--but also said he thinks the idea has gone beyond its sell by date and that the time for writing such a book has passed.

Whatever. ::) Look at the time between Jack Sawyer's stories. Black House turned out just fine. Hopefully he's just playing coy.
  • I don't trust King's assessment of his own work. For example, look at Blaze, Under the Dome (which started out as The Cannibals), his first impression of Carrie (which Tabitha rescued from the trash), etc.

John
  • He talked about it again in Toronto: "He also mentioned that he wanted to, or already had begun work on a sequel to The Shining. Danny Torrance is now 40 years old and is an orderly of sorts in a retirement home and he uses his 'shine' to help the dying. Something along those lines. He even asked what the audience thought of a title..Dr Sleep."
  • Stephen King on proposed 'Shining' sequel: 'People shouldn't hold their breath'

by Kristen Baldwin

On the heels of the news that best-selling horror master (and EW columnist) told the audience at a Toronto book signing that he was considering writing a sequel to The Shining, King tells EW.com that he[ch8217]s got no immediate plans to revisit the character of Danny Torrance. [ch8220]It[ch8217]s a great idea, and I just can[ch8217]t seem to get down to it,[ch8221] says the author in an e-mail. [ch8220]People shouldn[ch8217]t hold their breath. I know it would be cool, though. I want to write it just for the title, Dr. Sleep. I even told them [at the book signing], [ch8216]It will probably never happen.[ch8217][ch8221] Still, King [ch8212] whose most recent novel is this month[ch8217]s Under the Dome [ch8212] can[ch8217]t quite shut the door on the Shining sequel, adding, [ch8220]But [ch8216]probably[ch8217] isn[ch8217]t [ch8216]positively,[ch8217] so maybe.[ch8221]
  • Listen to Stephen King read a chapter from the sequel to The Shining

At an awards ceremony at George Mason University last Friday, Stephen King regaled audiences with a chapter from Doctor Sleep, his upcoming novel about a grown-up Danny Torrance from The Shining.

In the book, Danny is a hospice worker who uses his powers to help ill patients to pass away without pain. Unfortunately, he runs afoul of a gang of wandering psychic vampires who feed on people's energy.
  • Awesome! King just keeps on trucking.
  • King reading intro to Dr. Sleep at Savannah Book Festival

[media]
  • THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE audiobook will offer an exclusive audio preview of King’s upcoming novel, DOCTOR SLEEP, the eagerly-awaited sequel to his classic, THE SHINING, to be published in 2013. Stephen King will also read the excerpt from DOCTOR SLEEP.
  • Message from Steve - Doctor Sleep

Posted: March 2nd, 2012 11:43:56 am EST

Hey, you guys and gals: I've done public readings from next year's Shining sequel a couple of times now, but if you got the idea from any of the blog posts that the audio sample at the end of the forthcoming Wind Through the Keyhole CDs is just the five-minute snippet I read last month in Savannah...think again. It's the entire prologue of the book (called LOCKBOX). It's 25 manuscript pages and runs a little shy of half an hour when read aloud. If you're looking for a return to balls-to-the-wall, keep-the-lights-on horror, get ready. And don't say you weren't warned.
  • The man is busy again.

And with announcements of Hardcover releases from Simon & Schuster of the Talisman and Black House one has to wonder if the third book is on the horizon.
  • It's not -- they haven't even started working on it. I think the S&S announcement must have something to do with a reversion of rights, as Black House was a Random House book and The Talisman was Viking.
  • Ah well. One can dream.
  • Ms. Mod indicates that the title will be Doctor Sleep (as opposed to Dr. Sleep)
  • U.S. publication date for Doctor Sleep has been tentatively set for January 15, 2013

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.
  • Product Details

Scribner, January 15, 2013

Hardcover, 544 pages

ISBN-10: 1451698844

ISBN-13: 9781451698848

List Price: $30.00

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Do.../9781451698848

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Sleep-S.../dp/1451698844

John
  • Simon & schuster link don't work any more...

Lilja
  • According to a twitter post, the release date is going to be changed, too.
  • And probably later since it still says 2013 on King's site.

Lilja
  • It's official, Doctor Sleep, Stephen's highly anticipated sequel to The Shining will be released by Scribner and Hodder & Stoughton on September 24th 2013.
  • It is going to be a long wait.
  • We'll have Joyland before then, to tide us over.
  • There's a three page interview with King in the newest issue of EW about Doctor Sleep. "6 Books We Can't Wait For -- Stephen King on His Shining Sequel"