Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Promotion

Author: Bev Vincent

Writers who hide their lamps under baskets don't sell books.

You can't stay quiet about something, and the process of getting the word out about your book isn't limited to what your publisher's publicity and marketing department can do. It's up to the author to take charge and spread the news, to do whatever he/she can to get people everywhere interested in and aware of your work.

I've been doing a little bit of that off and on lately. The problem is to not blow your moment too soon. If people hear about your book now, they're going to want it now.

Still, I've been planting little seeds in diverse places. One is in the departmental newsletter from the university where I graduated longer ago than I care to remember. This piece ran in the most recent issue:

Bev Vincent (BSc '83, PhD '88, Cameron/Knop) has signed a contract with NAL/Dutton (an imprint of Penguin-Putnam) to write a book entitled, The Road to the Dark Tower, the first critical evaluation of Stephen King's epic Dark Tower series. The book is being done with King's approval and should be published in late 2004, coordinated with the release of the final book in King's series. The Road to the Dark Tower will likely be translated for overseas markets. Stephen King has provided Bev with the manuscripts of the yet unpublished last three books in the series to help Bev complete the work. See www.BevVincent.com for updates.

I know it reached at least some people. I had an e-mail from an old friend of mine who is now teaching at a college in Cyprus who read the article.

I also sent the news in to my university alumni newsletter, where the following ran: “Bev Vincent, BSC’83, PHD, has signed a contract with NAL/Dutton (an imprint of Penguin-Putnam) to write The Road to the Dark Tower; the first critical evaluation of Stephen King’s epic Dark Tower series. The book is being done with King’s approval and will be published in 2004. See www.BevVincent.com for updates.”

I was also interviewed by the local newspaper -- that article should be out soon and I'll post a link to it if it gets online.

Alas, the interview hasn't made an on-line appearance yet, but it did show up on the bulletin board at work, blowing my cover and turning me into a bit of a mini-celebrity at the office. Not many people knew what I was up to in my off hours and it came as a great surprise to a lot of them!

I'm doing another interview for a new King-based website this week. That one will obviously be on-line, so I'll post the link here when it is up.

Author: DTUK

Has your privacy and personal life been disrupted at work? or is everyone cool with your hidden past :)

No disruptions, just lots of people stopping by my office to tell me how surprised they are and to offer congratulations. I don't talk about my personal life at work very much, so people aren't surprised that I have hidden depths!