Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

DARK TOWER: TREACHERY

edited June 2008 in Dark Tower
DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #1 (of 6)

Written by ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID

Pencils & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO

Sketch Variant Cover by JAE LEE

The ka-tet of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert have returned safely to their home in Gilead. But all is not well. Roland has kept the evil Maerlyn's Grapefruit and has become obsessed with peering into its pinkish depths despite the deadly toll it's taken on his health. And what the young gunslinger sees brings him the darkest of nightmares. Meanwhile, Roland's father has led a posse in search of those who threatened his son's life in Hambry—John Farson and the Big Coffin Hunters. And in this encounter, Stephen Deschain's life may be forfeit.

40 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99

Comments

• Treachery #2 (of 5) SPOILERS

With the battle between the evil John Farson's Big Coffin Hunters and Steven Deschain and his gunslingers finally over, the true death toll is revealed. Will Roland's father be among the dead? Meanwhile, in Gilead, as Roland suffers from the after-effects of his multiple encounters with Maerlyn's Grapefruit, his ka-tet desperately requires his presence at the all-important coming-of-age feast the next night, or the consequences will be dire. Worse still, Cort, the gunslingers' mentor, has chosen his niece, Aileen, to become the betrothed of young Roland . . . and Cort rarely takes no for an answer

• Would reading and of the Dark Tower comic series before the novels spoil the novels in any big or small way shape or form?

Thanks
  • Welcome to the board, Bernie.

The stories told in the graphic novels take place when the hero of the Dark Tower books was a young boy. Part of this story is told as an extended flashback during the fourth novel, Wizard and Glass. So, yes, if you read these comics, there are plot elements from that book that will be revealed--for example, what happens with Roland's mother, which is likely the arc of the Treachery series.

In brief -- they're spoilers for a flashback. However, the writers are taking some liberties with the story, adding and changing slightly to suit their long-term purposes. They tie in things we learn from later in the series, too. I can't help but think they'd be somewhat confusing to a person who didn't know anything about the series, too.
  • Thanks a lot! As of now I and a little bit more than halfway done with the first book. But i just started up my senior year of college as an English major and they are throwing tons of stuff to read at me so I am finding it hard to read it as much as I would like. I noticed that the individual comics are getting a little bit harder to find so I am doing my best with getting my hands on them so when I am ready I can just sit dawn and read them.

Bern
  • Release Date: Wed, January 28th, 2009

There is one man who stands in the way of Walter O’Dim and Good Man John Farson’s quest for power…and he must be eliminated! The critically-acclaimed comic book series, inspired by Stephen King's seminal Dark Tower, continues this week in Dark Tower: Treachery #5 (of 6)! After enlisting the wife of Steven Deschain, will she acquiesce to help them meet their goal? The adventures never stop in Mid-World and with the chart-topping team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, Roland and his Ka-Tet are being kept busy. The Crimson King will do anything to get Maerlyn’s Grapefruit and will stop at nothing to make sure that Mid-World is plunged into chaos. With a variant cover by Daniel Acuna and a sketch cover by Jae Lee, this is one issue you don’t want to miss!

Can Roland and his faithful Ka-Tet stop the crazed Farson from killing Gilead’s ruler? Why is the nightmare sphere so important to the Crimson King? Find out the answers and more when you witness Stephen King's magnum opus in the pages of DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #5 (of 6), in stores this THIS WEDNESDAY!
  • The latest critically-acclaimed comic book series, inspired by Stephen King's seminal Dark Tower, concludes this week in Dark Tower: Treachery #6 (of 6)! John Farson’s spies have infiltrated Gilead, but does Gilead stand a chance of coming out on top? Join the chart-topping team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, as they present to you the finale of another exciting adventure of Roland Deschain and his Ka-tet! Now that Gilead’s been infiltrated, John Farson wants the immensely powerful mystical object which originally Roland Deschain stole... he wants Maerlyn’s Grapefruit! And John Farson won’t let anything stand in his way before he has possession of the Grapefruit! With a variant cover by Dennis Calero and a sketch variant by Jae Lee, you’re not going to want to miss this final issue!

Jesse Schedeen of IGN.com raves, “Treachery is Dark Tower in its finest form.”

Will Maerlyn’s Grapefruit fall into the grasp of Farson? Will Roland be able to stop him if it does? Find out the answers to these questions and more, only in Stephen King’s magnum opus, Dark Tower: Treachery #6 (of 6), in stores THIS WEDNESDAY!
  • Robin Furth discusses Treachery in this interview
  • Dark Tower: Treachery

Robin Furth

List Price:$24.99

Amazon Price: $16.49

Release Date: April 7, 2009

Product Description

The ka-tet of Roland, Alain, and Cuthbert have returned safely to their home in Gilead. But all is not well. Roland has kept the evil Maerlyn's Grapefruit and has become obsessed with peering into its pinkish depths despite the deadly toll it's taken on his health. And what the young gunslinger sees brings him the darkest of nightmares. Meanwhile, Roland's father has led a posse in search of those who threatened his son's life in Hambry - John Farson and the Big Coffin Hunters. And in this encounter, Stephen Deschain's life may be forfeit. This title collects Dark Tower: Treachery numbered 1-6.