Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Unknown Soldier

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
Bev Vincent 192.246.38.120 1079454119 Y N N This story will be in issue 36 of All Hallows, the Journal of the Ghost Story Society, published by Ash Tree Press in British Columbia. Due out in June, you can order copies from them or through ShockLines.

This one has been “in press” for a long time, nearly two years, and I'd probably tweak it up a little if I had the chance to go over it again, but it is a story that has a lot of personal meaning for me. It was inspired by a business trip to Hong Kong in the early 1990s. As I was preparing to go, my father told me about a WW II memorial wall for Commonwealth soldiers killed in late 1941. My father's brother died there and his body was never recovered so all that remains is his name on that wall.

I did a lot of research into why Canadian forces were in Hong Kong in 1941 and learned a lot about the battle. At first I wrote an essay about my research and ALMOST sold it to Reader's Digest, but it didn't make the cut during their editorial meetings. Then I discovered how little market there is for historical non-fiction essays!

So I went back to square one and turned it into a ghost story. All Hallows was the perfect market, I thought. A literary Canadian ghost story journal.

I gave the story to my father to read some time in late 2002, aware that he probably wouldn't live to see its publication. I'm so glad I did.

I received the proof copy of Unknown Soldier today so I can go over it and look for any typos or formatting errors. Not many magazines provide this service. Not only that, they've given me a month to review it! The story runs nine pages.

All Hallows won the International Horror Guild award as best periodical at the ceremony held last weekend in Phoenix.

Here's the full list of winners

Comments

• All Hallows, issue 36, is scheduled to start shipping to subscribers in a couple of weeks. This issue contains my new story Unknown Soldier. You can buy single issue copies from shocklines.com.
  • I received my contributor copies over the weekend. A nice moody illustration accompanies the story.
  • Will you be putting up images of the magazine story, Bev?
  • No, sorry, I won't be doing that.
  • Have you read the book Ghost Soldier Bev?

Always like those war stories, especially true ones involving events here in Asia. The heroics and comradeship... :)

Bridge Over River Kwai was and still is one of my favorite movies.

Will try to get your story. No promises though. ;D

• If you're looking for the issue of All Hallows with Unknown Soldier, Shocklines now has it in stock.