Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Question for Bev

edited January 2009 in Collectors
Hi there. Not sure where to post this, so I hope here is fine.

As you have delved a lot into the entire DT publicity phenomenon (as well as into its universe(s), of course) in preparation for your Road to the Dark Tower book, I was wondering if you've ever come across a piece by King titled "King's Comments" which was on PenguinPutnam's site (or maybe it was NAL's)? The reason I'm asking is that I (and some other collectors) are trying to track it down, but it ain't easy, in fact it's seemingly impossible. I know there was another "King's Comments" piece about Desperation/The Regulators, but according to George Beahm (in Stephen King: America's Best-Loved Boogeyman) King did this DTV piece with the same title, in which he also mentions his secretaries.

Did you ever print it out or save it some other way? Or do you know some who might?

I'm willing to trade. I've got a lot of rare King stuff (mostly nonfiction), if you should be interested.

Comments

• I'll check my archives to see if I have it and let you know.
  • Okay-dokay. Thankee-sai.
  • I'm not finding it in my catalog, but it's possible that it's mislabeled or misfiled. If I ever stumble across it, I'll let you know.
  • Sure thing. There is a slight possibility that it may be called King Talks (or so the URL could say). I'm sure the piece was together with another "King's Comments" (the one about Desperation/The Regulators) on NAL/Penguin's site (which I have).

I do know George Beahm must know of it, but, alas, can't reach him. He's got no e-mail addy any longer.

But, yeah, let me know if you stumble upon it. Thanks again.

• Hi Bev.

I've scanned the page from Beahm's book that describe the "King's Comments." Is it possible that I can e-mail you the scan so you know

what to look for?
  • Just send me the page numbers - I have the book
  • It's page 208.
  • That quote ("I have three women who work in my office...") sounded familiar to me, so I looked it up in The Road to the Dark Tower -- it's from Walden Book Report, December 1997.
  • Thanks. Will hunt that down. My bet is it appeared online first, then in

Walden Book. Or do you think Beahm got it a bit wrong and confused the piece with the Comments from Penguin's site about Desperation/Regulators?

One last question: Do you have the piece in any of its form?

Okay, one more last question: Do you have the Desperation/Regulators Comments saved from the Net?
  • Hmmm, it must have been an interview then, not a piece written by King.
  • It was a two-part interview in the November and December issues of the Walden Book Report, a free magazine that Walden Books used to give away. It was promoting the trade paperback release of Wizard and Glass.
  • Thankee-sai. So what once appeared on that website must just have been an extract from that interview. That was likely also the case with the other King's Comments about Desperation/Regulators (which, by looking at it now, seems to be the case).

So, to sum it up, these two King's Comments pieces are not really written by King.

Thankee-sai for your detective work.
  • Someone e-mailed me an interview about Desperation/Regulators and can see the other King's Comments piece about these two books, is also an extract from that interview.

So I got the two mysteries solved.

Do you have, or know someone who has that unpublished Dark Tower: A Cautionary Tale essay? It might be a restricted item, so I understand if it can't be shared.

I don't know how into collecting King you are, or not, but as I've written before, I can likely provide you some items in return if you'd like.

Lemme know.
  • I inquired about "A Cautionary Tale" when I was working on Road to the Dark Tower and ascertained that a copy of it does exist in King's office, but I didn't get a copy of it then and I don't know of anyone who has a copy of it. I suspect that it may have been reworked into other essays, such as Politics of Limited Editions, etc. It was written after Pet Sematary came out and discusses King's decision to allow a second printing of The Gunslinger, even though it might affect the value of the first printing.
  • Alrighty then. Thanks for the info.