Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Call from an editor for a major publisher

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
The wildest thing happened to me on Friday night. My wife is out of town and my daughter had plans, so I decided to go the local pub for a Guinness or two after work, something I never do. The pub is on a feeder road right next to the Interstate, so the traffic noise is pretty heavy, especially out on the deck, which is where I chose to sit to minimize the smoke. I had my book with me (The Life of Pi) and was just unwinding...or winding up for the weekend.

Just before my second Guinness arrived, my cell phone rang. I thought it would be my daughter, but the screen showed a 212 area code -- New York -- but it wasn't my agent or editor. This was around 6:30 Central, 7:30 in NY. Hmmmm....

The background noise is so loud that I have a hard time hearing, so I walk around to find the quietest corner I can. The caller is the editor for Time Warner, who is publishing the paperback edition of Borderlands 5. I figure it's something to do with contracts for that, but no!

She's calling me to say that she really liked my story (One of Those Weeks) and wanted to find out if I had a novel. She said “Weeks” was just her kind of story and she's very eager to read my next novel when it's ready. I told her about what I was working on now (RTTDT) and that I was starting a novel and put her in contact with my agent.

It was surreal as hell, but it sure put a bounce in my step for the rest of the evening. I couldn't concentrate on the pages I was reading and I didn't even really want to finish my beer -- what I wanted to do was rush home and write my wife an e-mail to share this great news...and that's exactly what I did.