Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Series 4: The Fall of Gilead

edited February 2009 in Dark Tower
Issue 1:

A horrified Steven Deschain learns that the deadly seeing sphere called Maerlyn’s Grapefruit has been stolen from his chambers! Far worse, when he enters his wife’s rooms to arrest her for the theft, his son Roland is standing over her body with a gun in his hand. The youngest gunslinger has perhaps committed the most hideous crime of all!

IN STORES: May 6, 2009

Comments

• Lilja reports: For the 4th arc of The Dark Tower, The Fall of Gilead, Jae Lee's artistic partner in the series from the beginning, Richard Isanove, is doing the art by himself. No reason for this has been given by Marvel at this time.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Lilja reports: For the 4th arc of The Dark Tower, The Fall of Gilead, Jae Lee's artistic partner in the series from the beginning, Richard Isanove, is doing the art by himself. No reason for this has been given by Marvel at this time.
    According to a comment by Rob3312 at http://comics.ign.com/articles/973/973323p1.html:
    ... According to [Richard Isanove] Jae has had to skip ahead to the next mini (Battle of Jericho Hill) in order to give it the artwork it deserves (since it is the climax of the story) while being able to make Marvel's release schedule. ...
    Can anybody confirm this?

I wasn't able to find the post by Mr. Isanove which Rob3312 mentioned, unfortunately. :(

Anybody else?!

If that's really what went down, I'm a little disappointed to be honest with you. I value Mr. Isanove's art but I'd prefer the same team for the entire run! I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer for that!!!

What do you think?
  • Isanove did the artwork for the one-off Sorcerer and I didn't notice a difference with the previous issues.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Isanove did the artwork for the one-off Sorcerer and I didn't notice a difference with the previous issues.
    I'm sorry, but I tend to disagree. Jesse Schedeen put it nicely in his review of "Sorcerer at http://comics.ign.com/articles/973/973323p1.html in my opinion:
    As for Isanove, I'm forced to admit that I underestimated just how crucial his role has been in crafting the look and feel of Mid-World. The angular lines, dark shadows, and eerie hues of Roland's world are as apparent as ever. If any portion of the visuals suffer, it's the character design. Isanove simply lacks Lee's skill in rendering imposing, breathtaking figures. Not many have this skill, admittedly. Whereas Lee's figures appear chiseled out of raw stone, Isanove's are a bit more dull and organic. It's a minor complaint most of the time, expect (sic!) when vile creatures like the Crimson King rear their grotesque heads.
  • Hi

First of all, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the work.

I just wanted to clarify something: I'm sorry if i gave Auguste Miller the impression that Jae was messing up deadlines (even though i have no idea who he is and when or where I could have said that). The book always made it out on time and when it got tight, i was just as much at fault as Jae. I might have whined about the schedule, but all in all, it hasn't been worse or better than any other book I've worked on. Just look at the artists I've been associated with in the past...

When we started on Dark Tower, the plan was to have a few months break between each story arc that would allow us to get a head start on the next one and spend about 5 to 6 weeks per issue. We were losing readers during those breaks so we lost our buffer.

The 5th story arc, the one after the current "Fall Of Gilead" is the "Battle of Jericho Hill". It's the Epic battle, the climax of the whole series and a key event in the Gunslinger's mythology. Armies facing each other in total mayhem along the lines of "Lawrence of Arabia", "Ran" or "Braveheart" but with cowboys in a medieval setting. The only way for Jae to be able to put into it the work that it deserves was to get a head start. So, while i'll be doing double duties on "Fall of Gilead" and try to keep the look of the series as consistent as possible, he will be pencilling the "Battle of Jericho Hill".

That's all, nothing nefarious. Sorry if it lacks the glamour of an irreconcilable conflict. The idea came about while i was doing Sorcerer, only a few weeks ago. Hence the lack of publicity around it, which works fine for me: if it sucks I'd rather no one shined a spotlight on it.

Cheers

-Richard