Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Lady of Lost Lake

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
This story will appear in the debut issue of a new magazine called Dark Discoveries, due out in the first qurter of 2004. The magazine's web site is darkdiscoveries.com, but it's only just getting started now.

Author: Bill Gauthier

Congrats, Bev. Also, thanks for the website. I just asked them to send along guidelines.

Bill

Author: Bev Vincent

The editor, James Beach, is very responsive -- he accepted my story in about a week. He originally planned issue 2 to be late in 2004 but response has been sufficiently positive that he may squeeze in a third issue on his way to becoming a quarterly.

Author: Jreitan47

That's awesome, Bev! James is a great guy (a fellow Oregonian, Stephen King collector AND a SKEMER) and he also asked me to write reviews for him as well as an author interview or two...my first one will be with Steve Gerlach (as soon as I get to reading RAGE). I look forward to reading your story!

It started on this very page...

Bev, I got those guidelines and submitted a story. I'm happy to announce “The Umbrella People” will be in the first issue of DARK DISCOVERIES...along with a certain Bev Vincent.

Thanks for the arrow pointing to DD!

Bill

Author: Rache4173

Way to go Bill!! :D

Networking (however unofficial it is) can be such a good thing!

Author: Ronin

Yes, well done to the both of you. I will have to get myself a copy.

Excellent, Bill! Hearty congratulations. And Dark Discoveries pays on acceptance -- I got my check in the mail last Friday.

Thank you one and all.

A story of mine is posted at NAKED SNAKE ONLINE at http://www.nakedsnakepress.com. It's called “Old Nelly's Black Magic Closet.” I'm awaiting payment for this one...

Thanks again,
Bill

The cover of Dark Discoveries, containing this story as well as one by Bill Gauthier is now up.

I like the cover. And the line-up would make me want to read even if I wasn't in it. I can't wait to get it.

Bill

I received my copies today....DAMN! What a fine looking magazine! Everything from the layout, the ads, articles...it's perfect. I haven't sat down and read it yet (I'll get some of it read at work today) but I'm sure Bill's and Bev's stories are superb. The thing that blew me away about this magazine was that every page (not just the cover) was the glossy type of paper making it seem SOOO professional! I had no idea it was going to be a glossy magazine, I was expecting something like the design of Cemetery Dance.

I'm not saying this because James is a good friend of mine and because I write for him but PLEASE do yourself a favor and head on over to www.darkdiscoveries.com and buy yourself a copy of the first issue, a subscription or wait until Matt at Shocklines starts carrying it. You wont regret it and you just can't afford to miss this one.

Mine ain't here yet...boo hoo...I look forward to it.

Bill

Don't have mine yet, either.

Don't be discouraged.....I live 15 minutes away from James so of course it's going to get to me first.

Bev -- I read Lady of Lost Lake last night and have nothing but good things to say about it! I just loved it and at first it really reminded me of the group of friends in Dreamcatcher and then The Raft and just early Stephen King goodness all around.

Bill -- I'll read your story tonight!

Thanks for the feedback, Jonathan. The first draft of that story is a few years old, but it's been through the revision wringer several times in recent years. It's probably the only one of my stories that I can put a finger on and say it has strong King influences.

Comments

• Just received my copy of this Bev and - again - enjoyed your story.

Any thoughts of fleshing out the backstory of the Lady? ie why does she do what she does?

Congrats! Still waiting for my copy of TRTTDT - grumble, grumble...
  • Glad you liked it...and, no, I have no plans to explain the mystery of why she is what she is. She just is. :)
  • She just is.

Understood, mysterious she is. 8)
  • I came here via Horrorworld and saw a few of the posts including this one. It was an honor to have both you and Bill in issue #1, Bev, as well as a few appearances since. People still compliment both of your stories from issue #1. Bill has also had a story in issue #2, which was very well recieved also, as well as a nonfiction column in #3 (you think we like his writing a little bit?).

Unfortunately the fast response time went out the window as a huge amount of people began submitting over time but we still try to keep it to 2-3 months.

As I also announced in another post here, issue #3 is out now with a great interview with Bev Vincent by Jon Reitan. You can check out the website for more info on how to order.

- James

www.darkdiscoveries.com
  • Glad you dropped by, James. The upshift in response times is certainly understandable, and a positive reaction to the magazine, I think, since people were very pleased with what they saw in the first couple of issues.
  • This short story will be reprinted in volume 1 of Tales from the Lake from the South African publisher Crystal Lake Publishing sometime next year.

The current TOC consists of Graham Masterton, Taylor Grant, John Paul Allen, G.N. Braun, Charles Day, John Palisano, Blaze McRob, Bev Vincent, Elizabeth Massie, Tim Curran and Joan De La Haye, with more to come.

There's an open contest for some of the slots in this anthology: http://www.crystallakepub.com/competition-page.php
  • Ooo! That's very cool of them.
  • edited March 2014

The winner of Crystal Lake Publishing's Tales from the Lake horror writing competition - 2013 is... Jenn Loring!

1st place: Jenn Loring with The Fine Art of Wrecking
    2nd place: J. J Daniel Stone with Alternative Muses
    3rd place: William Ritchie with Las Maquinas

I’m pleased to announce that instead of publishing only the winner’s story in Tales From the Lake Vol.1, we’ll be publishing all three stories.

Honourable Mentions go to:
    Picture Perfect by Eric Dimbleby
    False Prophet by Joshua L. Hood
    Healer by Sam Witt
    Strange Presents by Richard Farren Barber

The final TOC for Tales From the Lake Vol.1 is now as follows:
    Graham Masterton
    Taylor Grant
    G.N. Braun
    John Palisano
    Charles Day
    John Paul Allen
    Joan De La Haye
    Bev Vincent
    Tim Curran
    Elizabeth Massie
    Tim Waggoner
    Blaze McRob (poetry)
    Jenn Loring
    J. Daniel Stone
    William Ritchie

Thanks again to our amazing judges: Geoff Brown, Taylor Grant, Charles Day, John Paul Allen and John Palisano.

Jenn also wins:
    Fifty US Dollars
    Bragging rights
    A bio page on the Crystal Lake Publishing website and lots of promotions/interviews
    One hell of a career boost
    The opportunity to submit your very own short story collection or novella for possible publication by us
    A signed Limited Edition (collectors issue) copy of the very first Evil Jester Presents comic book
    1st place certificate

J. Daniel Stone will also receive:
    Thirty US Dollars
    A signed copy of either a G.N. Braun or John Palisano novel
    A 20 000 word edit by Joe Mynhardt
    2nd place certificate

William Ritchie takes home:
    Ten US Dollars
    A 10 000 word edit by Joe Mynhardt
    A signed copy of either a G.N. Braun or John Palisano novel (depending on the choice of the 2nd place winner)
    3rd place certificate
  • edited March 2014
    From the editor:

Here it is, folks. The stories to look forward to in Tales From the Lake Vol.1, in alphabetical order (if everyone thing runs smoothly, it could be published by end of June, definitely end of July):

O’Halloran’s by John Paul Allen
    Junksick by G. N. Braun AUTHOR
    Devil’s Night by Tim Curran
    Game On by Charles Day
    The Reunion by Joan De La Haye
    Dead Pull by Taylor Grant
    The Fine Art of Wrecking by Jennifer Loring (Jenn Loring) (winner of Tales From the Lake 2013)
    Don’t Look at Me by Elizabeth Massie
    Witch-Compass by Graham Masterton
    Devil Dolls and Saint Patty's Night At The Crown (poems) by Blaze McRob
    Perrollo’s Ladder by John Palisano
    Las Maquinas by William Ritchey (3rd place in Tales From the Lake 2013)
    Alternative Muses by J Daniel Stone (2nd place in Tales From the Lake 2013)
    Lady of Lost Lake by Bev Vincent
    Lover, Come Back to Me by Tim Waggoner

Foreword by Rocky Wood
    Artwork by Ben Baldwin
    Edited by Joe Mynhardt
    Published by Crystal Lake Publishing - www.crystallakepub.com