Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

CD Round Robin story

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
My installment of the round robin story that is being serialized in the Cemetery Dance Weekly newsletter appeared today. The story is as-yet untitled and I have no idea whatsoever where it is going.

Other contributors include:

Ray Garton
Tom Piccirilli
Brian Keene
Gary A. Braunbeck
Tim Lebbon
Al Sarrantonio
Thomas F. Monteleone
Joe Hill
John Skipp
Dominick Cancilla

With more to follow. By a strange happenstance, my installment, which fits between Sarrantonio and Monteleone, got skipped when they sent it out...but apparently no one noticed! I guess everyone's waiting for the entire story to be out before they read it.

Author: DTUK

Is this a type of story, Bev, where contributors each write something as to its continuation?

Author: Bev Vincent

Exactly right. We each wrote something on the order of 600-1000 words. Ray Garton kicked things off and we each went on from there. I think CD plans to issue the entire story as a chapbook when it's done. I pity the poor writer who has to tie this puppy up at the end!

Interesting idea. How did you find the idea of continuing your own segment from another writer's? Easy, hard? is there a central theme that was followed or do you all just go in whatever direction your interest lies?

Well, we're all published horror writers, so we had that commonality and Gary's set-up really set the tone. It really didn't take me very long to pick up the thread of the story--I was glad to be early in the list of contributors rather than later because I had less material to remain consistent with. There's always the temptation to mess with whoever comes after by throwing in some real zinger from left field, but I resisted! And I really had no idea of how even I wanted the story to go after I wrote my part so I didn't feel any ownership toward the story and look forward to seeing how it ultimately all comes out.

Yes, I can understand the temptation to really throw something into the field as it were to get the next writer thinking. I think it's more of a collective interest in seeing how the story develops, rather than a binary interest on the part of the writer.

With this kind of story, does someone decide who starts and who finishes the story to keep it within a workable set of goalposts? This concept of writing looks very much fun :)

I was thinking more of something like a land mine that would have the next person thinking: how the hell am I going to get around that?

Brian Freeman solicited the authors and he knows the order that everyone gets to go and who will wrap it up. I'm not sure if he'll be telling the later on authors how close they are to the end, though. I expect he will, though, so writers can start wrapping up threads rather than unraveling new ones.

Author: CRinVA

I have been cutting and pasting to a word file since CD starting putting these out. I did read the first three but then stopped and decided to read it all at once when it was complete. Thus, I am guilty of not knowing that your submission, chapter 6.5 :), was missed! ~0

I think I guessed you as the author of an early chapter, back when CD was making a contest of it!

Do you know how many authors are involved in this project?

Originally posted by CRinVA
I think I guessed you as the author of an early chapter, back when CD was making a contest of it!

Do you know how many authors are involved in this project?

It's possible you might have been chronologically correct if you guessed the week I was supposed to appear, but didn't.

Brian made reference to “a couple of dozen” but I'm not sure how close that is to reality. It could end up being a longish piece.

Bob, would you mind as you mentioned saving these bits of story that when they are complete, emailing them to me, would be fun to read them :)

Author: CRinVA

yep - no problemo matey! ;)

Author: Old Darth

Congrats Bev. I just got on the mailing list and have only gotten the last 2 installments.

Bob - I would like to be on that email list too if you don't mind.

Thanks Bob :)

Cemetery Dance magazine editor Robert Morrish is hard at work on a conclusion for the Cemetery Dance Weekly Round Robin story--it's a challenge to tie these types of projects together and we expect his part of the story very soon. Keep watching Weekly for it!

Note: The final part was published in the June 16th issue of the newsletter.

Comments

• Here's what John Skipp wrote about the process on his weblog

I spent a good chunk of today writing my contribution to a horror "round robin". It’s a REALLY FUCKED-UP STORY that was started by Ray Garton, then passed on to a bunch of other fine writers, most of whom I am only now discovering: Tom Piccirilli, Brian Keene, Gary A. Braunbeck, Tim Lebbon, Al Sarrantonio, Bev Vincent, Tom Monteleone, and the amazing Joe Hill, who left me with the God-damndest pick-up point I could possibly have asked for.

THANKS A LOT, YOU SON OF A BITCH!

Needless to say, I am enjoying this immensely, and hope you crazy bastards have a good time with it, too!

{That one gave the board censor something to do!}
  • Did it actaully replace b.i.t.c.h with bitch??
  • Brautigan wrote: Did it actaully replace b.i.t.c.h with bitch??
    Yep...ha..ha. (sorry, doesn't take much to amuse me)

Back to the topic at hand, this is cool Bev, I hope I can get my hands on it when it's done.
  • You've got to admire Mr John Skipp there, for not being shy with his opinions...lol

The censor probably blew a fuse and the censor needed upgrading, lol
  • Stay tuned for some exciting news about the Round Robin story in the near future. I haven't teased y'all in a while!
  • True and very glad to see you back to your old tricks! ;D
  • The Round Robin forum of storytelling is highly innovative - will look forward to updates :)
  • The Cemetery Dance Signature Series will kick off with a collaborative effort called LOOKING GLASS -- the first print publication of the Round Robin story that was previously only available to CD Weekly newsletter subscribers. This book features writing from Ray Garton, Tom Piccirilli, Brian Keene, Gary A. Braunbeck, Tim Lebbon, Al Sarrantonio, Bev Vincent, Thomas F. Monteleone, Joe Hill, John Skipp, Dominick Cancilla, Kealan Patrick Burke, and Robert Morrish, all of whom will be signing the book, too! We're now working with an artist to create an amazing collectible based around this surreal tale of mystery and horror!

This unique series of art-oriented, high-end collectible books will be designed for the collector, with the lowest print runs of ANY book we publish. These books will NOT to be sold via wholesale distributors or to libraries. In fact, we won't even be printing review copies of these titles since their print runs will be so limited!

The books in the Cemetery Dance Signature Series will be designed around ORIGINAL stories by horror's best and brightest authors. These novelettes will be between 10,000 and 20,000 words in length, and we say the books will "designed around" the stories because the books in this series will feature more interior artwork, spot artwork, and other illustrations than anything else we publish!

In addition to all the interior artwork, each title in the Signature Series will have illustrated endpapers and a unique "art based" signature sheet. Each book will be bound in high quality cloth with unique stamping designed by the artist. These books will have a smaller, more compact trim size, too -- for this series we'll be working with your favorite Cemetery Dance artists to create unique works of art!

• This is awesome news, Bev - how great is it to help kick off what should be a fabulous series by Cemetery Dance? I plan on ordering this soon.

Congratulations!

Blu
  • The new Signature Series of novelettes coming from Cemetery Dance are selling quickly. LOOKING GLASS, the first book in the series -- a round robin story with contributions from Ray Garton, Tom Piccirilli, Brian Keene, Gary A. Braunbeck, Tim Lebbon, Al Sarrantonio, Bev Vincent, Thomas F. Monteleone, Joe Hill, John Skipp, Dominick Cancilla, Kealan Patrick Burke, and Robert Morrish -- has already sold out.
  • Here's CD's Looking Glass page with samples of two illustrations from this signature series book.
  • And here's Alex McVey's cover art:

• Likes the cover :)
  • I signed the signature pages for this over the weekend. Something like 800 of them. I didn't count; that's what I was told. Now they're on to the next person in line.
  • The final cover:

• I received my contributor copies yesterday -- what a handsome volume this is! Each author's section is prefaced by an illustrated page, and the drawings rock!
  • Outselling King!

DARK DELICACIES' BESTSELLERS LIST: HARDBACK FICTION

1. Looking Glass - Various (Cemetery Dance)

2. Wicked Nursery Rhymes - Gris Grimly (Baby Tattoo)

3. 30 Days of Night: Return to Barrow - Steve Niles (IDW)

4. Dark Delicacies - Howison/Gelb (Carroll & Graf)

5. Strangers on the Heights - Manly Wade Wellman (Night Shade)

6. Cell - Stephen King (Scribner)

7. Magic for Beginners - Kelly Link (Small Beer Press)

8. Windows - Ray Garton (Cemetery Dance)

9. As Timeless As Infinity - Tony Albarella (Gauntlet)

10. A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore (William Morrow)