Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Shivers II: Something in Store

edited June 2004 in Short Stories
Cemetery Dance Publications is proud to announce SHIVERS II edited by Richard Chizmar, the sequel to last year's award nominated and bestselling anthology! This book just arrived in our warehouse and we'll have copies at the Horrorfind Convention! SHIVERS II features almost two dozen short stories from today's hottest writers, including Bentley Little, Douglas Clegg, Edward Lee, Ray Garton, F. Paul Wilson, Rick Hautala, Graham Masterton, Tom Piccirilli, Thomas Tessier, and many others! Find out more about this awesome new title on the Breaking News page: http://www.cemeterydance.com/html/news.shtml

I'm thrilled to be part of this anthology with one of my all-time favorite stories: Something in Store -- and amongst such fine company. Check it out! I loved every story in Shivers I and can't wait to get my copies of II.

Author: CrinVA

Speaking of Piccirilli - I just found out he is one fo the guest speakers at Redrum in the Rockies, the 2003 SKEMERCon being held at The Stanley in October. Glad I'm going now!

Author: Bev Vincent

Tom's a great guy. He's the editor of Devil's Wine, the book of poetry CD is publishing later this year with a batch of old King poems in it. He won a couple of Stokers this past June. His writing -- even his fiction -- is poetic and lyrical. Tell him I said “hi” when you see him. Won't get you much, but try it out anyway! ;)

Author: CRinVA

Will do! I am sure it's worth an autograph! I was thinking of getting and reading The Night Class or A Choir of Ill Children before heading to Colorado. I wish Devil's Wine came out before the Con but I don't think it will, even though Amazon.con says October '03.

I am anxious to read the early King poetry, as I will never get my hands on the old originals! Last time I was in Bangor I did get to read some fo the “unpublished” stuff mentioned in Rocky Wood's “The Complete Guide to Stgephen King” CD. I could have spent days in there just reading and trying to figure out how to get “permission” to see the stuff labeled “you must have Mr. King's permission to view the contents of this box.”

Author: BrianFreeman

My story “Marking the Passage of Time” appears in SHIVERS II -- so I will be sharing a TOC with that Bev Vincent fellow at least twice this year. :)

You can read more about the anthology (and check out the awesome cover artwork) on the Cemetery Dance breaking news page: http://www.cemeterydance.com/html/news.shtml

Or at Shocklines.com:
http://www.store.yahoo.com/shocklines/shiiedbyrich.html

Best,
Brian

Author: CRinVA

Brian, I just ordered Shivers II - noticed that you had a contribution as well as Bev. Wasn't Garrett Peck in therre - Isn't he a SKEMER too? I guess I need to get these autographed by my internet pals!

Yes, Garrett is a SKEMER, too, and also a book reviewer for Hellnotes and Cemetery Dance. Brian, as you may know, works at CD and I'm a contributing editor, so it's another tie-in.

Author: Jreitan47

Bev, I of course bought SHIVERS 2 at HorrorFind this past weekend and attended the mass signing. It was too bad that you were not there to take part in the fun, but I'm sure I can get you to sign my copy some day. I haven't had time to read your story (or Brian's) but I hope to sit down and read the whole book soon.

Yes, Tom Piccirilli is indeed our guest at this year's SKEMERs con, and I'm happy to say that I'm the one who asked him to attend! Pic will be reading King's poem's from THE DEVIL'S WINE as well as telling us how he got to work with King. He should also have some copies for sale. Bob, do yourself a favor and read CHOIR OF ILL CHILDREN before RITR. It is one of THE BEST books I have read in a long time.

Bob and Bev -- Garrett Peck happened to be my roomy for HorrorFind Weekend although he is no longer a SKEMER and hasn't been one for a few years now. He got too busy with his writing, reviewing and his past work with HellNotes to keep up with the newsletters. Look out for his next anthology TEETH AND CLAW 2 coming from Lone Wolf Publications shortly!

Jonathan:

Rich tried to talk me into going to Horrofind, but I was all conned out this year. I still haven't seen Shivers II!

Make sure Tom tells the real story of how he got those poems for Devil's Wine! ;)

Comments

• Author: CRinVA

Jonathan,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to make more reading time now! See ya in Colorado!

Hey Bev!

SHIVERS II arrived just in time for the Horrorfind Weekend -- but you should see the contributor copies sooner than later! I think you'll be pleased with how it turned out!

Best,
    Brian

Author: Brautigan

Received SHIVERS II in the mail this weekend and read Brian and Bev's contributions. They were both great and had me longing for more. Congrats on cool stories in a very nice collection.

Can't wait for Borderlands 5 now!

PS - Bev, guess you couldn't give Kim a first name like Robert or Ryan? Always looking for a DT connection, even with non-King stories!! :p :p

Thanks! I have a cousin named Kim. His brother is Kerrie. I wanted an androgynous name. Rich told me he was going to suggest that I change the name, then changed his mind. I could have called him Roland!

Author: Brautigan

Originally posted by Bev Vincent
    I could have called him Roland!

HA HA!! :p

I think you said somewhere before that once The Road to the Dark Tower was available you would setup a PO Box or something for fans to get your signature. Can I send Shivers II along too? It was cool to open it up and see Brian, Kelly and Rich's signatures already in it!

Sure -- I don't have it set up yet, but when I do I'll announce it here. Just be sure to send a return mailer with postage. Like Joe R. Lansdale says on his web site -- anything anyone sends to me without return postage I'll consider a gift!

Hey Bev!

I just wanted to let you know you're mentioned in this review of SHIVERS II:

http://horror.about.com/cs/bookreviews/fr/092003.htm

Best,
    Brian

Brian: Thanks for posting that link -- don't know if I would have found it otherwise.

Here's the quote from the review:

The collection is also balanced with contributions that have an element of fantasy. “Something in Store”, by Bev Vincent, is an enchanting tale that takes place in a magical bookstore - one that gives its owner anything he desires.

• Something in Store received Honorable Mention in the just-released Year's Best Fantasy and Horror XVII edited by Datlow, Link and Grant.
  • Congratulations Bev! That was a killer story so you certainly deserve it.
  • It's also in the running for a Gaylactic Spectrum Award. I had an e-mail request for an electronic copy of the story for the judges last week.
  • So I read the post as Galactic Spectrum Awards and I thinks this must be some SciFi thing! My Bad! as my kids would say when goofing up! :-[
  • CRinVA wrote: So I read the post as Galactic Spectrum Awards and I thinks this must be some SciFi thing!  My Bad! as my kids would say when goofing up!  :-[

You wouldn't be far wrong:

The Gaylactic Spectrum Awards were created in 1998 by the Gaylactic Network to honor works in science fiction, fantasy and horror which include positive explorations of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered characters, themes, or issues.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

You wouldn't be far wrong:

The Gaylactic Spectrum Awards were created in 1998 by the Gaylactic Network to honor works in science fiction, fantasy and horror which include positive explorations of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered characters, themes, or issues.

Wow, that's really interesting having it down to specific categories like sci-fi, fantasy & horror.

Congrats on all the great pub, Bev!