Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Included documents

The coolest part of The Stephen King Illustrated Companion, in my opinion, is the included material. King gave the publisher permission to reprint a number of documents from his archives at University of Maine. I haven't yet seen exactly how these reproductions will look in the finished book, but a number of them are several pages long and will probably be booklets of some sort.

In the weeks leading up to publication, I'll tease you with some of these items.

Comments

• First draft typescript pages with handwritten notes, including (but not limited to) pages from The Gunslinger, The Stand, Pet Sematary and The Dead Zone
    • Several handwritten first draft manuscript pages from Cujo
    • A reproduction of a handwritten ledger containing a section of an unpublished work, a familiar scene from Needful Things and a scene from another (1990s) novel that is completely different from the published version
    • A reproduction of the January 29, 1966 issue of the Lisbon Drum containing the ultra-rare juvenile short story “43rd Dream” and a three-panel cartoon drawn by King.
  • Bev, you keep adding things and I keep getting more and more excited about this!

John
  • That's my intention!! Since B&N isn't doing any publicity, I figure the onus is on me to stir up some!
    • A reproduction of several pages from Comics Review featuring part of "I Was a Teen-age Grave Robber," King's first story publication. The story was serialized over several issues of the fanzine in 1965.
    • 1) Final galley page from The Stand containing the Author's Note, with King's handwritten changes and additions. 2) Manuscript pages for the scene where Larry Underwood and Rita escape from New York via the Lincoln Tunnel. King has identified this as his favorite scene in the book.
    • A look inside The Shining. The title page, dated May 13, 1975, still bears King's original title, The Shine, along with a handwritten note to Bill Thompson. Three pages from the original manuscript show how King changed his mind about Danny's encounter with the fire hose outside room 217 in Chapter 19. The first draft of "Inside 217" --the famous bathtub scene--containing King's hand-written revisions and annotations. In this draft, Danny's mother is named...(you'll have to check out the book to find the answer to that question!)
  • Awesome stuff indeed! Your sales job worked! Just pulled the trigger on this.
  • I have to add a plug to this.

These are some seriously awesome reproductions. You can see the wrinkles in the originals, the hand written stuff looks like it is the real thing not a reproduction. It really is amazing. Too lazy to go look up which one this is, but there is a set of hand written pages in it that are reproduced on ruled paper with the holes and everything. Like I said just amazing.

You will have to excuse the adverbs there. :P
  • I agree. Some of the reproduced autographs look like originals. They did an amazing job in recreating these documents.
  • Wow. Just wow! Best deal for the money ever! The extras are beyond amazing and of extreme quality too. Fantastic.

Add your excellent, eductional, and entertaining writing to the mix and this one is a real winner.

Congrats!

Feel like a kid finding buried treasure. 8-)
  • Thanks! Someone else made the same comment to me yesterday -- like a kid enjoying his first pop-up book. I am very gratified that the response to the book has been unanimously positive so far. Have yet to hear a discouraging word!