Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Week 5

Author: Bev Vincent

I had some inspiration this weekend and interlaced some more material about heroic quests in the chapter looking at the epic nature of Roland's quest. Other than that I did some more proofing, tweaked some phrases here and there, but I can't get beyond the feeling of done-ness. I know I'll have to do some more proofreading next week, but I'm letting the manuscript lie fallow for the next several days. After I get back from NECON, I'll go through it once more, with gusto, hopefully in one or two sittings, and then make my last changes.

I expect that by the 28th of July at the latest it will be on its way to New York, where it will cease to be completely my book any more.

I want to try to watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and perphaps Westworld before I turn it in.

Author: Opie-Mon

Now, I don't know anything about writing, aving no talent myself, but when you finish a book and finally send the last edit to your publisher, that's gotta be a strange feeling.

I imagine it to be like sending your kid off to college, you've done all you can and now it's up to them, I know it's a sucky comparison, LOL.

Still, congratulations, and have fun at the NECON. :)

Mon

The college analogy is probably a good one because it may come back and move in for a while! There will be editorial changes to take care of over the next few months until the publisher is happy with everything.

I'm looking forward to NECON. A lot of people going who I'm looking forward to meeting for the first time.

Author: Drumbo

Hi Bev,

I hope the hurricane isn't giving you too much trouble. I rode out my share in New Orleans, so when I sit up here in New Hampshire watching them pound the Gulf Coast I know what you are going through.

Your post sort of jogged my memory of something I've meant to ask you for a very long time - maybe even before I knew you, I wished I could ask SK, lol. Have you read Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces and do you have any idea whether King has? It seems a certainty, but I've never seen he, nor you discuss it that I can recall.

I don't know why I'm interested, other than 30 years or so ago - the book had a rather profound effect on me when I was trying to make noises like a would-be novelist, lol. I think it was the first time I grasped certain concepts, or at least grappled with them. It just seems a classic that I take for granted that writers have been exposed to, but if I don't ask, I'll continue to wonder and always at times when I'm nowhere near a computer, lol.

Now you'll tell me, oh yes Jimmy, there's a whole chapter in On Writing dedicated to it or something (and I just reread that one very recently so I'll feel really dumb . . . lol) I feel sort'a dumb asking anyway, King simply must have mentioned it in one of his forwards or afterwards or Dear Constant Reader deals, and I've forgotten. But it's one of those nagging little obsessions of mine and I admit, even though I read 10 times the books I used to as a lad, I'm convinced that either 1. I don't retain like I used to or 2. They don't write'em like they used to. Probably both (except for you of course, you are better than ever). ;)

Anyhow, I'd like to know for certain about Campbell's Hero Journey book and what effect if any it's had - and figured I'd ask even though that book is getting a bit dated by now I imagine. The worst case here besides looking foolish is that it will bump my post count and this Private First Class rank is getting old.

Thanks.

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

Haven't you read King's book: I owe my writing career to Joseph Campbell (Scribner, 1998) ? ;)

I can't say with absolute certitude that King has read “Hero” but I have little doubt that he has. Most writers know of Campbell and his thoughts on fiction. There's a derivative work called “The Writer's Journey” which distills a lot of Campbell into archetypes, echoing Campbell's “The Hero's Journey” TWJ is by Vogel, who I heard lecture at a Houston Writers' Con several years ago.

One thing I've found in my work on THE ROAD TO THE DARK TOWER is that the Dark Tower series does some interesting things to the archetypes in epic quest fiction...but you'll have to read the book to find out what I mean!

Author: Drumbo

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Haven't you read King's book: I owe my writing career to Joseph Campbell (Scribner, 1998) ? ;)

ROTFLMAO!!! Bev you are gonna be great on the talk show circuit!!! Too bad Johnny Carson is no longer around to do a spit-take for that one!!! Priceless! (I'm wiping Mountain Dew from my monitor as I type). ~0

There's a derivative work called “The Writer's Journey” which distills a lot of Campbell into archetypes, echoing Campbell's “The Hero's Journey” TWJ is by Vogel, who I heard lecture at a Houston Writers' Con several years ago.

Yet another Bev book for my must read list, lol.

One thing I've found in my work on THE ROAD TO THE DARK TOWER is that the Dark Tower series does some interesting things to the archetypes in epic quest fiction...but you'll have to read the book to find out what I mean!

You know we're ALL gonna be there for that Bevster! . . . Drats that it seems so far away right now!!! :@

It seems a long way away to me, too. I'm planning to turn my manuscript in a week from today. Hallelujah!

Author: Starr_R

Only a week to go? I imagine you're excited and nervous, and several other emotions I can't imagine. I know we're all looking forward to reading your book. Congrats on your “journey”!

Thanks -- I'm down to three or four days, now, and I expect to be putting in long hours over the weekend. The final crunch! ~0