Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Fingernail Test

edited November 2009 in Short Stories
Sometimes it pays to Google yourself! I've been checking up on the contest to see when the winner would be announced but forgot to do so today. And what do I find but the following? This is the second time I've won the Apex contest!

After the Apex Halloween Story Contest submissions were whittled down to the top fifteen entries, I read them. All of them were good stories but, as all authors know, ‘good’ doesn’t cut it with anthologies. The story must both suit the theme and play well with the other stories already chosen for the anthology. It is my pleasure to announce the two winners of the Apex Halloween Story Contest.

The top prize goes to Bev Vincent for his excellent story, “The Fingernail Test.” Bev’s story will be published in the Apex anthology, Close Encounters of the Urban Kind at $0.08/word.

The runner up prize goes to Jonathan McKinney for his story, “Shiny Eyes.” Jonathon’s story will be published in the Apex anthology, Close Encounters of the Urban Kind at $0.05/word.

There are three honorable mentions: “Don’t Follow Any Ugly Dogs” by Daniel Johnson, “Finger Prick” by Val Muller and “Pod N” by Michael Britton.

Thank you to everyone who submitted a story to the Apex Halloween Story Contest. We appreciated each and every one.

Comments

• Congrats, Congrats, Congrats....

Very cool Bev! :)

• Close Encounters of the Urban Kind is edited by Jennifer Brozek. Other writers whose stories appear in the anthology include Alma Alexander, Nathan Crowder, Carole Johnstone, Pete Kempshall, Jennifer Pelland, Erik Scott de Bie, Bev Vincent, and Ivan Ewert.

The book is scheduled for release on April 4, 2010.

Apex is currently taking pre-orders at a special discounted price.
  • If you have ever wanted to be frightened in a new way by old stories of urban legends or alien encounters, this is the anthology for you. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE URBAN KIND is a science fiction horror anthology by Apex Publications assistant editor, Jennifer Brozek. Especially at today's one day sale (Oct 18) of 40% off. Drop by the Apex Publications Store and get yours now.

Any customer who buys any book between Oct 15th and Oct 30th will have their name put in for a raffle of awesome prizes: A critique Apex Magazine Fiction Editor, Cat Valente, or $25 gift card for Amazon.com, or an Apex Minion pack, or a $10 gift certificate to the Apex Store.