Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Zombies on a Plane

edited December 2009 in Short Stories
My short story "Zombies on a Plane" was just accepted for the charity anthology Dead Set to be published in 2010 by 23 House Publishing.

Lou_Sytsma

Comments

• [media]

Release date for the anthology is April 2010, and you can be one of the first humans on the planet to own Dead Set

Pre-order by clicking the link below. You'll save 10% off the cover price, and in this initial offering, shipping is free.

Pay only $16, and your Dead Set will ship the day the book hits the warehouse.

http://www.23house.com/zombie/
    Lou_Sytsma
  • TOC:

“Resurgam” by Lisa Mannetti

“Jailbreak” by Steven W. Booth and Harry Shannon

“Recess” by Rob Fox... See More

“Biting the Hand that Feeds You” by Calie Voorhis

“Judgment” by Stephanie Kincaid

“Hatfield the Usurper” by Matt Louis

“Ruminations from Tri-Omega House” by David Dunwoody

“Zombies on a Plane” by Bev Vincent

“Category Five” by Richard Jeter

“Survivors” by Joe McKinney

“Pierre and Remy Hatch a Plan” by Michelle McCrary

“Recovery” by Boyd Harris

“In the Middle of Poplar Street” by Nate Southard

“Seminar Z” by J.L. Comeau

“Only Nibble” by Bob Nailor

“Inside Where It’s Warm” by Lee Thomas

“Survivor Talk” by Mitchel Whitington

“The Zombie Whisperer” by Steven Wedel

“Good Neighbor Sam” by Mark Onspaugh

“That Which Survives” by Morgan Ashe
    Lou_Sytsma
  • Dead Set review at Dollar Bin Horror

There's even a story called Zombies on a Plane (I have to admit, as soon as I saw the title, it was the first story I read, and loved).
    Lou_Sytsma
  • Honorable mention in Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year:

Vincent, Bev “Zombies on a Plane,” Dead Set
    Lou_Sytsma
  • New review of Dead Set. The reviewer thought my story could use a few more zombies on the plane!

There are few foibles in this collection and McKinney and McCrary have done an excellent job of stitching this piece togehter. There was only one grammatical error in the novel, amongst tens of thousands of lines of text and short stories progress fluidly over the span of a fantasy world going awry. Many experts of this genre are here and any weak spots are strengthened by excellent writing and thrilling horror writing. Fans of the zombie genre, in literature, will not be disappointed by this piece, but enthralled by the many creative tales and the various perspectives on the undead. There is certainly a lot of rotting, and ravenous genius for storytelling, in these three hundred pages.

Released for over a year now, this novel has tempered just enough to give readers what they want - stories of darkness, harrowing situations and human beings simply trying to survive. Suitable for ages fourteen and up, Dead Set: A Zombie Anthology will excite you as much as your imagination will allow. Pick this one up through 23 House and be on the look-out for other novels from the authors mentioned here (listed below). The darker parts of yourself will thank you.

Overall: 8 out of 10 (excellent writing, cohesive, exciting and diverse).
    Lou_Sytsma
  • From co-editor Joe McKinney:

The 15th Annual Independent Publisher Book Awards were just announced, and I’m happy to say that Dead Set, the zombie anthology I co-edited, along with Michelle McCrary, for 23 House brought home a bronze medal in the Horror Category. The IPPY Awards pull together the best of the best from 69 publishing categories and I’m honored to have my book included among so many wonderful works.
    Lou_Sytsma
  • I was prepared to hate Zombies on a Plane, mostly because I’m absolutely sick of the shambling undead genre (thanks, Walking Dead). To author Bev Vincent’s credit, he crafts a thrilling tale that made me remember just how much I used to enjoy zombie stories when the genre (and the corpses) were still somewhat fresh. -- Nick Nafpliotis, Adventures in Poor Taste
    Lou_Sytsma
  • ‘Zombies on a Plane’ by Bev Vincent does pretty much what it says on the tin, as a group of survivors try to escape the zombie apocalypse that has engulfed the civilised world by taking to the skies in a plane. This is a tense, cinematic tale, one that brings to mind the remake of Dawn of the Dead, but ends with a reminder that we always carry the seeds of our own destruction with us, that fate is a hard and uncaring taskmaster who’ll catch us on the way out if he misses us on the way in.  (Black Static review)
    Lou_Sytsma
  • My Bev Vincent story today was "Zombies on a Plane."  Of all of Bev's stories that I have been able to read (and that number is very small compared to the body of work he has put out) this is the best as far as just smooth, flowing story telling.  Great use of language put in the right order.

Some could argue we are in a zombie apocalypse right this minute, humans being the real zombies.  The scary monster we are trying to avoid. 

With the "traditional" zombie, it's pretty obvious who is the zombie.  In this case, we don't know who is walking around infecting.  Passing on the plague.  This zombie doesn't have a clear cut face or demeanor (unless of course they are just hacking all over and looking really flushed and weak.)

The story is an extreme example of a plague taking down the world, but it still feeds into the scare factor of what we are facing today.  I think there is a fine line of our neighbors keeping their civility or going AWOL batshit crazy. And every day, people are getting more dangerous and desperate.

And this guy on the plane?  Like he said, I hope they know what to do.
    Lou_Sytsma
  • edited April 2020
    I don’t write many zombie stories but when I do, the creatures are generally offscreen or in the background. 
    Lou_Sytsma
  • .....leaving the imagination to pull it's weight.....numerous times, that's more graphic than any make-up or CGI.....
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....leaving the imagination to pull it's weight.....numerous times, that's more graphic than any make-up or CGI.....
    Exactly. Sometimes the imagination is far scarier, filling in all the nooks and crannies.
  • I found out today that the Italian translation of "Zombies on a Plane" ("Zombi su un aereo") will be in an anthology for high school students.
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited December 2022
    I found out today that the Italian translation of "Zombies on a Plane" ("Zombi su un aereo") will be in an anthology for high school students.
    And I found out, I am going to die having done nothing interesting. 🫤

You do have the magic touch and the skills and brains to back that up. I just live vicariously through you successful people. Congrats!

I like turtles. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurben
  • Zombies on a plane is an actual thing. I see at least one every time i fly somewhere. They stop just short of eating brains but the expression in their face......
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Kurben said:
    Zombies on a plane is an actual thing. I see at least one every time i fly somewhere. They stop just short of eating brains but the expression in their face......
    ....spot on Kurb, hella good observation!!!!.....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir