Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

When the Night Comes Down

edited January 2010 in Short Stories
WHEN THE NIGHT COMES DOWN

Dark Arts Books is proud to announce we will release our sixth title, WHEN THE NIGHT COMES DOWN, which will debut at the World Horror Convention being held in Brighton, UK, March 25-28 2010. The book features tales of terror and suspense from four unique and gifted writers: Joseph D’Lacey, Nate Kenyon, Bev Vincent and Robert E. Weinberg.

More details about cover, contents and the authors to come shortly, as well as pre-ordering information. Check this space for the latest updates!

Comments

• [table][tr][td][/td][td]Pre-order the new horror/dark fantasy anthology When the Night Comes Down from Dark Arts Books today!

Featuring 16 short stories by Joseph D’Lacey, Bev Vincent, Robert E. Weinberg and Nate Kenyon, this amazing collection will debut at the 2010 World Horror Convention in Brighton, England at the end of March.

The book is at press now, and will be shipping in about three weeks.  Order a copy today and you’ll be one of the first to receive the dark magic of When The Night Comes Down.

Dark Arts Books’ sixth title will debut at the World Horror Convention in Brighton, England during the last week of March, 2010!

TRAPPED WITHIN THE TWILIGHT…

Call it what you like:  dusk, twilight, sunset. It’s that magical moment between daylight and darkness when anything is possible — the evening ahead promises untold enchantment…

or nameless dread.

Within are 16 tales of the oncoming blackness, including more than the usual cast of characters.

There are shapeshifters and gravediggers, but also supernatural private detectives and — perhaps most terrifying of all — beautiful creatures that prey on… horror writers.   Murder, death — and things worse than death — are all waiting for you When The Night Comes Down.

Our newest title features more of the great stories that are a hallmark of Dark Arts Books’ selections. 

[/td][/tr][/table]

Joseph D’Lacey, in stories like “The Unwrapping of Alastair Perry,” writes in the vein of the Clive Barker of the 1980s.

Bev Vincent, already renowned for his non-fiction, shows off some impressive range in his fiction — from hard-edged horror (”Silvery Moon”) to Bradbury-esque whimsical (”Something in Store”) to knowing humor (”Knock ‘em Dead”).

Legend Robert E. Weinberg delivers perhaps the all-time greatest behind-the-scenes send-up of genre convention weekends with “Elevator Girls.” And rising young gun Nate Kenyon, in gritty stories like “Gravedigger” and “The Buzz of A Thousand Wings,” showcases why he has earned all those raves.

Dark Arts Books is really proud of this collection and think you will enjoy all the great stories within!
  • Rhonda Wilson's review:

Sixth in the Dark Arts Books anthology series, When the Night Comes Down allows readers to take a peek into the writing styles of four talented authors: Joseph D'Lacey; Bev Vincent; Robert E. Weinberg; and Nate Kenyon. Within the collected stories, any horror reader should find at least one they truly enjoy, and many will find several. I had at least one favorite by each of the included authors. Joseph D'Lacey's "The Unwrapping of Alastair Perry" details a time in Alastair's life during which he peels off the layers of his skin in order to morph into other lifeforms and experience things that these other beings (whether a person of the opposite sex, reptilian creature, etc...) would experience. In "Knock 'Em Dead", Bev Vincent takes readers into the life of an author that feels his booksignings must be cursed, as, at each one, someone ends up dying. Another great Vincent story in this collection is "Something In Store", where a bookstore manages to "come to life" as it expands due to the owners' desires. Robert E. Weinberg's "Elevator Girls" makes convention attendees think twice about entering an elevator with an attractive looking girl, as his "elevator girls" have a bit more going for them beyond good looks and seductive appeal. Nate Kenyon puts a new twist on the tiresome zombie stories in "Gravedigger". A couple of young guys have found that dead bodies are a good way to smuggle drugs; however, they hadn't expected that the drugs might have some ill-wanted effects on the corpses they had used. These are just a handful of the great stories that I enjoyed in When the Night Comes Down,and based on what kinds of subgenres readers enjoy, many will have differing favorites. This collection, along with all of the Dark Arts Books anthologies, is a great way for readers to discover new voices in the horror industry. Many anthologies only allow readers to get a glimpse of an author, with only one story by each author, or are collected works of a particular author. Unlike these anthologies, each author gets his own section to showcase several offerings. What John Everson and Bill Breedlove have created with this publishing company is a much different approach, giving each author an opportunity to shine as they introduce readers to their various writing styles through the inclusion of multiple stories. I would recommend this collection as well as any of the other books in Dark Arts' line of books to all horror fans and feel they would make a great addition to all libraries.
  • Famous Monsters of Filmland review:

When The Night Comes Down is Dark Arts Books sixth offering. They do their anthologies a little differently by including only four authors and allowing each author multiple tales that aren’t tied down to one general theme. I really like this idea – it gives you a chance to read a broad range of each author’s fiction. I will most definitely be diving into Dark Arts’ back catalog for some more fantastic short fiction.

This is an exceptional anthology that anyone who loves short horror fiction will enjoy. The talents are varied as are the selection of stories.

As with all anthologies I read there are always a few stories that stand out to me and this is no exception. My favorites are “The Quiet Ones” by Joseph D’Lacey, “Purgatory Noir” by Bev Vincent, “Elevator Girls” by Robert E. Weinberg and “Breeding The Demons” and “Gravedigger” by Nate Kenyon.

This is a good time to be a fan of short horror fiction, anthologies seem to be making a bit of a revival as quite of few are sitting in my to be read pile. Dark Arts Books newest is a wonderful gathering of talent and material that will keep you turning the pages well into the wee hours of the night.

Do yourself a favor and head on over to their website and check out what they have to offer, you will not be disappointed.
  • Dark Discoveries review:

Bev Vincent, renowned for his non-fiction guides to the works of Stephen King, tells four tales with a straightforward style that pulls readers immediately into his world. In two of his new stories, “Silvery Moon” and “Knock’em Dead,” he takes the clichéd topics of werewolves and struggling writers, respectively, and adds a twist here and turn there that makes them new no matter how many similar stories you’ve read. “Something In Store” was my favorite of the four because it is everything I like in a short story wrapped into one: easy to read, whimsical, fantastical, dark, erotic, and just the perfect amount of vague. Vincent definitely knows how to keep you on edge, excited, eager, and wanting more.
  • Editor of the 'Night': A chat with Bill Breedlove

With Bev, I had met him a few times and read most of his nonfiction and his blog and entries to "Storytellers Unplugged" and such, so I knew he was also very smart and a talented writer--and, by reading some of his stories in various magazines and anthos, not just of non-fiction. Since Bev is--right now, at least--known primarily for his excellent nonfiction work, I am really excited to see the reaction to his fiction, because I think he is a supremely talented short story writer.

I think a lot of people who have read only Bev's nonfiction will be very surprised by his story "Knock 'Em Dead" which is essentially a very dark comedy.
  • New review at Shroud magazine:

Featuring some of the best tales to date by four outstanding writers, Dark Arts proves that when it comes to collections, contributor quality ranks far higher than quantity. Among the standouts are:

By Bev Vincent, “Something in Store” and “Purgatory Noir”; the former about a charmed bookstore that offers its new owner pleasures – and perhaps terrors – beyond imagining, the latter about a private detective on a new case that's going to be Hell...literally.

• Hellnotes review

With a similar healthy dose of wry perspective, Bev Vincent looks at the world of writing. In “Knock ‘Em Dead,” he examines extreme techniques involved in the marketing of a novel. He pokes fun at the excesses of success, and how far people will go to maintain it. When random attendees of an author’s readings die of natural causes, a mystique is created. The writer’s popularity subsequently skyrockets. As the publicity machine cranks up, commercial considerations are inevitable: Including survivor t-shirts for his devoted followers; they all want to show they lived through a reading/signing. When the quantity of deceased decreases, creativity is required to address his plummeting prominence. Vincent delivers a jolly good time with the macabre mayhem.

The savvy writers featured in When the Night Comes Down are skillful tellers of tales. Arch, wise and warped, this collection has much to offer: A savory supernatural sampling of choice works.
  • Intriguing premise. Dying to read it. ;)
  • Another nice review

After a decent werewolf story, Bev Vincent brings the goods with 'Knock 'Em Dead' (an eerie look at an author's book signings) and 'Something in Store' (my fave of his lot, dealing with a supernatural bookstore). I read so much of Vincent's non-fiction that I forgot how good his fiction is. This is a fine primer if you haven't had the pleasure.
  • Dark Scribe review

Bev Vincent, best known perhaps for his non-fiction work (The Illustrated Stephen King Companion, The Road to the Dark Tower) proves there’s a whole different side to his talent with his representation here. Of particular note is “Knock ‘Em Dead,” the tale of an author who gets an unexpected boost in sales when patrons start dropping dead at his book signings. The story seems to have played its last note when Vincent drops in an interesting twist toward the end. “Something In Store” is another standout in the book, and a tale which many rabid readers can relate to — what would happen if you owned a bookstore, and whole rooms of priceless editions materialized there overnight? The tale starts out with an almost lighthearted “Isn’t this cool?” sort of vibe, but Vincent brings on the dark in a hurry.
  • Another cool story idea. Congrats on the kudos! 8-)
  • Nominated for a Black Quill Award for Best Dark Genre Anthology.
  • Great to see. Congrats.
  • If you feel the urge to vote for something, you can vote for Black Quills!
  • A nice review from Mario Guslandi at Horror World.
  • Honorable Mentions in Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year volume three

[list bull-bluesq][*]Vincent, Bev “Purgatory Noir,” When the Night Comes Down
    [*]Kenyon, Nate “Breeding the Demons,” When the Night Comes Down
    [*]D’Lacey, Joseph “The Quiet Ones,” When the Night Comes Down
    [/list]
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Honorable Mentions in Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year volume three

[list bull-bluesq][*]Vincent, Bev “Purgatory Noir,” When the Night Comes Down
    [*]Kenyon, Nate “Breeding the Demons,” When the Night Comes Down
    [*]D’Lacey, Joseph “The Quiet Ones,” When the Night Comes Down
    [/list]

Congrats!
  • There's now an audio version of Silvery Moon at Tales to Terrify.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: There's now an audio version of Silvery Moon at Tales to Terrify.

Just listened to this. Great tale. Was not sure which way the story was going to go and I came up with several scenarios, all of which turned out to be incorrect.

Your ending surprised me. Which is always great when it happens.

It was also better than all the ones I conjured up.

Congrats.

PS - the reader did a good job too.
  • Thanks -- I still haven't had a chance to listen to this. I'll have to get around to it soon!
  • At Dark Arts Books, we remain committed to producing bits of paper that have ink on them. Hopefully ink that occasionally conveys a splash of design along with a transgressive thought or two. Maybe ink that describes an image that will creep you out. Or make you laugh. We believe in killing trees to create physical archives of fiction that you can take to the beach without worrying that the salt air will fry their circuits.

All that said, we also believe in the e-book as a great ancillary delivery method allowing readers to have their whole library at their fingertips to peruse while they’re sitting in traffic. Or the bathroom. And since we’ve now finally gotten the entire Dark Arts catalogue “e-booked,” we can now finally make this offer:

Now, whenever you buy one of the trade paperbacks through the Dark Arts Website, you can also request an e-book copy of the book be sent to you at no extra charge. You bought the book — if you want to carry it around on your phone, iPad, Nook, Kindle, whatever to read during your morning staff meeting… why not? We want to bring Dark Arts to every corner of your life. So… order one of our anthologies on the site today… and ask for a side of e-book when you place your order!

http://www.darkartsbooks.com/?p=1239
  • "Knock 'em Dead," first published in this collection, is now available as a podcast at The Wicked Library.

Welcome Back Kiddies! Nelson moans about birds and the rapidly approaching Season Finale! Then, he dives into this week's author, the mighty Bev Vincent! Bev sent quite possibly the most actually wicked story to the Wicked Library called "Knock 'Em Dead."