Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Centralia is Still Burning

edited August 2010 in Short Stories
My short story "Centralia is Still Burning" will appear in Specters in Coal Dust, edited by Michael Knost for Woodlands Press.

The other authors in this anthology are: Gary A. Braunbeck, Christopher Golden, Tom Piccirilli, Steve Rasnic Tem, Elizabeth Massie, Lee Thomas, Ronald Kelly, William Meikle, Nate Southard, Joshua Reynolds, Barbara Jo Fleming, and Michael Bracken. To be published this fall. I imagine pre-orders will be accepted soon. Stay tuned!

Comments

• Editor Michael Knost says:

Specters in Coal Dust is back from the printer and Woodland Press is taking orders:

www.woodlandpress.com/book/folk-lore/pre-order-specters-coal-dust

The website says it is a pre-order and will ship on the 15th, but it's shipping now...they will have the website updated soon.

I am really proud of this project. In my opinion, it is the best anthology I have been associated with to date.

Contributors include:

Gary A. Braunbeck

Christopher Golden

Tom Piccirilli

Steve Rasnic Tem

Elizabeth Massie

Lee Thomas

Ronald Kelly

Bev Vincent

William Meikle

Nate Southard

Joshua Reynolds

Barbara Jo Fleming

Michael Bracken

Brian J. Hatcher
  • This book starts shipping today!
  • My contributor copy arrived last night -- looking forward to checking the rest of the book out!
  • A detailed, somewhat spoilerific review of Specters in Coal Dust. The reviewer says: One of the creepier ones, “Centralia Is Still Burning”, is written by Bev Vincent and is definitely one of my favorites.
  • My buddy Brian Keene brought two lumps of coal from Centralia to me at World Horror!
  • One of the few times such a gift would be considered complimentary I wager.
  • You bet. Brian and a group of friends went on an expedition there a while back. Wish I could have joined them.
  • It would depend how open the mine is - rather claustrophobic myself.
  • It's not a mine -- the coal runs right up to the surface. That's why it's still burning. There was a fire in a field that ignited the coal seam just under the surface and it spread deep underground and continues to burn 50 years later. The town had to be abandoned and the earth is still warm/hot to the touch in places and steam rises from the ground. You can find lots of videos about people visiting Centralia on YouTube.
  • Fascinating. Never heard of it till this story collection. Thanks for the info - Will check it out.