Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Next Convenant Novel-Against All Things Ending

edited October 2010 in Free for all
Hey Bev.

Have you read this yet? With the previous book I believe you were able to get it early.

If so, your thoughts?

Comments

• I haven't read it yet -- haven't thought to ask for a review copy. Must correct that asap!
  • Asked for a copy -- and it's on the way to me now. Thanks for reminding me about this book!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Asked for a copy -- and it's on the way to me now. Thanks for reminding me about this book!

No problem. Next time ask for two! ;)
  • I actually asked for an eGalley, but they're not doing that yet.
  • Received my review copy today -- near the top of the TBR queue!
  • I should be getting my copy, along with King's latest from Amazon in early/mid November.
  • Finished it.  Really enjoyed it.  The pace in this one was pretty unrelenting.

Liand's moment with Jeremiah caught me off guard.  The toughest part of the book for me.

Look forward to your review Bev.
  • I'm at page 500, where Jeremiah just finished his bone sculpture. Might finish it this weekend. I thought the cast of characters was so large that it slowed things down a lot at the beginning. Whenever anything happened, it literally took a page or two to summarize everyone's reactions!
  • Very true but it never became an issue for me which is a credit to Donaldson.
  • I also thought there was more than the usual dose of dithering about what to do, especially given the stakes. The world's about to end...but let's hash out all our other little issues, first. Oh, yeah, and Harrow...just chill.
  • The Harrow indeed turned out to be a buffoon.

I would hazard the amount of dithering increased because of the end of world stakes.

Poor Elena. Just when it seems she cannot go any lower. Ouch.

Looks like I enjoyed it more than you are.
  • I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding it slow going. After 500 pages, not a whole lot has really happened. A couple of deaths, the thing with Jeremiah, but they're flailing around blind more or less, without any purpose driving them, except for Covenant. I just wish they weren't all so morose! I liked the Ardent. He was fun.
  • Agreed. And his time was all too brief.
  • After more than three decades, the concluding book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant—Unbeliever is publishing in October 2013!

Here is a bit more about The Last Dark:

Compelled step by step to actions whose consequences they could neither see nor prevent, Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery have fought for what they love in the magical reality known only as “the Land.” Now they face their final crisis. Reunited after their separate struggles, they discover in each other their true power–and yet they cannot imagine how to stop the Worm of the World’s End from unmaking Time. Nevertheless they must resist the ruin of all things, giving their last strength in the service of the world’s continuance.

• Another reading milestone looming.

I know it won't be as impactful as getting to the end of the Dark Tower but I still await with anticipation to discover how Donaldson is going to conclude this.
  • Me, too!
  • And true to form Donaldson had me going to the dictionary to look up a meaning of a word from that excerpt.

simony - is the act of paying for sacraments and consequently for holy offices or for positions in the hierarchy of a church, named after Simon Magus, who appears in the Acts of the Apostles 8:9-24. Simon Magus was said to have offered two disciples of Jesus, Peter and John, payment so that anyone on whom he would place his hands would receive the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the origin of the term simony;[1] but it also extends to other forms of trafficking for money in "spiritual things"
  • Maybe I'll read this one as an eBook so the dictionary is right there in my hands!
  • I just got the e-Galley of the final book: The Last Dark.
  • Nice. And yes - I'm jealous - again.
  • I started it this morning -- great to be back in The Land.
  • How many pages is it?
  • Thanks - seems short.
  • Same length as Against All Things Ending, almost to the page!