Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Bank Job wins the Al Blanchard Award

edited November 2010 in Short Stories
I've known this for months but can now share the news: my short story "The Bank Job" won the Al Blanchard Award at Crime Bake last weekend, and I was in Boston to accept the award in person. Maybe photos later.

The story is published in Thin Ice from Level Best Books, which launched at the conference.

Comments

• Fantastic Bev! Another feather in your cap.

Congratulations! 8-)
  • First review: Connie's Reviews

'The Bank Job' by Bev Vincent is a very cleverly written plot with the story cetering on the power of loyalty and friendship among men. Vincent's story is one of my favorites and I thoroughly enjoyed the humor he injects in his cast of characters. The story sound so 'Jersey' I loved it! A quite unusual story.
  • Reviewing the Evidence

More than a few twisted endings will make the whole thing even more enjoyable. In particular, the first story, winner of the Al Blanchard Crime Fiction Award, The Bank Job by Bev Vincent, is an excellent example of compelling reading. So too, and somewhat parallel in tone and subject matter, comes near the end with Ray Daniel's Communion. Each revolves around friendships, loyalty, and gritty circumstances with less than angelic characters leading the way.
  • This article about one of Thin Ice's editors and contributors says some nice things about the book and about my story:

My other favorites included "The Bank Job," about a bank robbery gone right for the hero-loser; and a charming piece called "Changes" in which an elderly Alzheimer's candidate outwits a robbery plan.
  • 8-) very 8-)
  • Nice review in Manchester Examiner

In part: "It isn’t often that I get a chance to read a book of short stories from a collection of authors with so much talent, and even less often that I get to review such a book. Thin Ice, Crime Stories by New England Writers is an anthology of twenty-five of the most cleverly written and thought-provoking crime stories ever assembled in one collection, from some of New England’s best and brightest award-winning authors!"
  • North Shore Book Notes: New England mystery series continues

This year’s winner, “The Bank Job” by Bev Vincent, is another of the collection’s standouts. Frankie, a ne’er-do-well who has real problems staying out of trouble, finds he must pay back an outstanding debt with staggering interest post haste. He and his kindly buddies come up with a scheme. These are good guys who’d rather sit around, drink and play pool than rob banks. Readers are seduced by their camaraderie and the hilarity that ensues. Frankie is alive on the page — rare for short mystery stories where so much plot work needs to be done in less than 5,000 words, in this case. Frankie is the master of witty observation. More of this man, please. It’s the first piece in the book and a must-read.
  • "A Good Safe Place” by Judith Green (from Thin Ice) was nominated for an Edgar Award for best short story.