Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Remake: Firestarter

edited February 2022 in Adaptations
Universal is looking to reignite the "Firestarter" flame.

The studio and Dino De Laurentiis Co. have teamed to reboot the 1984 horror pic, with Mark L. Smith onboard to pen the script.

Although there were no sequels to the original feature, based on the Stephen King tome, the studio aims to turn the reboot into a franchise property.

The 1984 pic starred Drew Barrymore as a girl able to start fires at will. It grossed $17 million at the domestic B.O. and was also produced through U and De Laurentiis' Co.

Plot details for the reboot are being kept under wraps. It's expected to be loosely based on the original King book, but the main character is to be reinvented with a little more edge.

De Laurentiis Co. chairman Martha De Laurentiis and prexy of production Lorenzo De Maio will produce through the De Laurentiis Co. along with Steven Schneider through his Room 101 banner.

"We see this as a unique, character-driven thriller with a supernatural edge, based on a timeless concept and enhanced by recent visual effects advances," Martha De Laurentiis said.

Deal for "Firestarter" extends the longstanding relationship between U and De Laurentiis Co. The reboot was among the last projects the prolific Dino De Laurentiis worked on before his death in November at age 91.

"'Firestarter' has a great mythology and with Martha and Lorenzo's vision we believe the franchise can be extended in a new and exciting direction," said Debbie Liebling, U's prexy of production.

De Laurentiis Co. has a slew of projects in various stages of development, including a reboot of the cult classic "Barbarella," a remake of another King adaptation, "Maximum Overdrive" and a new spin on 1980s TV actioner "MacGyver."

Smith is now working on the "Firestarter" script. U hopes to get the pic into production next year, but has yet to take the project out to directors.

Besides the 1984 pic, cabler Syfy fielded a telepic in 2002 dubbed "Firestarter 2: Rekindled."

>>> Variety

The year was 1986 and the directorial debut of horror icon Stephen King roared off of the big screen like a big bloody fun behemoth. The AC/DC soundtrack kicked ass, the Green Goblin's head has never been the same, and to this very day we refuse to look at any appliance the same way ever again.

Can a remake of this cult classic capture the same kind of magic? Who knows, but according to Variety Dino De Laurentiis Co. has one waiting in the wings.

The original film focused on what happened when the earth passed through the tail of a mysterious comet and the machines on Earth suddenly came to life and terrorize their human creators.

In terms of news regarding this upcoming remake, that's really all there is at the moment. Don't worry though, we'll keep our ears to the ground and if those big-ass semi's start rolling you'll be the first to know about it.
>>>Dread Central

Comments

• I'm down with remakes of these. 

Neither is a classic by any other stretch of the imagination, though Maximum Overdrive does have a kind of manic, unintentionally goofy charm to it - a, 'King in his party days,' vibe.  ;)
  • edited June 2018
    I dislike all remakes. Let's make something new, for crying out loud.

(I liked the campy-ness of Maximum Overdrive. It was so bad, it was good! Don't mess with it.)

John
  • edited June 2018
    Remaking good movies I have a problem with.

Not an issue with these two.
  • Fatih Akin will direct Universal Pictures, Akiva Goldsman, and Blumhouse Productions’ adaptation of Stephen King’s classic sci-fi thriller novel “Firestarter.”

Scott Teems will adapt the script.

Based on King’s classic novel, the story follows a young girl who develops pyrokinetic abilities and is abducted by a secret government agency that wants to harness her powerful gift as a weapon.

Goldsman will produce along with Jason Blum of Blumhouse. Blum most recently produced the hit “Split” from M. Night Shyamalan and Oscar winner “Get Out” from Jordan Peele. Martha de Laurentiis, who was an associate producer on the 1984 adaptation of “Firestarter” starring a young Drew Barrymore, will executive produce.

VP of production Sara Scott will oversee production for Universal.
  • Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions and Weed Road Productions are ramping up the adaptation of “Firestarter,” a reboot based on Stephen King’s novel. Keith Thomas (“Vigil”) will direct the film, while sources exclusively tell Variety that Blumhouse acquired domestic distribution rights.

Scott Teems, who penned Universal and Blumhouse’s “Halloween” sequel “Halloween Kills,” is adapting the screenplay. The film set over the course of a single evening in Brooklyn’s Hasidic Borough Park. King’s original story follows a young girl who develops pyro-kinetic abilities and is abducted by a secret government agency that wants to harness her powerful gift as a weapon.

Sources tell Variety that Blumhouse wanted to board the project after being blown away upon seeing its world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road Productions will also produce, along with, JD Lifshitz and Raphael Margules at Boulderlight and Adam Margules of Angry Adam Productions. Martha De Laurentiis, who was an associate producer on the 1984’s “Firestarter” with Drew Barrymore, will executive produce.

“Every once in a while you see a film that grasps and shakes you. ‘Vigil’ did that for us, and we were eager to be a part of the film and to work with Keith and the BoulderLight team,” Blum said in a statement.”

>>> Source

• We have a little update on the status of the Firestarter remake. Stephen King is one of the hottest brands in all of entertainment right now, in no small part thanks to the massive success of both IT and IT Chapter Two. King's 1980 novel has been on Universal's to-do list for some time now. As revealed to us by screenwriter Scott Teems, the movie is, or at least was, eyed to begin production sometime this year.

I recently had the chance to speak with Scott Teems in honor of his new movie The Quarry being released digitally. During our conversation, I asked about the status of Firestarter. According to Teems, Universal and Blumhouse Productions are eager to get this one going. Here's what he had to say about it.

"I'm still the writer. We just got a new director named Keith Thomas and he made a great film called The Vigil coming up this year, and Universal and Blumhouse, they want to make Firestarter. It has always been an important project to them. I think we're making active steps toward that happening this year. You know, the industry shut down notwithstanding, and that may change things, but right now, I'm really hopeful that it might happen this year."

Currently Hollywood is at a standstill until social distancing orders are lifted and productions can find a way to resume safely. That will unquestionably impact whatever plans studios had, but it seems safe to assume Firestarter isn't something they are going to scrap, as it has a great deal of potential. As Scott Teems mentions, Keith Thomas was brought on board to direct the Stephen King adaptation in December of last year, signaling the project had gained some new steam. The remake was initially announced in April 2017.

Firestarter centers on an organization called the Department of Scientific Intelligence, aka "The Shop." Two participants in their mysterious research program end up getting married and having a child. Their offspring, Charlie McGee, inherited pyrokinetic powers from her parents, who were given a low-grade hallucinogen called "Lot Six" during their college years. Now the government is trying to apprehend the young Charlie in order to harness her powerful and unique skills as a weapon. There is no word on casting currently and the big question is who will be tapped to play Charlie this time around.

Mark L. Lester previously helmed an adaptation of the novel which was released in 1984 which starred Drew Barrymore as Charlie. It proved to be modestly successful, though far from a runaway hit. A TV miniseries titled Firestarter: Rekindled was also released in 2002. Universal has not yet set a release date for the new adaptation, but we'll be sure to keep you posted as any further information is made available.

>>> Source

Notaro
  • I sincerely hope they do a good job.  I hated the first version.  So anything has got to be better, right?
    Notaro
  • I sincerely hope they do a good job.  I hated the first version.  So anything has got to be better, right?
    Mmmm Hmm Riiiiiight - Celebs - Celebrities  Funny  Hollywood
    NotaroKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    I sincerely hope they do a good job.  I hated the first version.  So anything has got to be better, right?
    Mmmm Hmm Riiiiiight - Celebs - Celebrities  Funny  Hollywood
    Just trying to stay positive.  bwhahahaa!
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Personally I'd prefer if they tried to do one of SK's works that hasn't been adapted yet, but I guess with the original movies of Firestarter and Maximum Overdrive there as templates they can see what works and what doesn't work from a  cinematic viewpoint. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • While we wait for his horror movie The Vigil, director Keith Thomas has teased his next project in a chat with Zavvi: a new adaptation of Stephen King‘s Firestarter for Blumhouse.

The screenplay was written by Halloween Kills co-writer Scott Teems, and Thomas notes during his interview with Zavvi that he’s hoping to begin filming the movie this year.

When Jason [Blum] pitched it to me it was exciting, as that’s one of my favourite Stephen King novels, and whilst I really like the 1980’s film, I felt we could do something new,” Thomas told the site, adding that King himself has read the script and approved him as director.

He continued, “The screenplay is by Scott Teems who wrote the upcoming Halloween Kills, it’s an amazing script. It has everything you would want, people’s heads catching fire and their faces melting off, and a dad and daughter on the run trying to survive being chased in this heightened tense experience. We are hoping to film it this year, and it will be a lot of fun.”

>> Source

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • While we wait for his horror movie The Vigil, director Keith Thomas has teased his next project in a chat with Zavvi: a new adaptation of Stephen King‘s Firestarter for Blumhouse.

The screenplay was written by Halloween Kills co-writer Scott Teems, and Thomas notes during his interview with Zavvi that he’s hoping to begin filming the movie this year.

When Jason [Blum] pitched it to me it was exciting, as that’s one of my favourite Stephen King novels, and whilst I really like the 1980’s film, I felt we could do something new,” Thomas told the site, adding that King himself has read the script and approved him as director.

He continued, “The screenplay is by Scott Teems who wrote the upcoming Halloween Kills, it’s an amazing script. It has everything you would want, people’s heads catching fire and their faces melting off, and a dad and daughter on the run trying to survive being chased in this heightened tense experience. We are hoping to film it this year, and it will be a lot of fun.”

>> Source

....ayuh.....melty faces and pyro heads...dang betcha!....
    Hedda GablerNotaro
  • I liked the original a lot, I know it's not one of the best adaptations out there but it has plenty to recommend it, I guess a remake is justified, I think enough time has passed, I just checked, it was released in 1984, a lifetime ago, I remember going to see it back then. 😳
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTKurben
  • Notaro said:
    I liked the original a lot, I know it's not one of the best adaptations out there but it has plenty to recommend it, I guess a remake is justified, I think enough time has passed, I just checked, it was released in 1984, a lifetime ago, I remember going to see it back then. 😳
    ....we are simply vintage folk....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerKurben
  • Not I said the little red hen.

Firestarter needs an update.  Desperately.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Collider reports that Zac Efron has signed on to star in a new adaptation of Firestarter from Universal, Blumhouse and Weed Road.

Keith Thomas will direct from a script by Scott Teems (Halloween Kills). Efron will play Andy McGee.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablercatKurbenNotaro
  • ...the look is very "Drewish"....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Sydney Lemmon will play Charlie's mother.

Lemmon most recently starred as Ana Helstrom in the Marvel/Hulu series, Helstrom. She previously guest starred in HBO’s Emmy-winning series Succession and AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead, for which she received a Saturn Award Nomination. She was seen in Dan Gilroy’s Velvet Buzzsaw opposite Tom Sturridge, an official selection of the 2019 Sundance Film Festival. She will next appear in the independent feature Plain Fiction.

>>> Source
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro