Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

11/22/63

Comments

• It should be pointed out that Morris' NYT Book Review article about 11/22/63 is also available.

I saw the Morris items linked to at another site with the headline Morris "Interviews The Sage Of Maine".  I thought that was a very interesting way to describe SK.
  • My buddy Bob was at the Texas Book Depository and had to wait to go in because they were "filming" inside -- probably doing that interview.
  • Ms Mod wrote, "I was told last week that the hardcover (not limited) edition is in its third printing for a total of 760,000 US and 108,000 Canadian copies."
  • USA Today seems obsessed with 11/22/63.  Now they're talking about its cover.  Also, the book has debuted at #2 on their bestseller list, after Christopher Paolini's final Inheritance Cycle novel.
  • "11/22/63" jumped straight to the top of the Publishers Weekly best-sellers list on Thursday.
  • STREAK, PART II: The new champion of the fiction list has been a familiar presence on this page for 35 years. Stephen King has written almost 50 novels in his career, and every single one has spent time on the best-seller list (every eligible one, that is — King’s unfinished e-book, “The Plant,” was released serially before The New York Times tracked e-book sales). In 1976, when King had his first No. 1 title with “ ’Salem’s Lot,” he wrote an essay for the Book Review noting that one of his favorite literary authors, David Madden, had earned about $15,000 for his novel “Bijou,” which took him six years to write. By contrast, King said, he stood to make half a million dollars for his eight months of work on “ ’Salem’s Lot.” “How does the contrast make me feel?” King asked. “In a word, guilty. But in another two words, not guilty.” King argued that while “Bijou” was the better book, “there’s an art to accessibility,” and that writers have to be applauded for “the honest intent to do as well as possible.” It’s a philosophy that has won him admirers in high places: “Never mind all the best sellers and all the stereotypes — this man is a genuine, trueborn writer,” Cynthia Ozick told The Times Magazine in 2000. “He is not Tom Clancy. He writes sentences, and he has a literary focus, and his writing is filled with literary history. It’s not glib, it’s not just contemporary chatter and it’s not stupid — that’s a bad way to say that something’s smart, but that’s what I mean.”

King’s new novel, “11/22/63,” is about time travel and the John Kennedy assassination, and in its first week it leaps right to the top of the hardcover fiction list. In it, King takes the position that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. Has he heard from conspiracy theorists? “So far,” he said via e-mail, “the only one who’s taken me to task is Frank Darabont” (who directed the movie adaptations of King’s books “The Shawshank Redemption,” “The Green Mile” and “The Mist”). “He’s a conspiracy believer. I don’t argue with him, or any of them,” King continued. “Hey, this is America, right?”

>>> Source
  • A full-length video of King's appearance at the JFK Library in Boston is now available. Features a reading from 11/22/63 and an interview with Tom Perrotta.
  • Dallas Morning News: Is Stephen King’s JFK novel too hard on Dallas?

Stephen King nominated for Bad Sex awards

Now in its 19th year, the award, organised annually by the Literary Review, was set up to mock the gratuitous and often excrutiatingly embarrassing descriptions of sex in literature.

King is nominated for his new novel 11.22.63, about a teacher who travels back in time and tries to prevent the assassination of John F Kennedy. In the book, he likens sex to "a horizontal version of the Madison" dance.

Others on the shortlist include Haruki Murakami, for his 1Q84 trilogy and James Frey, for the The Final Testament of the Holy Bible, as well as Sebastian Barry and Lee Child.
  • The New York Times has declared 11/22/63 to be one of the 100 notable books of the year.

(I tried posting this yesterday, but I messed up somehow and got banned for a time.)
  • And now in the New York Times:  a Republican opinion columnist uses 11/22/63 to weigh in on The Enduring Cult of Kennedy.
  • King's letter to the editor of the NY Times: A Stephen King Thriller: What Motivated Oswald?
  • Somehow I knew that opinion column would get a response from SK, and an interesting one, too.

(glad to no longer be an ex-member)
  • Something happened to your profile -- I had to restore it from backup.
  • A new 3D promotional video for the 11/22/63 Audiobook has been posted on the main site for StephenKing.com. Featuring the voice work of Craig Wasson, the video offers a glimpse into Al's Diner and Jake's trip into the past. You can watch the video using the links on the Home page or at the Promo page.
  • From the New York Times' Selling Books by Their Gilded Covers:

There are indications that an exquisitely designed hardcover book can keep print sales high and cut into e-book sales. For instance, “1Q84” has sold 95,000 copies in hardcover and 28,000 in e-book — an inversion of the typical sales pattern of new fiction at Knopf. Scribner, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, published “11/22/63.”

“We hoped that a handsome object would slow the migration to e-book for King and, in fact, we are now in our fourth printing,” said Nan Graham, the senior vice president and editor in chief at Scribner.

• Trade paperback edition announced:

Gallery Books, October 2012

Trade Paperback, 864 pages

ISBN-10: 1451627297

ISBN-13: 9781451627299
  • International Thriller Award nominations

Best Hard Cover Novel:

Joseph Finder - BURIED SECRETS (St. Martin’s Press)

Jonathan Hayes - A HARD DEATH (Harper)

Stephen King - 11/22/63 (Scribner)

Michael Koryta - THE RIDGE (Little, Brown and Co.)

Marcus Sakey - THE TWO DEATHS OF DANIEL HAYES (Dutton Adult)

2012 Thriller Awards Winners to be announced at ThrillerFest VI July 14, 2012, Grand Hyatt, NYC.
  • Alex Shakar's novel "Luminarium," about the role technology and spirituality play in shaping people's reality, and Stephen King's "11/22/1963," about a time traveler who attempts to prevent John F. Kennedy's assassination, were among the winners Friday at the 32nd annual Los Angeles Times Book Prizes.

>>> Full story
  • Great article about Frank. Thanks for sharing.