Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Carrie remake

edited May 2011 in Adaptations
Thirty-five years after Stephen King’s first best-seller roared into theaters and scared a generation of prom-going teens, MGM and Screen Gems have hired playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to resurrect Carrie with a more faithful adaptation of King’s novel, according to Deadline.

But King, who famously disapproved of Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining, tells EW he still has a soft spot for Brian De Palma’s original film: “I’ve heard rumblings about a Carrie remake, as I have about The Stand and It. Who knows if it will happen? The real question is why, when the original was so good? I mean, not Casablanca, or anything, but a really good horror-suspense film, much better than the book. Piper Laurie really got her teeth into the bad-mom thing. Although Lindsay Lohan as Carrie White… hmmm. It would certainly be fun to cast. I guess I could get behind it if they turned the project over to one of the Davids: Lynch or Cronenberg.”

Aguirre-Sacasa, who recently rewrote the Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark script, is an accomplished comic-book author familiar with the King oeuvre; he adapted King’s epic The Stand into comic-book form in 2008.

>>> Entertainment Weekly

Comments

• 35 years! Wow that is one of those little factoids that makes one reLize how fast time goes...... :-[
  • Deadline sez: Kimberly Peirce is in talks to direct Carrie, the remake of the Stephen King thriller about the telekinetic teenager who gets pushed too far at the prom and wreaks havoc on her fellow high school students. Peirce is best known for helming another troubled female coming-of-age tragedy, the Hilary Swank-starrer Boys Don’t Cry. Carrie was previously turned into the 1976 film that starred Sissy Spacek, John Travolta and Amy Irving, with Piper Laurie as the repressive mother. The script has been written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, whose rewrite work helped save Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark on Broadway. Aguirre-Sacasa set out to write a version of Carrie that is more faithful to the King book, and more grounded than the Brian De Palma-directed film. That kind of grounded material is something Peirce does well. She last directed Stop-Loss and is repped at CAA.
  • I wrote an essay for FEARnet about the various Carrie adaptations, both cinematic and dramatic: Carrie On
  • MGM's search for a young actress to play the title role in their retelling of Stephen King's Carrie has reportedly been narrowed down to two contenders.

Vulture claims that Hit Girl herself, teen actress Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass, Let Me In, Hugo), is a leading candidate, as is 24-year-old Haley Bennett (The Haunting of Molly Hartley).

The Descendants' Shailene Woodley reportedly passed on the role this week. Others who have read for Carrie include Dakota Fanning, Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Bella Heathcote (In Time), and Lily Collins (Mirror Mirror). True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld was also once rumored for the role.

Furthermore, director Kimberly Peirce is said to be eying either Jodie Foster or Julianne Moore as Carrie's mother, played in the original Brian De Palma film by Oscar nominee Piper Laurie.

>>> Source
  • Child star Chloe Grace Moretz has landed the leading role in a movie remake of Stephen King’s chilling horror tale Carrie.

The Hugo actress, 15, will portray possessed teenager Carrie White in the supernatural film, taking on the part made famous by a young Sissy Spacek in director Brian De Palma’s classic 1976 adaptation.

Filmmaker Kim Pierce will direct the new project and Moretz is thrilled at the prospect of bringing Carrie to a new generation.

In a Twitter.com post on Tuesday, she writes, “Never been so happy in my life! Thank you Kim Pierce and thank u MGM for the chance of a lifetime i will never forget!”
  • Theatrical release in the U.S.: March 15th, 2013.
  • Good pedigree of talent. Much as I enjoy the original it has certainly become dated.

A remake with modern film making sensibilities and technology could open the film to a new generation of fans.

The worrisome thing is how poorly the other remakes of this story have fared.
  • The director writes:

I have gone back to the wonderful STEPHEN KING Book CARRIE; I am also modernizing the story as one has to in order to bring any great piece of work written in one era into the next and especially given how very relevant this material is right now.

Chloe is going deep into character to get this right....sewing her own dresses, spending time in her closet....and so much more....Thanks for all the great wishes. We are on it! And privileged to be working with such great source material.
  • Julianne Moore is in talks to play Carrie's mother. That would be a real "get" and raise interest in the remake.
  • Absolutely!
  • "Chronicle" star Alex Russell and Off Broadway thesp Ansel Elgort are in negotiations to join the cast of MGM and Screen Gems' "Carrie" remake, which stars Chloe Moretz in the title role.
  • Julianne Moore has signed too! 8-)
  • The cast is really starting to shape up for Kimberley Peirce’s (Boys Don’t Cry) remake of the classic horror film, Carrie. The new adaptation of the Stephen King source novel already features Chloe Moretz in the title role with Julianne Moore playing Carrie’s conservative and controlling mother. Now, it looks like some of Carrie’s classmate tormenters are in the process of being cast, with Ivana Baquero (Pan’s Labyrinth) and Gabriella Wilde (The Three Musketeers) having recently joined. Another addition is Judy Greer (13 Going on 30) who in talks to play the pivotal role of the girls’ gym teacher. It’s not known yet whether the Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Big Love) adaptation will follow Brian De Palma’s original to the letter or if some artistic license will be taken.

Bloody Disgusting reported on both the news of Baquero’s addition as well as that of Wilde and Greer. Baquero, best known for her role in Guillermo Del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth, is reported to be considered the frontrunner to play teen tormentor, Chris. If the character names and roles are being carried over from the original, expect “Chris” to be one of the cruelest of Carrie’s classmates and the catalyst for the ultimate climax of the film. Wilde, on the other hand, is reported to star as “Sue.” Again, if this character is similar to the original’s Sue Snell, she’ll be another bully who picks on Carrie but, unlike Chris, is actually able to feel remorse. Greer is in negotiations to play the gym teacher, who was the closest thing Carrie had to a responsible adult in the original. While these characters seem drawn directly from the 1976 film, I’m looking forward to seeing what twists Peirce and Aguirre-Sacasa have in store. Carrie also stars Ansel Elgort and Alex Russell. The remake is scheduled to debut on March 15th, 2013.

>>> Source
  • Of all the remakes, reboots, and reimaginings in the works, the one we have the least animosity towards is probably “Boys Don’t Cry” director Kimberly Peirce’s upcoming remake of “Carrie.” Sure, Brian De Palma already turned author Stephen King’s twisted tale – of a girl with telekinetic powers who is abused by her own fundamentalist mother and her high school peers, all leading to one horrifying night at prom – into a classic film, but this new version shows promise. Peirce has lined up some great talent in “Hugo” lead Chloe Grace Moretz for the role of Carrie, and the always excellent Julianne Moore taking over the role of her mother Margaret White. Now it appears that Moretz is looking to put even more distance between the upcoming adaptation and De Palma's 1976 movie.

At Vanity Fair’s “Face of the Future” event honoring the young star, Moretz spoke of her aspirations for the project, adding that she will be “changing everything about me—my hair, my look." It’ll be hard to imagine the 15-year-old brunette going for a more Gothic persona, even though she proved she could have a darker side in “Let Me In” and even “Dark Shadows” – she adds that, “I’m doing my own take on [the character]. The script is totally different from the [original]. It’s more like the book. It’s a more 'Black Swan' version—it messes with your mind. You’ll see things, and you don’t know if you’ve seen them.” While “it’s more like the book” is a popular phrase for anyone to utter who’s working on a remake, we could see how Peirce and company would want to aim for a different take on the story and character. After all, the tale could certainly use a modern update – even if we didn’t exactly NEED one – and going for something a bit more psychological in nature could yield some interesting results.

Filming is set to begin in the fall, with a March 15, 2013 release date already set. It’ll be interesting to see what route Pierce takes with this film – whether it’ll pander to the kiddies or be a little more mature genre fare – and we suppose we’ll have a good idea when the MPAA slaps this with a rating (a PG-13 would be pretty telling).

Also: Deadline reports that Portia Doubleday and Judy Greer have joined the upcoming latest adaptation of Stephen King's Carrie, which will be directed by Kim Pierce. Doubleday will play Chris Hargensen, the central antagonist who was played by Nancy Allen in the 1976 Brian De Palma film. Judy Greer will play gym teacher Miss Desjardin. This character was known as Miss Collins in the 1976 film and was played by Betty Buckley, who played Mrs. White in the 1988 infamous Broadway musical version.
  • [table][tr][td]What makes the destructive conclusion of Stephen King's Carrie so powerful is the absolute plainness that kicks off the story. Carrie White is the daughter of a fundamentalist Christian mother who dresses her in outdated, drab clothing so hideous, no beauty can escape its black hole of style. The look inspires the worst reactions imaginable from Carrie's high school classmates, who torture her so badly, she lashes out with telekinetic fury.

An absolutely terrifying scenario, but one we can't wait to see the young Chloe Moretz tackle in the upcoming remake from director Kimberly Peirce. The first photos from the set of Carrie have crept online and now we've got our first look at Moretz in one of the character's signature outfits. Green dress, blue cardigan, a cross necklace — yup, that's the modest Carrie. Moretz is a good looking gal and a solid actress, but even the simplest outfit instantly transforms her into the titular social outcast. Spot on.

Costarring Julianne Moore, Judy Greer and Portia Doubleday, Carrie is currently in production and is expected to hit theaters on March 15, 2013.[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

>>> Source
  • I see the clip was removed.  Here is an alternative site - http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/carrie-set-clip No idea how long it will stay up there either.
  • While they haven’t actually shot the pig’s blood scene yet, Greer – who plays the compassionate Mrs. Desjardin – has seen some tests and says it won’t disappoint. “It’s amazeballs… Weirdly, it’s kind of beautiful,” she told E! “It’s really totally jarring and creepy but also in a strange way gorgeous.” She also had kind things to say about Moretz, “ Chloë’s performance — and this is literal — has brought me to tears on set. She’s made me cry because I find her performance to be incredibly moving. I’m feeling a lot of compassion for her.”

>>> Source
  • Chloe Moretz reveals first pictures from 'Carrie' remake

The promotional stills, which are running in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, show the Kick-Ass star drenched in blood in an image that calls back to Brian De Palma's '70s original.

• Very promising images.
  • The director just posted this on Facebook:

Still shooting nights. Going into the final laps here with Carrie White (Chloe Moretz) tracking down and confronting her nemesis Chris Hargenson (Portia Doubleday) and Chris; boyfriend Billy Nolan (Alex Russel).... blood.... powers... cars.... crashes... heartbreak... and some surprises.
  • Thanks Bev.

Boy has media coverage really changed these days.

Getting shots like this has become commonplace but it still manages to amaze once in awhile how quickly information is captured and shared now.
  • Carrie Bloodies Up Comic-Con!

The remake of Carrie arrived -- with a splash of red -- in the IGN Theater at New York Comic-Con today. Stars Chloë Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore took the stage to talk about the film along with producer Kevin Misher and director Kimberly Peirce.

A teaser trailer was shown at the start of the panel. Brief but effective, it featured a long crane shot as the camera sweeps over the devastated remains of Carrie's town. As the viewpoint moves closer and closer to street level, we zoom in on the blood-soaked Carrie. And all the while, voice overs describe Carrie after the fact. She was a nice girl!

Misher said they went back to the King book to incorporate the more wide ranging destruction that Carrie's powers cause. "Fun with telekinetics," he called it.

Chloe said the iconic Carrie blood bath was fun for maybe the first two weeks that she had to endure it... and then it just got sticky. There was wet blood, fire blood, this blood and that blood. But interestingly, the blood eventually soaked in, if you will, and helped inform how she played the character.

Moore said that for her character -- Carrie's mom -- she went to the novel for her back story. When she was pregnant, she thought it was a cancer she was carrying, and she even self-delivered the baby alone at home. She's all about a sense of love for her child, because she wants to keep Carrie safe, but obviously it's all very wrongheaded. Very.

Moore spoke about how here we have someone who is actually a teenager, unlike Sissy Spacek in the original. Moretz, when asked about the pressure of remaking a classic, said you have to think about it like any other movie and can't dwell on the legacy of the original film. Peirce also said that there are a lot of things that can be done now that couldn't back then in terms of CGI TK destruction.

A Q&A was next, which covered the following;

How much blood was used in the film? R&D worked on this for months -- there were scores of blood dumps, though when it comes to dumping buckets of blood most of the time you're gonna miss. Also, no pigs were actually harmed in the making of the movie.

Peirce said that she often worried about that fine line between horror and comedy: How big a knife is too big and when does scary become funny?

When asked if the modern day bullying issue informed the film at all, Peirce said there's a through line in the picture with social media that climaxes at the end, but that is just a reflection of the modem world. The director added that it's important that you keep all the characters dimensional. How does the "bad" girl go from throwing tampons to killing a pig? This is what the movie is about as well as Carrie's struggle.

And lastly, for anyone who is so inclined, you can call Carrie's house: 207-404-2604. You won't regret it!