Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Man With a Pan

edited June 2011 in General news
Man With a Pan

Stories from dads who cook, by fathers from Mario Batali to Stephen King

Inspiration comes from surprising places, like from horror novelist Stephen King, who urges readers to lower the heat and take a "gentle" approach to cooking. Screenwriter Matt Greenberg contributes an homage to King in the form of a screenplay about a man who becomes fatally obsessed with a barbecue grill while caring for an empty, isolated hotel in the off season.

King's essay is called "On Cooking," and runs for about four pages, plus a recipe for "Pretty Good Cake."

From an Amazon review: There's Stephen King whose "weapon of choice is the frying pan." As he says, "You can call it sauteing if it makes you feel better - but it's really just educated frying." It seems you can give him a fry pan, a hunk of butter, and he can cook anything. His tips on preparing an omelet are not only on target but as fascinating to read as his fiction.

Comments

• Master of Horror, Slave to Cheesecake: Stephen King on His Favorite Foods

Before Stephen King became America's foremost master of fear, selling some 350 million books, he was just a young guy whose wife cooked him dinner. "There's a long-running joke that I married Tabitha because we were poor, and she came with a typewriter," King says. "But it's really because of the fish that she cooked for me." Four decades later, simplicity still reigns at their table, though brain food means dessert. "I have a son who swears by creme brulee and always eats it before he writes. For me, it's cheesecake. I also love baking bread. It makes the house smell wonderful." The diet delivers results (his novel Under the Dome is now airing as a CBS TV series, and his sequel to The Shining hits shelves in September). However, he avoids certain ingredients. "I'm not a fan of anything slippery or slimy," says King. "I don't eat oysters. It's horrible, the way they slither down your throat alive." --Jonathan Durbin

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2013/07/stephen-king-interview.html#ixzz2YZhANQOt