Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Mile 81 -- eBook novella and film adaptation

edited February 2019 in General news
At Mile 81 on the Maine Turnpike is a boarded up rest stop, a place where place where high school kids drink and get into the kind of trouble high school kids have always gotten into. It’s the place where Pete Simmons goes when his older brother, who’s supposed to be looking out for him, heads off to the gravel pit to play “paratroopers over the side.”

Pete, armed only with the magnifying glass he got for his tenth birthday, finds a discarded bottle of vodka in the boarded up burger shack and drinks enough to pass out.

Not much later, a mud-covered station wagon (which is strange because there hadn’t been any rain in New England for over a week) veers into the Mile 81 rest area, ignoring the sign that says “closed, no services.” The driver’s door opens but nobody gets out.

Doug Clayton, an insurance man from Bangor, is driving his Prius to a conference in Portland. On the backseat are his briefcase and suitcase and in the passenger bucket is a King James Bible, what Doug calls “the ultimate insurance manual,” but it isn’t going to save Doug when he decides to be the Good Samaritan and help the guy in the broken down wagon. He pulls up behind it, puts on his four-ways, and then notices that the wagon has no plates.

Ten minutes later, Julianne Vernon, pulling a horse trailer, spots the Prius and the wagon, and pulls over. Julianne finds Doug Clayton’s cracked cell phone near the wagon door – and gets too close herself. By the time Pete Simmons wakes up from his vodka nap, there are a half a dozen cars at the Mile 81 rest stop. Two kids – Rachel and Blake Lussier –and one horse named Deedee are the only living left. Unless you maybe count the wagon.

With the heart of Stand By Me and the genius horror of Christine, Mile 81 is Stephen unleashing his imagination as he drives past one of those road signs...

Includes an excerpt from 11/22/63

>>> Source

Comments

• SK's message board says:  "As the announcement has appeared on external fan sites prematurely, we are now making the announcement."

Wasn't it Simon and Schuster, the publisher, that listed it first?

Also, because this is an e-book, I won't be able to read it as I don't have one of the devices and can't afford any.  I hope it comes out in some other format as well.
  • If you have a PC, there's a Kindle application you can install (free) that allows you to read Kindle books.
  • Yeah, but I use computers in the library and I don't know if such applications would work here. Also, what if I go to a different computer? (Not that I'm asking for advice here, I'm just saying.)
  • Yeah, that is a problem. Most libraries frown on installing programs on their computers. Some, though, have a way of checking out eBooks, so maybe they have a mechanism for reading them on-site, too.
  • StephenKing.com is proud to announce a bold partnership with Klout.com and Scribner to bring our users an early giveaway of Stephen's new e-book, Mile 81. After submitting their information on the page located at this link, a select number of entrants will be chosen at random to receive a free digital copy of Mile 81 six days before its release on September 1st. Good luck!
  • Somebody at the AP noticed Mile 81's existence and wrote a short article about it.

• And here's what they had to say over at The Atlantic:

Scribner will publish an ebook-only edition of a new Stephen King story called "Mile 81" next Thursday. The press release describes it as "the chilling story of an insatiable car and a heroic kid whose worlds collide at an abandoned rest stop on the Maine Turnpike." We love cars and we love King, which is why we don't mind that this makes six short stories ("Trucks," "Sometimes They Come Back," "The Lawnmower Man," "Uncle Otto's Truck, "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut," and now "Mile 81"), two novels (Christine and From a Buick 8) and one screenplay (Maximum Overdrive) involving demonic vehicles of one type or another. But scary is scary. Publishers Weekly notes that users of the confusing "digital influence" tracking site Klout with the requisite social media juice (which seems to be obtained mainly through tweets about Justin Bieber) can download the story for free today from any of the major ebook merchants.

And at Publishers Weekly:

To generate early word-of-mouth for Stephen King's November novel, 11/22/63, Scribner is releasing an e-short by the author called Mile 81, working with social media company Klout. Klout is among a crop of new companies that measures a person's social media "influence"--done by tracking the level of engagement someone draws with online connections on sites like Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin--and will be offering Mile 81, along with an excerpt from 11/22/63, as a free download for a week before it goes on sale on September 1.

Before Mile 81 becomes available at e-tailers across the country, for $2.99, Klout members who are deemed by the site to be effective influencers will be given the chance to download the e-short for free and, it is hoped, will then generate buzz by engaging their online audience in discussions about the work. A rep at S&S, who said there is not a connection between the story in Mile 81 and King's forthcoming novel, said this is the first time the publisher has worked with Klout.
  • ‘Mile 81’ Heads To Screen With ‘1922’ Producer Campfire & Director Alistair Legrand

Alistair Legrand (Clinical) has been set to direct supernatural horror thriller Mile 81, based on the 2011 novella by Stephen King. Producer is Ross M. Dinerstein, who recently produced Netflix’s King adaptation 1922 and the streaming service’s John Grisham inspired docuseries The Innocent Man. Paradigm is handling sales, and introducing the project at the European Film Market in Berlin.

Script comes from Legrand and Luke Harvis (The Diabolical). Production is planned for fall 2019 with casting discussions underway.

Set around a remote, boarded-up rest stop, the film will follow 12-year-old Pete, his brother, and a group of strangers who must fight to survive as they’re hunted by a mysterious force.

Legrand previously directed horror pics The Diabolical with Ali Larter and Netflix’s Clinical starring Vinessa Shaw. Both titles were written by Legrand and Harvis, and produced by Dinerstein, whose other credits include The Pact, The Divide and The Nightmare.

Legrand and Harvis are repped by UTA and MXN Entertainment. King is repped by Paradigm and Gang, Tyre.