Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Road Rage

edited September 2011 in Short Stories
I just sold a short story called "Road Rage" to Michael Kelly for his anthology Chilling Tales 2 to be out late next year from Edge. This is my fourth story in an Edge anthology. Finally cracking the Canadian markets! As with the first volume, this one has an anagrammatic subtitle: In words alas drown I.

Comments

• Congrats! Mike's a great guy. He lives about 20 minutes from my home.
  • Table of Contents for Chilling Tales 2

In Libitina’s House by Camille Alexa

Gingerbread People by Colleen Anderson

Meteor Lake by Kevin Cockle

Homebody by Gemma Files

Snowglobes by Lisa L Hannett

The Dog’s Paw by Derek Künsken

The Flowers of Katrina by Claude Lalumière

Goldmine by Daniel LeMoal

The Salamander’s Waltz by Catherine MacLeod

Weary, Bone Deep by Michael Matheson

The Windemere by Susie Moloney

Black Hen A La Ford by David Nickle

Day Pass by Ian Rogers

Fiddleheads by Douglas Smith

Dwelling on the Past by Simon Strantzas

Heart of Darkness by Edo van Belkom

Fishfly Season by Halli Villegas

Road Rage by Bev Vincent

Crossroads Blues by Robert J. Wiersema

Honesty by Rio Youers
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: Congrats!  Mike's a great guy.  He lives about 20 minutes from my home.
    Well he did until my recent move to Alberta.

Road Rage, eh? Keeping the Canadian content angle going. ;)

Is this going to be a bookend piece to Harming Obsession? :)
  • I never thought of it like that, but I suppose you could think of it that way!
  • Awesome cover. Will be sure to check it out.
  • (Calgary) Looking for something to chill your bones? EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing is delighted to announce the release of "Chilling Tales: In Words Alas Drown I" edited by Toronto's Michael Kelly.

20 New Spine Tingling Tales...

Canada’s maestro of the macabre, Michael Kelly, brings you CHILLING TALES: In Words, Alas, Drown I, an all new collection of nightmares that will perturb and torment you. Tales that will leave a frisson of fear and raise a quiver of gooseflesh. A chill is in the air.

This tome includes selections by iconic Canadian dark fantasy and horror writers Camille Alexa, Colleen Anderson, Kevin Cockle, Gemma Files, Lisa L. Hannett, Sandra Kasturi, Derek Künsken, Claude Lalumière, Daniel LeMoal, Catherine MacLeod, Helen Marshall, Michael Matheson, David Nickle, Ian Rogers, Douglas Smith, Simon Strantzas, Edo van Belkom, Halli Villegas, Bev Vincent, Robert J. Wiersema, and Rio Youers, with an introduction by Michael Kelly.

Table of Contents:

In Libitina’s House by Camille Alexa

Gingerbread People by Colleen Anderson

Meteor Lake by Kevin Cockle

Homebody by Gemma Files

Snowglobes by Lisa L Hannett

The Hairdress by Sandra Kasturi

The Dog’s Paw by Derek Künsken

The Flowers of Katrina by Claude Lalumière

Goldmine by Daniel LeMoal

The Salamander’s Waltz by Catherine MacLeod

The Slipway Grey by Helen Marshall

Weary, Bone Deep by Michael Matheson

Black Hen A La Ford by David Nickle

Day Pass by Ian Rogers

Fiddleheads by Douglas Smith

Dwelling on the Past by Simon Strantzas

Heart of Darkness by Edo van Belkom

Fishfly Season by Halli Villegas

Road Rage by Bev Vincent

Crossroads Blues by Robert J. Wiersema

Honesty by Rio Youers

About the Editor

Michael Kelly was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. He is the author of two short story collections, Scratching the Surface, and Undertow and Other Laments, as well as co-author of the novel Ouroboros. His fiction has appeared in a number of anthologies and journals, including All Hallows, Be Very Afraid!, Dark Arts, Darkside 5, Flesh & Blood, The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 21, The Literary Journal, Murmurations, PostScripts, Space & Time, Supernatural Tales, and Tesseracts Thirteen.

As editor, Michael is a Shirley Jackson Award finalist for Apparitions. He also edits and publishes the well-received literary journal Shadows & Tall Trees, and has helped judge The Toronto Star Short Story contest.

-30-
  • I received my copy last night and read my story out loud to my wife. She liked it!
  • An online chat event will be held at www.bittenbybooks.com to help celebrate the launch of Chilling Tales 2. The event runs from noon central standard time November 13, 2013 through to noon November 14, 2013. Guests drop in from around the world.
  • edited February 2014
  • Publishers Weekly review:

Taking up where Don Hutchison's Northern Frights left off, 20 Canadian authors—12 men and eight women—offer artfully crafted tales of horror, alienation and death. Found herein are unsavory accounts of dark desires, love and murder entwined, and satanic contracts. As one would expect from horror's glorious history of enthusiastic xenophobia, one that reaches back to Lovecraft and beyond, some of the authors present other cultures in alarming ways calculated to pander to readers' fears, from the hungry revenant unleashed by the outraged Six Nations in "Dwelling on the Past" to a diplomat's embrace of honor killings and public stoning in "The Dog's Paw." Creepy neighbors are used to good effect in "In Libitina's House," while "Day Pass" recalls elements of Alan Moore's classic tale of menacing womanhood "The Curse." While some of the themes in the work may be regrettable, the prose itself is of a solidly consistent level, the work of professionals experienced at their chosen genre. Collectively, the authors prove expert at reinterpreting anxieties old and modern in ways carefully designed to entertain and horrify.