Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Case of the Tell-tale Black Cat of Amontillado

edited September 2011 in Short Stories
As we were driving to the airport for our Paris vacation a week ago Sunday, I received word that my short story "The Case of the Tell-tale Black Cat of Amontillado (with Zombies and an Ourang-Outang)" was accepted for the fundraiser anthology The Spirit of Poe from Literary Landmarks Press.

Here's the impetus behind the anthology:

The Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in Baltimore has lost its $80,000 per year funding from the City of Baltimore. Literary Landmark Press is publishing an anthology called The Spirit of Poe, all proceeds of which will go to the museum. That's everything. All proceeds. Every cent above the costs of printing and paying the contributors.

The book can be preordered here. See also their Facebook page.

Comments

• From one of the editors:

We have received remarkable submissions for the anthology, and we'll have a contributor list by Sunday. I want to highlight one, though.

There’s a little bit of comedy in almost all great horror, but it takes a wonderful writer to satirize Poe while still treating him respectfully. Thankfully, a wonderful writer undertook to do that. Bev Vincent wrote a remarkable and very funny story called The Case of the Tell-tale Black Cat of Amontillado (with Zombies and an Ourang-Outang), and although he offered up “profound apologies to EAP” he needn’t have. The story is wonderful, and we’re lucky to have it. The story has so many references to Poe’s work that we lost count! Look for a contest later on that challenges you to recognize them all. I’ll give you a little taste, though:

“Dupin is my name. You may have heard of me.”

The man didn’t respond. He retreated into the house as if expecting Dupin to follow, so Dupin did. The front room was large and lofty, but even after the man threw open the heavy curtains, light struggled to render distinct the adornments within. Several musty, overstuffed chairs were scattered haphazardly around the perimeter. The bust of a Roman deity, Pallas perhaps, stood on a pedestal next to a desk littered with manuscripts and papers. The room had an overall atmosphere of sorrow and gloom.

Dupin’s host produced a pair of wooden chairs that he placed carefully in the middle of the room, as if by some design. He paid special attention to the location and position of his own chair, and smiled to himself once he was satisfied.

How many so far? No fair counting all three Dupin stories as individual references!

We have other great works here as well, including poetry selected some time ago by the museum for a museum-sponsored time capsule. We have stories from five countries and three continents. We still have some submissions to get to as well.

Help us out, now. We would like thirty more pre-orders to ensure that every expense is covered prior to the book’s release. Pick one up for yourself or for a friend. Thanks again for all of the support.

>>> Pre-order here
  • "The Spirit of Poe" anthology will be released on Mr. Poe's birthday 1/19/2012
  • After some production delays, The Spirit of Poe is now available at Amazon

"From childhood's hour..." that phrase, to Poe fans, finishes itself: "I have not been as others were." Who was that man? Who was that the poet who had not been as others were? So much has been fabricated about Poe's life, and remains a mystery. We have little to go by: no diaries, no notebooks, only a few daguerreotypes, and his letters, so carefully re-edited by Burton Pollin and Jeffrey Savoye. But we do have something else: his home in Baltimore at 203 (3) Amity Street. This collection, introduced by Dr. Barbara Cantalupo, offers a range of stories from dark to light, from playful to pensive, and from hopeful to horrific, a breadth of themes befitting the man best known for his pioneering work to literature in ways unmatched by any since. The Spirit of Poe, edited by WJ Rosser and Karen Rigley, includes two of the Master's works, along with dozens of stories and poems from new and established authors. All profits from its sale will be donated to the Poe House.

• Congrats!
  • Now available for Kindle.
  • A new review:

"...there were at least seven or eight stories that I thought were brilliant. First, I’m a much bigger fan of Poe than I ever was before because of a story by Bev Vincent that wasn’t scary at all. It was a comedy mash-up that pit Poe’s detective Dupin against zombies, orangutans, and Poe himself. So much was happening in the story, that I actually hit google to see what [he] wrote that was a reference to Poe and what was not. It was hilarious, and since it was the first story in the book, it set me up to really want to like everything in The Spirit of Poe."