Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Misery on stage

edited September 2012 in General news
Misery is coming to the stage in Pennsylvania for 11 shows.  From Variety:

'Misery' takes the stage

Play gets short developmental run at Bucks County

By Gordon Cox

Warner Bros. Theater Ventures' stage adaptation of "Misery" is gearing up for its first public showcase, skedding a brief 11-perf run at the Bucks County Playhouse, the newly revitalized regional theater in New Hope, Penn.

William Goldman, screenwriter of the 1990 film based on the 1987 Stephen King novel, pens the legit incarnation, a play to be directed by Will Frears. Warner Bros. Theater Ventures, Castle Rock Entertainment (producer of the film) and Playhouse Prods. present the world preem.

No cast has yet been announced for the run, which kicks off in late November. The Bucks County stint has been tagged a "limited developmental engagement" rather than a pre-Broadway tryout, but a future life for the stage title seems certain should the preem prove a success.

"Misery" reps the latest offering in a spate of new activity for both the theater arm of the WB as well as Bucks County Playhouse.

After several seasons during which little new theatrical product emerged from Warners, the next year sees the Broadway return of 2010 outing "Elf" as well as the West End world preem of a musical adaptation of "Charlie and Chocolate Factory" helmed by Sam Mendes. Mark Kaufman and Raymond Wu took over the bi-coastal operations of Warner Bros. Theater Ventures in the fall of 2011.

Meanwhile, Bucks County has emerged from a period of financial turmoil that shuttered the longstanding regional in late 2010. The reopened venue, under the leadership of producing director Jed Bernstein ("Driving Miss Daisy"), began producing work again this summer with a slate that included "Barefoot in the Park" and the Rodgers and Hammerstein revue "A Grand Night for Singing."

"Misery" centers on an author who is nursed back to health from a car accident by a deranged fan who forces him to bring her favorite character back to life.

Creative team for the stage version includes David Korins (sets), Ann Roth (costumes), David Weiner (lights), Darron West (sound) and Michael Friedman (original music).

"Misery" runs Nov. 24-Dec. 8 at Bucks County.

Comments

• Bruce Willis to make Broadway debut in Misery

Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures have officially announced that Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Bruce Willis will make his Broadway debut, alongside Obie Award winner Elizabeth Marvel in the stage adaptation of Stephen King's thriller Misery. The play is written by Academy Award winner William Goldman, directed by Will Frears, and expected to play a strictly limited engagement on Broadway (at a theatre yet to be named) in Fall 2015.

Producer Mark Kaufman released the following statement:

“Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures has a mission to explore new ways to tell our stories on stage while collaborating with the most creative artists working in theater today. Misery is an outstanding psychological thriller and we have been working closely with William Goldman and Will Frears to develop this play for Broadway. Bruce Willis, who is making his Broadway debut, and Elizabeth Marvel are two great actors who are absolutely perfect to play these characters. I expect this production will be a suspenseful and exciting night of theatre on Broadway.”
  • Wow! Love to see that.
  • Bruce Willis Talks Broadway Debut in MISERY on 'Letterman': 'I'm Scared to Death'

Bruce Willis made his 64th appearance on CBS's LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN last night. During his visit, the actor spoke about making his Broadway debut in an upcoming stage adaptation of Stephen King's MISERY. (although he did share he made a brief appearance in the long-running musical CATS in the role of "Mr. Itchy-Pants"!).

'I'm scared to death," shared Willis of the upcoming project, adding "but yeah, I'm going to be on Broadway!". Willis' appearance begins at the 18 minute mark and his discussion of the Broadway show begins at 21:52.
  • Bruce Willis will have a new "Number One Fan" when he makes his previously reported Broadway debut this fall! Three-time Emmy winner and two-time Tony nominee Laurie Metcalf has been tapped to replace Elizabeth Marvel in the stage adaptation of Stephen King’s Misery. It has also been announced that the production will begin performances on October 22 and officially play a 16-week limited engagement. Opening night is scheduled for November 15 at the Broadhurst Theatre.

>>> Source
  • edited February 2016
    1. Laurie Metcalf kills as Annie Wilkes.
    2. Bruce Willis gives a graduate acting class in how he handles Paul Sheldon's physical business, especially that wheelchair.
    3. The set is very cool...and it revolves!
    4. The hobbling scene is as terrifying as it is in the movie.
    5. The last 15 minutes scared the hell out of me.