Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Complete Concordance: Revised and Updated

edited October 2012 in Dark Tower
Scribner sent me a copy of Robin's updated concordance, which will be published on November 6, 2012. It now includes information pertaining to The Wind Through the Keyhole. It does not include the Marvel graphic novels. For that, you'll have to wait for something else (hint, hint).

First interesting tidbit: the working title of The Wind Through the Keyhole was Black Wind.

Comments

• A note from Robin Furth, author of the revised and updated Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance (out today):

"Although I love all of the Dark Tower novels, The Wind Through the Keyhole has a very special place in my heart. Part quest narrative, part autobiography, and part fairytale, Wind links three eras of Mid-World history and two very different parts of Roland Deschain’s life. Unlike other Dark Tower novels, The Wind Through the Keyhole is composed of three separate narratives. Although in the first tale we meet up with our beloved ka-mates, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy, In Wind, our tet’s search for the Dark Tower is but the frame story for a much more personal tale. Like Wizard and Glass, much of The Wind Through the Keyhole focuses on one of Roland’s youthful adventures. Yet unlike Wizard and Glass, this autobiographical section is actually narrated by Roland. Hence, we gain much deeper insights into Roland’s mind and world.

The Wind Through the Keyhole is a slimmer volume than the previous four Dark Tower novels, but its size belies the huge amount of information it holds. Hence, to add it to the new Concordance was a gargantuan task. In essence I had to treat each of the three tales as a distinct novel, each with its own settings, central characters, and dialects. To make matters more interesting, Wind’s particular approach to storytelling meant that I had a lot of fascinating information to add to existing entries. A good example of this is the Covenant Man, who is the villain of the fairytale “The Wind Through the Keyhole,” and yet is also another incarnation of Roland’s longtime enemy, Marten Broadcloak/Walter O’Dim. Upon first reading, it seems quite plausible that Marten/Walter—who is Roland’s contemporary—could also exist in the fairytale world of once upon a bye. Yet the Covenanter also serves a subtler purpose. By casting a contemporary figure into a story of long-ago, young Roland exposes the treacherous forces that have been undermining the gunslingers, and destabilizing Mid-World, for centuries."