Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER - EVIL GROUND

edited January 2013 in Dark Tower
A two part comic launching in April

ROBIN FURTH and PETER DAVID (W)

RICHARD ISANOVE (A/C)

While traveling through the Desatoya Mountains towards Eluria, Roland comes across a haunted camp. While there, he relives one of his past adventures, in which he and his ka-tet fought Farson's forces, only to be trapped by supernatural enemies. A fascinating prequel to THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA, and also a return to Roland's much-loved early adventures, EVIL GROUND is a must-read for all Dark Tower fans.

40 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC ...$3.99

Comments

• Hey, Bev,

I just read Evil Ground in the Last Shots compilation for the first time and I was wondering if you knew whether this story was inspired by something vague Roland described in one of the books, or was this story completely originated by Robin Furth & Co. In all of the other DT comics, the creative team did a good job of taking small references here and there from one of the books and expanding on them to create a larger story. But with Evil Ground, I didn't really remember anything regarding either issue/chapter. What do you think?
  • Welcome to my MB, Marshall!

According to Robin's essay in the back of the individual issue, her primary inspiration was the story structure of Wind Through the Keyhole -- the stories within stories form.

She mentioned over the years that she has collected many tales about Roland's early days, but she doesn't specify where this one came from. It may be based on something that King recounted (for example, at their pitch meeting for Marvel) or it may be one she came up with on her own. She describes how she decided to set it near the Desatoya Mountains, because of the importance of setting, so she had quite a bit of latitude in creating this tale.
  • Thanks, Bev! Sorry for the late response.

One more thing: do you really think this is the end of Marvel doing DT comics, or do you think they're just taking an extended hiatus? Maybe sales were declining... In one sense, I'm sort of glad they ended the series with DT1: Gunslinger. I was more interested in reading about the hinted-at back stories and side adventures and wouldn't really want to see a re-telling of DT2-7 in comic form.

However, on the other hand, I was also kind of hoping that TWTTK might get adapted in some fashion (wrap-around story and Skin-Man, maybe), since it falls in line with adapting Roland's earlier, coming-of-age stories.

Any insight into their future plans?

Thanks again!
  • To the best of my knowledge, there are no concrete plans to do more. I think that if you don't stop at he end of The Gunslinger, you more or less commit yourself to do the whole thing, and that's a serious commitment. Isanove, the only artist who was with the whole project, has moved on to other things. I'd be surprised to see more.