Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Why I died in Bed of Nails by Michael Slade!

edited March 2013 in Free for all
How I ended up being killed and mutilated in Bed of Nails -- a tale recounted in tweets by Special X series author Michael Slade:

In 2001, an invitation to be guest of honor at the World Horror Convention drew me to my 1st genre gathering. One look at the Con and I thought, "What better place to turn cannibal killers loose than the World Horror Convention? Now all I need is a victim." A writer can bestow no greater thanks on a reader than killing him off in a plot. Lovecraft offed Bloch in "Haunter of the Dark."

The Dead Dog Party is the final blow-out at a World Horror Convention. All the leftover booze and food is gathered in a room so the hangers-on can have a last gab-fest before their flights home are called. That's how I found myself sitting beside arguably "the smartest man in the room." Not for nothing is @BevVincent (PhD crystallography) top chronicler of all things Stephen King but he writes fine fiction too.

As GoH, a writer hears nice things. But when Bev said to me, "What I like about Special X is..." He went on to analyze "Mountie Noir" with more insight than I had read in any review, including subconscious stuff that I didn't realize myself (but have since gone on to take full credit for building in from the start <g>). I had found my victim! So what would be an outrageous way to kill Bev Vincent? The 13 Steps to Hell? Ted Bundy's House? Why not both?

http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/e-books-bed-of-nails.html

Comments

• Wickedly sweet story.
  • The funny follow-up to it is that he couldn't decide where to kill me in the book, so he wrote several murder passages. His daughter, who is his co-author and editor, read the first draft and saw so much mayhem committed against me. "But I thought you LIKED Bev," she said.