Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Hannibal TV Series

edited April 2013 in Free for all
I'm definitely intrigued with Hannibal after watching the premiere.  Out of the three serial killer shows - Bates Motel, The Following, and Hannibal - I had Hannibal pegged as the poorest of the lot.  So this turned out to be a pleasant surprise.  Byran Fuller has done a great job building off of the source material and David Slade turns in another superior directing effort.  Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy do great turns as Hannibal and Graham.  The two are hypnotic to watch.  The fact the show is using the cable model of 13 episodes bodes well. 

You have to wonder how long they can sustain Graham's stamina in maintaining stability in parallel with Hannibal going undetected.  I would be happy with 1 or 2 seasons of this.  Any longer and it will inevitably decline.

Where the show bests the other two is showing the price that violence costs.   

Comments

• I watched it yesterday and was suitably impressed. I almost didn't put it on the DVR, but I decided to since I was going to be out of town and now I'm glad.

I agree that it has a finite lifespan -- any prequel must eventually catch up with the original.

I did have issues understanding Hannibal at times. Close-captioning helps.
  • Yes that's been a common complaint. Hopefully the show takes note of that and beefs up the dialogue audio for Mikkelsen.
  • Since episode 4 has been pulled because of content, NBC has cannibalized it into a web series. You can watch all six parts here, which probably amounts to about half of the episode.

http://dailydead.com/watch-all-of-the-hannibal-episode-4-webseries/
  • Only in the US. >:(
  • The subtextual handling of Bella Crawford's - so nice to see Gina Torres again -  cancer and Graham's  realization of it during the questioning of a suspect was wonderfully played. Both actors gave very controlled but amazingly poignant portrayals.  Highlight of the episode.

And a wonderful example that what is NOT being said or is only being intimated, can be just as powerful, if not more so, that what is being shown or told.