Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Lisey's Story: Adaptation

edited April 2019 in Adaptations
Josh Boone To Bring Stephen King’s ‘Lisey’s Story’ To Big Screen

You would never think that Josh Boone has made only one film, the guy is already in high demand! Not only is currently filming the highly anticipated adaptation of John Green’s THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, he announced today that his next project will be an adaptation of Stephen King’s LISEY’S STORY.

Not only did King appear in Boone’s directorial debut STUCK IN LOVE, but Boone also revealed a very interesting backstory to how he become known to the writer:

“I wasn’t allowed to read Stephen King. I had to rip the covers off of Christian books and glue them to Stephen King books, so that I could read them. I remember reading The Stand under my bed when I was 12, and I hid the book in the box springs under my bed, and my mom found it and burned it in the fireplace. I wrote him a letter when I was 12, just to tell him how much I loved his books and how much I wanted to be a writer when I grew up and that he was my idol. I sent him a couple books, hoping that he’d sign them. I came home from school one day and my dad said, “There’s a box here from Stephen King.” He had written me this beautiful letter in the front covers of each of the books. My parents were just so moved by the generosity, that he was willing to take the time to do that, that they lifted the Stephen King ban. “

Josh Boone will start adapting the project after filming finishes for THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Wyck Godfrey, Marty Bowen, and Isaac Klausner, who are producers for TFIOS, will also be producing LISEY’S STORY.

Comments

• Julianne Moore to Star in Apple Drama ‘Lisey’s Story’ From Stephen King, J.J. Abrams

Apple continues to ramp up its roster of high-profile originals with another star-studded drama.

Following a multiple outlet bidding war, the tech giant has handed out an eight-episode, straight-to-series order for an adaptation of Stephen King's 2006 horror-romance best-seller Lisey's Story. Oscar winner Julianne Moore will star in the series, with King — in a rare move — writing all eight episodes of the drama, which is being produced by J.J. Abrams and his Warner Bros. TV-based Bad Robot Productions.

Moore, King, Abrams and Bad Robot topper Ben Stephenson will all executive produce the series, which is described as a deeply personal thriller that follows Lisey (Moore) two years following the death of her husband. The story explores a series of events that causes her to begin facing amazing realities about her husband that she had repressed and forgotten. Sources say producers are now on the hunt for high-profile directors for the series.

This is the third series for Abrams' Bad Robot at Apple and joins Sara Bareilles' Little Voice and the Jennifer Garner vehicle My Glory Was I Had Such Friends. The latter marks a reunion for Garner with Alias creator Abrams. Both series hail from Warner Bros. TV, where Abrams' Bad Robot is under an overall deal. With that pact set to expire, Bad Robot has been meeting with potential suitors — including Warners and, some say, Apple — for what sources say could be an overall deal worth as much as $500 million. Abrams is repped by CAA and Jackoway Austen.

All told, Lisey's Story is the latest collaboration for Abrams and King, who previously teamed on the Hulu limited series 11.22.63 and the anthology Castle Rock. It joins a growing roster of King-produced TV series including Audience Network's Mr. Mercedes and an episode of Shudder's Creepshow. King's previous small-screen efforts have also included The Mist, Under the Dome and more. The series pickup arrives after King's feature take on Pet Sematary overperformed at the box office over the weekend with a strong $25 million in North America and a $42.5 million worldwide haul. King is repped by Paradigm and Gang Tyre.

For her part, Moore's TV credits include the HBO movie Game Change, for which she won an Emmy for her take on Sarah Palin. This would be the actress' first series-regular role since her Daytime Emmy-winning part on the soap As the World Turns. Moore, who has been nominated for three best actress and two supporting actress Oscars (winning in 2015 for lead actress in Still Alice), is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Edelstein Laird.
  • “Jackie” director Pablo Larrain is lined up to direct miniseries “Lisey’s Story,” with Julianne Moore set to star.

Stephen King wrote all eight episodes himself, adapting his 2006 horror-romance novel for the forthcoming Apple TV+ streaming service. The story, which King has called a personal favorite among his books, follows a widow two years after her husband’s passing, who gradually begins to uncover startling truths about her husband.

Powerhouse producer J.J. Abrams – who previously teamed with King on Hulu series “11.22.63” and “Castle Rock” – will executive-produce (through his Bad Robot Productions company), as will King and Moore.

Moore confirmed Larrain’s involvement to the Globe during an interview for her upcoming drama “After the Wedding.”

“I actually wrote [King] a fan letter after I read ‘The Stand,’ while I was a student in Boston,” said Moore, who went to Boston University. “He is unparalleled at combining the drama of everyday life with the supernatural, at the idea that there’s this membrane between [them].”

Moore added that she’s “thrilled to be working with [the author] and Pablo Larrain, who’s a magnificent Chilean director,” further confirming that shooting is expected to kick off this fall.

Natalie Portman earned an Oscar nod for playing former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy in “Jackie,” Larrain’s 2016 English-language debut. “Lisey’s Story” is to be the director’s first TV project.

Representatives for Larrain and Bad Robot did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

>>> Source

• Clive Owen has signed on to play Scott Landon.
  • I see Clive Owen has been attached to play Scott Langdon. Good pick and it reunites him with Julianne Moore.  Always thought Owen would be a bigger household name.
  • er that should be Landon.
  • SOMERSET, NJ - A film crew will be on location at the historic Van Liew-Suydam house to shoot scenes for Stephen King's made for Apple TV mini-series Lisey's Story, according to Township Manager Robert Vornlocker.

The series is based on King's 2006 novel of the same name, will be produced by J.J. Abrams, according to IMDB. Josh Boone will direct and Julian Moore will star in the leading role as Lisey. 

"Apparently, the book is Stephen King's favorite book of his own," Vornlocker said. "It should be a good story, kind of neat thing for Franklin Township. We will see where this all takes us, maybe we will become the new East Coast Hollywood right here in Franklin Township." 

The shooting will take place Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and the crew will be staged out of Middlebush Park, according to Vornlocker. 

The historic Van Liew-Suydam house is located off South Middlebush Road where the road intersects with Blackwells Mills Road. According to court documents, the property was sold to Franklin Township in 1988, and leased to the Meadows Foundation. 

Traffic delays should be expected in the area during filming. 

>>> Source

• DeHaan will portray Jim Dooley, an obsessed fan of Scott’s (played by Clive Owen) books that wants to see his unpublished work release publicly.

• Sung Kang, best known for portraying Han in four "Fast & Furious" films, will play Officer Dan Beckman, a police officer assigned to watch Lisey’s house.

• Julianne Moore and Clive Owen are the stars of a small screen adaptation of Stephen King‘s Lisey’s Story that’s coming to Apple TV+, with Moore playing the title character and Owen co-starring as her late husband. Today brings a first-look image, found above.

“Lisey’s Story” is coming to Apple TV+ this summer.

>>> Source

FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesyGNTLGNTKurben
  • I hope it turns out great.  Personally not interested in this in the slightest .  One of my least favorite King’s. 

The made up language put me off — very reminiscent of another author’s classic work  i initially had problems with. 
    But it still has moments of stephen king brilliance.  
    KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • I hope it turns out great.  Personally not interested in this in the slightest .  One of my least favorite King’s. 

The made up language put me off — very reminiscent of another author’s classic work  i initially had problems with. 
    ...it took me several readings to finally appreciate the story.....it can be a slog though.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • edited March 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    I hope it turns out great.  Personally not interested in this in the slightest .  One of my least favorite King’s. 

...it took me several readings to finally appreciate the story.....it can be a slog though.....
    And again, it might have been where I was in my life that affected my feelings.

As I've always said, the reader brings everything about themselves to a story, whether the author likes it or not.  

I may need to revisit this one, but not anytime soon.  I have too many things to read that are new.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT

GNTLGNT said:
    I hope it turns out great.  Personally not interested in this in the slightest .  One of my least favorite King’s. 

And again, it might have been where I was in my life that affected my feelings.

As I've always said, the reader brings everything about themselves to a story, whether the author likes it or not.  

I may need to revisit this one, but not anytime soon.  I have too many things to read that are new.
    I really wanted to love this one, but just couldn't connect with it. I feel the same way about time and place in life. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story make perfect bookends, in my opinion. The former is about the author who lost his wife and the latter is about the author's wife who lost her husband. They make great companion pieces.
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story make perfect bookends, in my opinion. The former is about the author who lost his wife and the latter is about the author's wife who lost her husband. They make great companion pieces.
    .....now why in tarnation didn't I see that???......big dummy me.......
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • I did see that and it doesn’t help. Bag of Bones is also not one of my favorites, but much better than Lisey’s. 

But that’s not saying the writing wasn’t brilliant.  Some people can’t separate writing from story. 

While they are two things that we want to happen in the same book, it doesn’t always work out that way.  

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • ....I know it's been said to death, but they are his two most "literary" novels, whatever the hell that implies....which he handles well, but doesn't always strike everyone's mind's eye quite right.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
    Yep totally agree. Perfect bookends.

Could there be a sequel with Lisey and Mike?   :D  
    FlakeNoirNotaroBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • "Lisey's Story" will premiere on Apple TV+ beginning June 4.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ....well written piece and Steve's thoughts on Tabby did my hard little heart good....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy