Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Week 4

Author: Bev Vincent

Man, what an intensive weekend!

I didn't get where I wanted to be by the end of the three days, but I got a lot done. I fully hoped to be finished by now, but I still have that pesky Conclusion section to write. I think part of me is dragging its heels so that I'm not really finished.

What I did accomplish, though, was to put in the full set of changes, insertions and deletions that I made on the manuscript during last week's computer-off editing session. I also reorganized the manuscript, pushing three chapters that had been 2-4 back to 10-12, split the glossary off into its own appendix, reordered the entries in the “other works” chapter and did a more in-depth treatment of two “other works” that I originally planned to marginalize. I also did global searches on certain phrases to make sure they were used and formatted consistently throughout the manuscript.

The end is still near. By the end of the coming weekend I plan to be done. Print it out, set it aside for about 10 days, then read it through one more time and make changes, then send it out to my editor.

Speaking of my editor, he got approval from King to read the last three books and I've been given the task of sending them to him. This will help him out immensely in working on my book as he'll know exactly what I'm writing about and it should all be fresh in his mind when my 400-page manuscript comes bouncing in at the end of the month. It will look trivial next to the 2530 page stack of pages he'll be tackling before then!

Author: Brautigan

Originally posted by Bev Vincent

Speaking of my editor, he got approval from King to read the last three books and I've been given the task of sending them to him.

Man Bev, good for you and your editor, but that is painful to hear for us impatient DT fans. Don't suppose I can just drop SK a line and he'll send me the proofs?!? :p

Proofs? We're talking computer printouts here! It's a giganormous stack of pages that I had to photocopy and ship. I've only sent him DT5 so far (1000 pages) because I'm waiting for the revised manuscript of DT6 [~ 500 pages] before I send that on.

Author: Brautigan

Thanks for sharing all these details. It's cool to hear about the behind the scenes stuff, even if it's tedious, drudge work for you. Sounds like you need a personal assistant! WILL WORK FOR READING RIGHTS!!

Author: DTUK

Will proof read the last 3 DT books and won't even take payment :D

Heh -- thanks for volunteering guys! Alas, time and tide waits for no person. If you'd just spoken up a little bit earlier...

I don't know that I would consider any of my workd tedious drudge work. I know I hear authors saying that they grow to hate their books by the time they turn them in, and I can see how that could happen, but I haven't quite reached that point yet. Maybe when I read it two or three more times!

I haven't done any work on the book for the last day or so. I'm waiting to read the ARC of Wolves of the Calla so I can verify my quotes and I have a revised copy of Song of Susannah on the way so when I submit my manuscript it will be up to date with the exception of The Dark Tower, which still has revisions pending.

So I decided to get a head start on my next Cemetery Dance column, which is due in about a month. This is going to be a good one as I'll be writing about lots of Dark Tower stuff, the Salem's Lot miniseries, the recently discovered High School short stories and a lot about the Kingdom Hospital miniseries. I've watched the complete Danish series, Riget (both parts), on which it is based and I've read King's scripts for the first four episodes. I'm really looking forward to this -- it has the possibility of being the best thing he's ever done for television.

Author: CRinVA

Bev, I can't wait till Kingdom Hospital airs - just what I need is a weekly dos of SK!

Comments

• Author: Bev Vincent

If you get a chance, check out the original. You can get Part I from Amazon, Danish with English subtitles. The second series is a lot harder to come by. What's interesting is that King is strongly influenced by this series -- the characters are mostly parallel, but he also adds a huge amount of his own experience and spin to it. They describe both as “ER on acid” but I think it owes a lot to Twin Peaks, too.

Author: CRinVA

OK Bev,

Now I am intrigued even more. I loved Twin Peaks! And one more quirky show that was great was Northern Exposure!

The first Danish series resolves some issues but ends with some cliffhangers. The second series, which is really hard to find on DVD for North America (I got mine on eBay, a Chinese version from Hong Kong), ends with major, major cliffhangers that will never be resolved. Some of the main actors died so there won't ever be a Riget III. It was like having Twin Peaks end without knowing who killed Laura Palmer.

I had an e-mail message today from the man who has been translating King's works into Italian for the past twenty years. There's a section in Wolves of the Calla he was having a hard time with as the language is rather obscure and he asked for my help in translating it by having me rephrase it to assist his understanding.

I'm not sure if he's the same person who will be translating my book in due course -- he didn't say which publisher he works for. It could turn out, though, that he ends up working on my book. That would be pretty cool. :)

Author: Michael

Did he ask about “saucy susan”?

LOL Michael! When I saw your post yesterday, I didn't answer, but that wasn't what he asked me. I logged in this morning, though, to find just that very question! Are you psychic, or what? ~0

Author: Tayro

I just have to say Bev, that I am really looking forward to the release of your book!

Thanks! Me, too! November '04 seems so far away.

Author: Tayro

Of that I have NO doubt!