Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Finding Your Roots

edited January 2014 in General news
Stephen King has been interviewed for the PBS series Finding Your Roots, where "we trace people’s habitypes, which tell where your ancestors came from." The host is Dr. Henry Louis Gates, who can be seen here with King after their interview, which will air later this year.

>>> Source

Comments

• Cool. Thanks for the heads up!
  • In this promo, King is shown a photo of his father.
  • And in this one, he learns more about his distant ancestors.
  • Very cool reveal about his ancestors.  Unfortunately the clip with his father is restricted to US viewers only.

• Apparently there are plugins for Firefox that let you choose what country you appear to be coming from. I know folks who have used it to watch BBC content.
  • I'll have to check if there is something similar for Chrome.  I know of ways to change your country location via software that changes your IP address.
  • There are several for Chrome, too. Search on proxy.
  • I installed Hola Better Internet for Chrome, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
  • edited September 2014
    Watched this.  Was stunned how much King's father looks like Joe Hill!

Amazing that Pollock changed his last name to King.  Could the story of this name change came to be, end up being in a new Dark Tower book?  :))
  • edited September 2014
    I have a theory about that. When they showed the census entry for Donald Pollack, I noticed that the names of the head of household and his wife were shown as Szczepanski. King's grandfather William Pollack died when he was 23 and Donald was around six. His grandmother, Helen, remarried a couple of years later to Victor Szczepanski. 

George Beahm long ago claimed that King's father's original name was Spansky. I can see Szczepanski getting changed to Spansky. Maybe if King's grandfather simplified his name, then King's father decided that if his stepfather could change his name then he could, too. Pollack, after all, is pretty close in sound to the pejorative word for a Polish person and he might have taken some heat for it.

Disclaimer: Wild speculation on my part.

• Quite plausible.

But I prefer a version where Roland visits Donald and 'instructs' him to change his last name because of Ka and his son's eventual rise as the wordslinger. ;)