Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Dark Tower: The Prisoner September 2014

edited April 2014 in Dark Tower
The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three': Exclusive artwork from Marvel's new Stephen King adaptation, 'The Prisoner'

imageThis September, Marvel will release the first issue of a new series that will delve into a new corner of King’s Dark Tower saga.

The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three–The Prisoner is a five-issue miniseries focusing on Eddie Dean, a character first introduced in King’s second Dark Tower book. And as drawn by artist Piotr Kowalski (Marvel Knights: Hulk), it’s also a departure from the post-apocalyptic Western setting of the previous comic books.

We’ll have more information to share with you about The Prisoner on Sunday — and Marvel will be discussing their future plans for the series this weekend at C2E2 — but for now, EW is excited to share the cover and the first seven pages of inked artwork from The Prisoner. Click on each picture for a larger image — and some eagle-eyed Dark Tower fans might find some embedded references to King’s work.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    'The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three': Marvel creators reveal secrets from the new Stephen King adaptation

The Prisoner, a five-part series focusing on the life of Eddie Dean. The series promises to track Eddie from his life in Brooklyn in the mid-60s, ultimately leading to his meeting with Roland the Gunslinger.

A new kind of Dark Tower called for a new artist, with Piotr Kowalski bringing the series into a gritty, urban setting. But it also called for a new kind of storytelling. “When I crafted the dialogue for the first series, there was an internal narrator,” says David. “A narrative voice that I always envisioned was an old man sitting at a campfire along the trail. He’s Walter Huston, Walter Brennan. Everyone’s sitting around the campfire, and this guy is telling you the story of Roland Deschain.” The Prisoner‘s narration shifts to a more grounded perspective, with the point of view coming straight from Eddie. “When he first starts, Eddie’s drug-addled, to put it mildly,” says David. “He’s the definition of an unreliable narrator.”

Readers of the Dark Tower series know that The Drawing of the Three is, in some respects, a book about getting the band together. Eddie is one of the titular “three,” and although The Prisoner is very much Eddie’s story, it’s not the only story. In describing the process of adaptation, Rosemann offers up a comparison to Marvel’s biggest super team. “In the Avengers comic book, you see the story from the point of view of the whole group. What if we chop it up and we see what was Thor doing before the Avengers? What was Captain America doing?”

Future Dark Tower miniseries are planned, focusing on the later chapters of The Drawing of the Three. (Teasing the arrival of a fan-favorite character, David exclaims: “Detta’s probably one of my favorite characters of the whole thing!”) And after The Drawing of the Three, there are still five more mainline Dark Tower books by Stephen King, not counting the myriad of tangentially connected literature. It took King over thirty years to craft the whole Dark Tower epic. Will the Dark Tower comics ultimately tell the whole tale? In response, David deadpans: “I’m hoping that we’ll be able to get it in under three decades.”
  • The press release:

New York, NY—May 13th, 2014—Marvel, in collaboration with Stephen King, is proud to announce the new chapter in the Dark Tower series – DARK TOWER: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER. Beginning in September 2014, New York Times Best-Selling writers Peter David & Robin Furth along with critically acclaimed artist Piotr Kowalski bring the action from Mid-World to our world as the epic series returns!

THE DARK TOWER: DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER marks another milestone for the graphic fiction sensation that’s captivated fans worldwide as the saga moves to the second volume of King’s magnum opus. And as the action shifts from the dusty plains of Mid-World to the mean streets of New York City – old and new fans alike will experience the rich and vibrant world of The Dark Tower in new and interesting ways.

As this tale of urban crime opens, you’ll meet Eddie Dean as an innocent child who grows into a troubled young man gifted with the ability to open doors to other worlds. Can he survive family tragedy, a haunting addiction, and the deadly forces that conspire to stop him from challenging the Man in Black? Eddie faces trials and tribulations at every turn – and the badlands of Mid-World can’t hold a candle to the dangers of Brooklyn in the 1960s! Witness the story of a young man on the path to an unlikely destiny and the most important journey of his life.

“To borrow some successful branding, this is the ‘All-New Marvel NOW’ version of The Dark Tower. As we now travel from The Gunslinger to The Drawing of The Three, we are refocusing our spotlight to explore the histories and events that led to the formation of the Ka-Tet that aided the gunslinger Roland Deschain on his quest to defeat the Man in Black and the Crimson King,” said editor Bill Rosemann. “But instead of encountering Eddie Dean later in his life, as you do in the novel, we zoom back to 1964 and meet him as a toddler, so while we are adapting the second novel, we’re weaving together events in a new way that will hopefully surprise and entertain everyone who has already read the book. We’re ‘assembling the Avengers’ of the Dark Tower universe, but Robin Furth, Peter David, and Piotr Kowalski are doing so in a way that you’ve never imagined.

A bold new chapter begins as the landmark series makes its historic return to comic shops this September in Stephen King’s THE DARK TOWER: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER #1

http://www.comicosity.com/marvel-announces-dark-tower-the-drawing-of-the-three-the-prisoner/

• 5 Questions With Peter David + A Preview Of The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three – The Prisoner Issue 2

Andy Burns: As a big Dark Tower fan, seeing a whole new side of Eddie Dean was a real gift, so thank you for that. Could you talk a little about how this particular series came into being?

Peter David: I’m reasonably sure it came into being because of me. I was in Jacksonville, Florida, a year and a half ago, recovering from a stroke, and Steve was kind enough to come visit me. He drove five hours to come up and spend an hour and a half at the facility with me. And while he was there, I told him–quite honestly–that fans kept asking when we were going to stop adapting book two. That they were anxious to see Eddie Dean and the others and continue Roland’s adventures. And Steve said, “Really?” And I said “Yeah.” And Steve said, “We should do that, then.” A month later I got a call from my former editor Bill Rosemann and he said, “Guess what? We’re back!” So thank God I had a stroke!

Andy Burns: One aspect of the first issue I really enjoyed was that a newcomer could pick up the issue and be immediately engaged, while Dark Tower devotees get to see familiar places or concepts. How different is the approach to this series from previous Dark Tower comics?

Peter David: We have a different POV narrator. Eddie Dean himself is our first person speaker, which only made sense to me. I figured it was absurd to have the MidWorld narrator when we’re on our own world, but a first person narrator had become SOP, so I turned the job over to Eddie. It’s his story, after all.

Andy Burns: Could you give us some details on the method of co-writing you and Robin Furth utilize – what’s collaboration and what’s solo?

Peter David: Robin plots the story out and circulates it to everyone who comments on it. Then I get the art pages and write the script.

Andy Burns: Since you’re giving a more thorough backstory to Eddie Dean than there is in the novels (at least in terms of travelling to his youth), how closely involved is Stephen King when determining Eddie’s history? Did he share ideas with you and Robin, veto anything, etc?

Peter David: Well, if it weren’t for Stephen, we wouldn’t be doing this, so I’d say he’s pretty involved. On an issue by issue basis I would suspect he’s more involved with Robin than me.

Andy Burns: As we know with the Dark Tower, there are other worlds than these – and more characters as well. Who are you looking forward to writing as this journey continues?

Peter David: I’m just happy to have the work.
  • The conclusion will be released on December 24.