Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Phase Shift (The X-Files)

edited February 2015 in Short Stories
I just turned in a 5600 word short story called "Phase Shift" to Jonathan Maberry for his series of X-files anthologies from IDW. Though he invited most of his authors to contribute, a couple of slots came open and he solicited pitches for stories. I'd had to pitch for the Doctor Who story, so I had an idea of how to do that, and a story idea came to me fairly quickly so I pitched and got a strike. My story is tentatively scheduled for the second anthology. The first one, X-Files: Trust No One, featuring stories from Brian Keene and Tim Lebbon among others, will be out early next year.

Comments

• Awesome!  Best wishes with the anthology and your story.
  • The announcement that the series is getting a six-episode reboot couldn't come at a better time ofr this series of anthologies.
  • Confirmed lineup for X-Files: The Truth is Out There (volume 2 of Jonathan Maberry's new series of all-original #XFiles stories). Look for this in February. Bev Vincent, David Liss, David Dave Sakmyster, David Farland (aka David Wolverton), Glenn Greenberg, Greg Cox, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Hank Schwaeble, Jon McGoran, Kami Marin Garcia, Kelley Armstrong, Kendare Blake, Rachel Caine, Sarah Stegall, and Tim Waggoner.
  • Apparently the people at FOX loved my story and did not request any changes. Coolio!
  • X-Files: The Truth Is Out There (Paperback – February 18, 2016) is now available for pre-order.

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are back in a chilling collection of all-new tales of dark secrets, alien agendas, terrifying monsters and murderous madmen. Featuring original stories by bestselling authors Rachel Caine, Hank Philippi Ryan, Kelley Armstrong, Kami Garcia, Greg Cox and many others. Edited by New York Times bestseller Jonathan Maberry (V-WARS).
  • I just found out that Dean Haglund (Lone Gunman Langley) wrote the foreword!
  • A new review of the audio version:

Bev Vincent’s “Phase Shift,” was easily the highlight of the anthology for me, and centers around a house and its inhabitants confronted by a strange anomaly. This is a really good story with a strong, and strongly executed, premise, the ending of which highlights the particular darkness one may confront in such an odd situation. Sorry for being vague, but this is a good one to go into blindly.

>>> Source
  • edited October 2016
    Lovely review. Just checked and my library has this on audiobook! Excellent!
  • Jonathan Maberry reports: "I'm delighted to announce that the audiobook of THE X-FILES: THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE has won the VoiceArts Award of best narration of an anthology. Congrats to audiobook readers Hilary Huber and Bronson Pinchot for their extraordinary performances. And thanks to each of you for crafting such powerful and entertaining stories."
  • A nice review that calls out a few stories, including mine: Phase Shift by Bev Vincent involved a family stuck inside their home due to a force field trapping them inside. This one was fun yet twisted.
  • edited February 2018
    Here's a review of a translation of the anthology -- with a nice shout-out to my story. Translation of review:

6 - "Change of Phase" by Bev Vincent:

For starters I have to punctuate the publisher's error in the Summary, because the author's last name appears as "Vincen" instead of "Vincent" and this is a very bad thing. Not that the whole book has no mistakes, there are some translation, some concordance and even typing, but I consider erring the name of the person who wrote an absurd without size.

In the plot, which begins as something very familiar and ordinary, the terror, the suspense and the mystery were very well worked. It was one of the stories that made me curious, one of the ones I took to read and I could not take my eyes off the paper before I finished reading. In fact, the ending gives even that creepy nausea that good writers of psychological horror, like Stephen King, can do to us.

A family is at your house at night. While the teenager is on a call with her friends, the parents share a wine and talk. It's already night and the light is missing. As they are about to sleep, parents take advantage of the lack of light for a candlelit dinner and enjoy some romanticism. Even though the couple's daughter is very angry about losing their call. But, calm, this apparent peace may not be natural, since after a strong flash outside, no one can leave the house.

Mulder and Scully ended up bumping into the case, but the situation could not be the strangest, since none of the neighbors seems to have realized that they do not see the family at times or even think about it, even with the scrub of the house growing and the doors and windows inaccessible. I also consider one of the short stories that would be very good if you won a chapter in the series, because you marry very well with the series proposal.