Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Links from non-DT books in DT VII (NO SPOILERS)

edited July 2004 in Dark Tower
Someone made a comment in another thread about "The Dark Tower VII" being 2000 pages long if King tries to tie up every possible connection from his other books. That's got me thinking - which links are ones that we, as fans, REALLY want to see mentioned/dealt with in the last book, and which are ones that we can simply accept as they stand?

The ones I would like to see AT LEAST mentioned are:

-- the boys from "Eyes of the Dragon"

-- Brautigan from "Hearts In Atlantis"

-- Jack Sawyer from "Talisman" and "Black House"

The ones I can live with as is:

-- the boy (Patrick?) from "Insomnia"

-- the car from "From A Buick 8"

-- the painting/events of "Rose Madder"

What about you?

Blu

Comments

• I would only change one thing and add one as follwos:

• Add Dinky Earnshaw (my memory is fading)
    • Move patrick Danville to the need to see resolved seection
  • Blu - I'd agree with the three you mentioned and the one Bob mentioned in the "Needs to be resolved" category...and would also add:

• Charlene McGee - Firestarter
    • Derry/IT and its connection to the Dark Tower
  • I agree with Firestarter and IT. In fact I just said the same thing over at The Green Mile.
  • Great minds think alike, matey ;)
  • ;) So they do Dukky, so they do!! :D
  • Okay, definitely add Derry/"It" to my "want to see" list - with all of the talk of the Turtle, I can't believe I left that one out...

Was there a connection from "Firestarter"? Keep in mind, it's been years since I read that...also keep in mind that it is one of my least favorite King books.

Blu
  • Blu, :), I would keep your list (who doesn't want to hear about Jack Sawyer again!! :)), but for me, I would move Patrick Danville (Insomnia) and Rose Madder to at least mentioned.. Insomnia had enough DT tie-ins that it's well-deserved and Rose Madder, although it's not one of my favourites, really piqued my curiousity as far as possible tie-ins go.

There is also a small matter from the Wastelands (involving Talitha Unwin) that I want to see if it is brought to a resolution, or whether it was more anecdotal.

Firestarter is not one of my favourites either, never has been. :)

Lin
  • One thing from the DT books themselves I'd like to see come back - Rhea. I want to see that witch get hers.

Blu
  • ;Dover and over and over too! Cause Hell is Repetition!
  • ******Maybe Spoilers******

Jack Sawyer is a must... At the End of Black House is said that he has a fight ahead of him, but that he needs his rest first. Right?

Patrick Danville because the book says that he will save one of the two men in the Dark Tower picture.

Ted Brautigan because of his references in Black House, and of course Hearts in Atlantis.

I never read From a Buick 8. What was the signifigance of the car?

• It's been a while since I've read "Insomnia," so forgive if this is a silly question - is it specific that Patrick Danville will save two of the ka-tet, or just two people who are important to the Tower?

As for the car in "From A Buick 8:"

*SPOILERS BELOW*

It was apparently driven by some of the Low Men, and based on what came out of the car at times, it may have been a thinny or doorway to another world.

Blu
  • is it specific that Patrick Danville will save two of the ka-tet, or just two people who are important to the Tower?

The second choice, Blu. :)

Lin
  • That's what I was thinking. That's why I wouldn't be too upset if this doesn't make it into DTVII - it could be enough to know that, two people needed saving, and Patrick lived so that he could do just that.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what happened, either.... ;)

Blu
  • On the other hand, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what happened, either....

I'm always of that mind when there is an outstanding question.

I'm going to add another one to your list....

Tyler from Black House; I'd like to see what his importance is in the wrap-up....
  • BluGilliand wrote:

Was there a connection from "Firestarter"? Keep in mind, it's been years since I read that...also keep in mind that it is one of my least favorite King books.

Blu

There was a reference in the Stephen King Universe about the Shop being a part of the "Random" rather than the "Purpose" in it's dealings within the world of scientific intelligence, and what we have learned through subsequent books, the Crimson King wanted "breakers" (i.e. psi ability people) - but that wasn't why I wanted to see Charlie again, I just wanted to see that she was okay after losing her parents in Firestarter - a very emotional novel for me.
  • Thanks for the clarification, DTUK. I need to reread "Firestarter" soon...give it another chance.

Blu
  • Jack and Ted are at the top of my list too! As for others I guess it would be nice to find out what happened to Charlie and Danny from Firestarter and the Shining.

I always imagine those two hooking up and having kids!
  • Carrie WHITE
  • hey Bev! You've just been given an amazing idea for a book! i for one would be interested in purchasing said book.

Seriously, Danny and Charlie????

CREEEPIEST KID EVER

• Hello everyone, this is my first time on this site/first post:

I think Patrick Danville needed more time to develop.He was saved twice by Ralph and Lois in 'Insomnia',obliviously he has greater things in store for him,(not just losing his teeth either).One of the little bald docs(I can't remember which)said that he needs to save two important people and that he dies rather young himself.

When we meet Patrick for the second time,there's no back story,just toothless Patrick that knows how to draw.And then Roland sends him on his merry way,and thats it! ??? Also there needs to be some closer for the CRIMSON KING/IT; now I don't know if other people will agree or not but I think they are in the same family if not the same enitity.In DT 7 King calls ths CRIMSON KING" the crazy old SPIDER KING",now we all know in the end of 'IT', this evil eternal force takes the shape of a SPIDER.Also in 'Insomina'the CRIMSON KING talks to Ralph about "his hard work in Derry', and "his deadlights". You be the judge. -CRIMSON QUEEN
  • Hi, CQ - welcome to the board :)

As discussed earlier, I came upon the idea that the two people that Patrick Danville had to save were in fact himself and Roland when faced off with CK - this is a hypothesis some of us follow.

It could be that Patrick, even though his future death might be marked out for some later date, he has slipped into the ether where so many of King's characters go...like King said about The Stand once, he recieves letters from people asking how Stu and Fran are doing, et all, and he said it's like people expect me to be in touch with them all the time (or words to that effect) - it could be that Patrick's tale is over now and he goes wherever King's characters go when there is no more to be said about them.

I often thought CK/IT were one and the same...and if King writes again (or publishes) - I wouldn't mind returning to Derry at some point - it's like it has an open ending via IT and Insomnia, and that things might not be finished there.

And even though the DT series is finished with, throughout his numerous books, it has had a life of its own, and maybe an epilogue to the whole story (in one form or another) might one day be written.

We shall see...
  • DTUK thanks for the welcome ;D-Crimson Queen
  • Hi Everyone,

Having Patrick Danville show up in DTVII was a must for me, for personal reasons......

I had received The Gunslinger (softcover with artwork) as a gift, read it and didn't care much for it at the time. As a result, for the first few years I did not keep up with the series and was not even aware that additional books were published until I read Insomnia (one of my very favorites, by the way, along with The Talisman..an opinion, I know, many of you do not share..lol) When Patrick gets saved and it says something to the effect that worlds trembled and a gunslinger named Roland turned over and slept, I remembered that book I read and didn't like a few years back and decided to give it a second chance. Of course, this time I liked it much better and you cannot imagine how thrilled I was to discover by that time, Drawing of the Three, and The Wastelands had already been published. Of course, after that, I was hooked. And then began the long, long wait for the rest of the books to come.

So, to sum up this long story.....Patrick Danville is very important to me because, if not for reading about him in Insomnia, I probably would not have rediscovered The Gunslinger and the rest to come....this would have been a tremendous loss.

Okay, sorry for babbling....lol

Linda
  • It's okay Linda, I babbled about the exact same thing in another thread at the end of September:

Just some more "random" thoughts on DTVII.

Actually this goes back to Insomnia, which I now have in front of me, checking.

SPOILERS FOR INSOMNIA, JUST IN CASE:

Quote:"Mommy, you're scrunching my picture!" Patrick said.

This being his picture of "The Dark Tower". A little further ahead, as they make their way out of the Civic Centre (Sonia and Patrick):

Quote:Worlds which had trembled for a moment in their orbits now steadied, and in one of those worlds, in a desert that was the apotheosis of all deserts, a man named Roland turned over in his bedroll and slept easily once again beneath the alien constellations.

Therefore, had Patrick's "picture" not been saved, but only Patrick himself.. would the whole story had been different (knowing what we know now about his "drawings"). Just mho, you unnerstan'.

Insomnia is one of my favourite books, too. :)

Lin