Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Shrieking Woman

edited December 2017 in Short Stories
imageMy story "The Shrieking Woman," featuring my sister/brother duo of Vicky and Burt, seen previously in "Centralia is Still Burning" and "Blue Plume," will appear in Shivers VIII from Cemetery Dance next year.

The anthology will also contain Stephen King's "Squad D," a legendary previously unpublished story.

Table of Contents:
"Squad D" by Stephen King
"Gamma" by Laird Barron
"Hoarder" by Kealan Patrick Burke
"The Shrieking Woman" by Bev Vincent
"The Blue Cat" by Keith Minnion
"Gorilla in my Room" by Jack Ketchum
"The Chair" by Bentley Little
"Eyes Like Poisoned Wells" by Ian Rogers
"Above the Buried City" by Daniel Braum
"Open Wound" by Darrell Speegle
"Spice" by David Gerrold
"Dearly Beloved" by Bruce McAllister
"The Hour In Between" by Adam Troy-Castro
"Always and Forever" by Greg Kishbaugh
"Autophagy" by Ray Garton
"Sexual Exploration Is a Crime" by Alan Peter Ryan
"Lucien's Tale" by David Niall Wilson
"The Carbon Dreamer" by Jack Dann
"A House for the Wee Ones" by Michael M. Hughes
"Mama's Sleeping" by Brian James Freeman

Comments

• edited October 2018
    SHIVERS VIII will also be published in German in February 2019 by the new Cemetery Dance Germany imprint of  Buchheim Verlag.
  • The Cemetery Dance edition was released in April 2019
  • edited April 2020
    I read this one tonight.  Quick little tale that reminded me of a show I used to watch. Teams of two would go to"haunted" locations.  While one of the team stayed in a control center in the haunted space, the other person would have to carry out a mission and complete it in the creepy building.   I can't for the life of me remember the name of this show, but it was terrifying!  Having to walk in the dark, all alone to solve some task.  And they were being timed I do believe.  My memory! ugh!

It seems like this was a snapshot of a larger story.  Many questions with the information given.  As Bev states above, this was his brother/sister duo who he has written about before.  "Centralia is Still Burning" sounds very familiar.  I'm wondering if I've read that.  

I'm on the hunt through my books to find out.

• "Centralia Is Still Burning" introduced my troubled siblings. It was in Specters in Coal Dust, an Appalachian-themed anthology, and also appears in my 4-story eBook Cemetery Dance Selects. Centralia is the abandoned town in Pennsylvania where a coal fire has been burning underground for decades. 

They returned in "Blue Plume," which appeared in the anthology The Mothman Files. It's their second visit to an abandoned location.

I watched a number of urban spelunking videos when writing "The Shrieking Woman." The idea of investigating an abandoned building appealed to me. David Morrell has an entire novel set in real-time in a setting like that.

I have a couple of other as-yet-unpublished stories about them. I envision someday bundling them all up into either a collection or a "fix-up" novel.
  • Okay. I don't have any of those, but I swear I read "Centralia..." 

Wait. Maybe the book reading group at SKMB read it and that's why it sounds so familiar.  I didn't have it at the time to participate, as I don't do ebooks or downloads.  I've never done one so not sure how that works.  Maybe I need to leap into that with both feet and just try it.
  • edited April 2020
    I found it!  The show was called FEAR and it aired, 2000, 2001, 2002 for a total of two seasons.  Wow! 20 years ago!!!!!  

One of the synopses of the show:

"Blair Witch Project meets Survivor... Six contestants, armed only with cameras and ghost hunting equipment explore purportedly haunted places in order to determine if supernatural activity is present. They must complete dares in order to win cash prizes. If they fail, they are eliminated. Sound easy? "Fear" is never that simple, especially when you factor in those disembodied footfalls, and shadows that only appear on infrared. Reality TV at its most frightening."

I didn't realize it had been that long ago. I really enjoyed it.
  • I just discovered an Italian edition of Shivers VIII -- it has 23 out of the 27 stories, including mine.

not_nadineGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • edited May 2021
    I just discovered an Italian edition of Shivers VIII -- it has 23 out of the 27 stories, including my "The Shrieking Woman" (as "La Donna Urlante")

....why only 85% of the stories Bev?....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • I don't know -- and I'm not sure which ones were omitted. May have had something to do with translation rights not being available for certain stories. I haven't found a table of contents for this edition yet.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I don't know -- and I'm not sure which ones were omitted. May have had something to do with translation rights not being available for certain stories. I haven't found a table of contents for this edition yet.
    ...I'd be interested to know if you find out anything.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • The four omitted stories were by Blu Gilliand, Lisa Morton, Tina Callaghan and Tananarive Due. I can't imagine why.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • The four omitted stories were by Blu Gilliand, Lisa Morton, Tina Callaghan and Tananarive Due. I can't imagine why.
    ....that's just....

Free Goofy Face Png Download Free Goofy Face Png png images Free ClipArts  on Clipart Library
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • The fellow who sent me the table of contents said that isn't unusual for anthologies in Italy, although he doesn't know why.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerNeesy
  • It's bizarre... tough on the omitted. 😬😳
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler