Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower series at Amazon

edited June 2018 in Dark Tower
DEADLINE: What is the status of other high-profile genre projects that have been in early development at Amazon or stuck in deal-making limbo for a long time, The Wheel of Time (based on the fantasy books), and The Dark Tower, (based on the book and the movie)?

SALKE: Those are scripts that I haven’t gotten yet. I’ll be seeing those, that material, in the coming weeks. None of those things are dead. They’re very much alive.

>>> Source

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Amazon Studios is set to move ahead with production on their adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower books. The series, which will be comprised of 13 one-hour episodes, will be executive produced by a team of huge names led by Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead), Akiva Goldsman (Titans, Star Trek: Discovery) and King.

Amazon Studios has begun looking to assemble a cast ahead of a mid-April start of production in Croatia, where the series is expected to film until late-June. It appears that part of the delay may have been, in part, due to efforts to distance the series from the 2017 film adaptation which was received poorly by fans and critics. The series will of course focus on Roland Deschain, a young boy from a long line of “gunslingers”, and his “ka-tet” comprised of Cuthbert Allgood, Alain Johns, Ileen Ritter and Jamie De Curry in addition to his girlfriend, Susan Delgado. The studio is currently looking at actors and actresses, ages 16-18 for all the roles listed above.

Marten Broadcloak will serve as the series antagonist and his affair with Roland’s mother, Gabrielle, will factor heavily into the plot. Her affair incites Roland to pick up his guns in a search for Broadcloak and sets his father, Steven, on a mission to find him. At this time, no offers have been made to talent, but the cast should begin to assemble quickly.

>>> Source

Caveat: This is the only source of this info, and it's one I'm not familiar with, so maybe...maybe not?
  • ‘The Dark Tower’ Casts Sam Strike As Gunslinger Roland Deschain, Plus Jasper Pääkkönen As Amazon Nears Pilot Order

Amazon’s adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series has found its Gunslinger. Sam Strike (Nightflyers) has been cast as the lead, Roland Deschain, in the project, which I hear is nearing a formal pilot order at the streaming platform.

Jasper Pääkkönen (Vikings, BlacKkKlansman) will co-star in the drama, from executive producer/showrunner Glen Mazzara and MRC. The project had had a blinking green light for a couple of months, with casting quietly underway. It had been in development at Amazon for almost a year.

The Dark Tower TV series is independent from the film and is meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. I hear it will take place many years before the events depicted in the feature and will focus on Roland Deschain’s (Strike) origin story – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black, his first love and his first mission as a gunslinger.

Pääkkönen is believed to be playing Marten, the character Roland is out to kill.

The 2017 Sony/MRC feature The Dark Tower starred Idris Elba as Roland Deschain.

King’s eight Dark Tower books draw from multiple genres, including dark fantasy, science fantasy, horror, and Western.

Strike is coming off a series regular role on the Syfy/Netflix series Nightflyers, based on the novella by George R.R. Martin. The English actor launched his acting career with main roles on the British series M.I. High and EastEnders. He will next be seen in the HBO/Sky miniseries Chernobyl and will reprise his guest starring role on the second season of David Fincher’s Netflix series Mindhunter. He is repped by Gersh, Circle of Confusion and UK’s The Artists Partnership.

Finnish actor Pääkkönen played Halfdan the Black on History’s Vikings and recently co-starred in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman.
  • “Game of Thrones” Star Jerome Flynn Climbs Amazon’s “The Dark Tower”

Jerome Flynn, who plays Bronn on HBO’s “Game of Thrones”, is climbing Amazon’s small screen take on Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower”, reports Mirror.

“’Game of Thrones’ has opened doors to some great stuff,” he told the site. I’m getting offered stuff I never would have.”

He will play a cowboy in the dramatization of Stephen King’s seven-book “Dark Tower” series.

Jerome says: “I’ve always said I’d like to play a cowboy – and now one has come along. I’m excited for that.”
  • edited May 2019

⚠️Exclusive fresh shots from the filming site of the pilot for Amazon's prequel series of 'The Dark Tower' in Split (Croatia) today!

• edited June 2019

Joana Ribeiro and Ana Padrão join The Dark Tower on Amazon as Susan Delgado and her aunt.

>>> Source

• According to an Italian interview, Flynn (Bronn from GoT) will be playing Roland's father.
  • Michael Rooker has been cast in the Amazon Studios adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, currently filming the pilot episode on location in Croatia.

Rooker’s role in the series pilot is still being kept under wraps.

• We finally know the director of Amazon’s ‘The Dark Tower’ pilot: Stephen Hopkins. Deadline snuck in this tidbit earlier today, in an article about the ‘Fugitive’ reboot from Quibi, which Hopkins is directing.

Hopkins recently directed the Focus Features film ‘Race’ and three episodes of the FOX spin-off ’24: Legacy.’ He also helmed 12 episodes of the flagship ’24’ series. Other film credits include New Line’s ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child,’ 20th Century Fox’s ‘Predator 2,’ and New Line’s ‘Lost in Space.’

Moreover, the cast members, that we know of, are below:

• Jerome Flynn (‘Game of Thrones,’ ‘John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum’)
    • Ivan Kaye (‘Dark Shadows,’ ‘The Borgias’)
    • Jasper Pääkkönen (‘Vikings,’ ‘BlacKkKlansman’)
    • Ana Padrão (‘Três Mulhere,’ ‘Vidas Opostas’)
    • Abraham Popoola (‘Electric Dreams,’ ‘Les Misérables’)
    • Joana Ribeiro (‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote,’ ‘The Black Book’)
    • Michael Rooker (‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,’ ‘True Detective’)
    • Sam Strike (‘Timeless,’ ‘Mindhunter’)

The series was originally going to tie in to the 2017 film of the same name, starring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey. But, the plan now is for the show to be a more faithful adaptation of the book series.

Meanwhile, Glen Mazzara (‘The Walking Dead,’ ‘Damien’) serves as executive producer and showrunner.

Below are some plot details of the Stephen King adaptation:

“The story of how Roland (Strike) became a gunslinger and his first encounter with Marten Broadcloak aka the villainous Man in Black (Pääkkönen). The Man in Black will serve as the series antagonist, while his affair with Gabrielle, the mother of Roland, will factor heavily into the plot. Her affair incites Roland to pick up his guns in a search for Broadcloak and sets his father, Steven, on a mission to find him.”

Additionally we know Deschain’s “ka-tet” will comprise of Cuthbert Allgood, Alain Johns, Ileen Ritter and Jamie De Curry, as well as his girlfriend, Susan Delgado.

If the show nabs a series order, the season will comprise of 13 episodes.

However, there is no decision from Amazon as of now, as the pilot is still in post-production.

>>> Source

• ‘The Dark Tower’ Series Adaptation Not Going Forward At Amazon

Amazon Studios has passed on The Dark Tower pilot. The adaptation of Stephen King’s book came from executive producer/showrunner Glen Mazzara and MRC. The production company is shopping the two original scripts that were the basis for the pilot pickup, sources said.

The Dark Tower
     has always been considered very difficult to adapt to the screen, which explains the title’s lengthy road to being made into a feature by Sony and a pilot by Amazon. Largely because of the challenges translating the material, Amazon opted to go with a pilot vs. straight-to-series order, which is rare for a big-scale, big-budget production like The Dark Tower. In the end, I hear Amazon executives felt like the pilot was not on the level of other large-scope elevated genre series the streamer has in production/pre-production like Wheel Of Time and The Lord Of the Rings.

The Dark Tower TV series was designed to be independent from the 2017 film and was meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. It takes place many years before the events depicted in the feature and focused on the origin story of Roland Deschain’s (Sam Strike) – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black (Jasper Pääkkönen), his first love and his first mission as a gunslinger.

The cast of the pilot, which was never officially announced or confirmed, also is believed to have included Michael Rooker, Jerome Flynn and Joana Ribeiro.

King’s eight Dark Tower books draw from multiple genres, including dark fantasy, science fantasy, horror and Western.

• Dark Tower TV Show’s 3-Season Story Plan Revealed

Amazon's cancelled Dark Tower TV show would have had an epic and exciting three-season story arc following The Gunslinger from youth to adulthood.

Despite the series stalling at the pilot stage, Mazzara has revealed on The Kingcast, a popular podcast for King-obsessed fans, that he had already planned out the first three seasons of the show. Taking a more linear approach to the story than King does with the books, Mazzara would have spent season 1 exploring Deschain's youth, as seen in the fourth novel, Wizard and Glass. "Season 1 ended with the death of Susan. In Wizard and Glass very quickly you go from the death of Susan to the death of Gabrielle, (Deschain's) mother. I felt that I needed a season to give me real estate so that Gabrielle's death didn't step on Susan's and that it felt like an escalation." Mazzara goes on to say that season 2 would have covered material that is not explicitly seen in King's novels. "For season 2, the war with Farson was building. I was maybe going to use the shapeshifter story as part of season 2 and get to the death of Gabrielle and either the fall of Gilead there or the fall of Gilead would be the season 3 premiere." Finally, Mazzara says, the third season would have adapted material from the first two books:

"Very quickly there would be a last stand at Jericho Hill and by episode three or four of season 3 I was going to have Roland stumble out into the desert, follow him into the desert and then I was going to do a timelapse so that maybe you actually age Roland and switch actors. Then you have a new Roland reset the show at the top of season three, then go into The Gunslinger (Book one) and by the end of that season go into The Drawing of The Three (Book 2)."

Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited May 2020
    ‘The Dark Tower’: Glen Mazzara Shares His Plans for the Abandoned TV Series

“After we realized that the franchise was not viable, or not going to proceed, we determined we might now lay out the complete epic,” mentioned Mazarra. “Now we had a selection: can we return and begin with The Gunslinger? Do you begin and inform the story in a linear means after which interrupt that narrative and have this huge cutaway in your season four or season 5 to Wizard and Glass? That’s a viable possibility.” Nevertheless, they finally determined to start out with Younger Roland in order that the viewers could be invested in his journey somewhat than beginning with Guide 1, The Gunslinger, after which having to return and clarify that origin later.

As for the pilot, right here’s what followers of the books might have anticipated:

“The story of the pilot is mainly Roland in the desert. The person in black fled throughout the desert and the gunslinger adopted. On this model he’s chasing Marten as a result of Marten was with Gabrielle (Roland’s mom) and he’s vowed his revenge. In the books, (Roland) will get his weapons to kill Marten after which Marten form of disappears from the narrative. So (Roland) chases Marten throughout the desert and ended up in Hambry. He meets Susan. In the pilot it’s the Feast of the Kissing Moon and he or she’s being offered to the mayor and he or she meets Roland on the highway. Roland goes into Traveler’s Relaxation. He has the scene the place the Massive Coffin Hunters journey Sheemie and Roland will get right into a traditional western stand-off. The ka-tet catches up and we’ve Cuthbert use the slingshot and he takes out one among the Massive Coffin Hunters. They go into the sq. and as they’re arguing, Roland explaining he’s there to seek out and kill Marten, Susan grabs him they usually dance. They really dance to a Flogging Molly tune, which I like. The Massive Coffin Hunters are available and are chasing him by way of the sq., however Roland sees Marten, so all the pieces all collides in the finish.”

By way of making an attempt to stability adaptation versus staying devoted to the books, Mazzara felt that it was necessary to not mess with the key moments from the novels. “I had a rule with the writers that if one thing was actually, actually necessary that we had been going to attempt to make canon work,” explains Mazzara. “There was by no means going to be a model the place Roland didn’t shoot his mother. There was by no means going to be a model by which Susan lives. There was by no means going to a model by which Roland doesn’t drop Jake.”

Sadly, this can all stay an important “What if?” which is a disgrace, since The Dark Tower is clearly a wealthy and beloved sequence of books that simply wants the proper strategy for an adaptation. Whereas the failed film could have soured the effectively for a bit, I anticipate we haven’t seen the final of makes an attempt to provide The Dark Tower the adaptation it deserves.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Wow. Was I the only one who had trouble reading that?  It seemed a bit of a mess.
    GNTLGNT
  • Wow. Was I the only one who had trouble reading that?  It seemed a bit of a mess.
    It's a transcription of a podcast.
    GNTLGNT
    It's a transcription of a podcast.
    Okay thanks. The formatting makes sense now.  
    GNTLGNT