Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

3rd version of 'Salem's Lot

edited April 2019 in Adaptations
James Wan is producing a 3rd version of 'Salem's Lot, this one meant for the big screen.

Comments

• Horror movie master James Wan is producing a feature film adaptation of Stephen King’s classic vampire novel Salem’s Lot. That film is being written by Gary Dauberman (It, The Nun, Annabelle: Creation) and during a recent interview with /Film, he talked about what he is planning for the film.

I’m a fan of King’s Salem’s Lot novel and I even liked the creepy miniseries that was made in 1979. A couple of things that Dauberman is looking to deliver is something unique and scary. He wants this to be a truly scary vampire movie!

"I did have a unique way into it but again, I think the book in itself is unique. Certainly now, I haven’t seen a scary vampire movie in a long, long time and I’d really love to tackle that. It’s one of my favorite books. It’s one of my favorite Stephen King books. We felt it should have the cinematic treatment that we gave It. It was a miniseries as well. The experience of bringing that to the big screen was such a joy that I was so happy we will have the opportunity to do that for Salem’s Lot."

He’s right. It’s been awhile since we’ve seen a terrifying vampire movie. Hopefully, he and the creative team are able to deliver that!

The story follows "a writer who returns to his hometown, Salem’s Lot, in order to write about an abandoned mansion in the small town. As he discovers the home has been bought by a mysterious man from Europe, the man also realizes that townspeople are slowly being turned into vampires. The writer bands together with a ragtag group to stop the spread of vampires, with the final confrontation happening in the house with the mysterious man.”

Stephen King stories are on fire right now. Every studio wants a piece of his work to adapt into a movie or TV series. After the movie It became such a huge success, King explained “that people decided well, there must be gold in some of that old shit.”

>>> Source

• Dauberman tells us his goal with the new version of ‘Salem’s Lot is to make vampires frightening again. “That's exactly what I said and that's exactly what I thought,” he exclaims. “Which is why I said, ‘Hey, can we make a movie of this?’ Because we haven't seen that in a really long time and they should be terrifying, and the novel's terrifying, and it's fucking great to work on. I can't wait to bring it to the big screen, we've seen it on the smaller screen and it's going to be awesome on the big screen.”
  • I think it will be a difficult job, in Tobe Hooper's version they changed Barlow into a more Max Schreck Nosferatu like creature and it worked, the image of Reggie Nalder in full garb  is iconic and I think that will be difficult to beat. The remake with Rutgar Hauer just didn't have the same impact even though in portrayal he closer to what's in the novel.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • According to new reports, Jake Gyllenhaal is set to appear in the latest remake of Stephen King's Salem's Lot. While any other casting news is still sparse, it is thought that the James Bond franchise's latest Blofeld, Christopher Waltz, is heading the running to play the villainous Straker.

Salem's Lot is currently expected to begin filming sometime in the fall, and while no release date has currently been set, it would be expected that the final movie would arrive sometime towards the end of 2022 at the earliest. 

>>> Source
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • ....Waltz would have the appropriate "look".....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Downtown Ipswich (MA) is set to appear as the backdrop again when filmmakers roll into town in September.

Filming will take place in the AnnTiques area of South Main Street for five or six days, Town Manager Tony Marino told the select board Monday.

The movie planned is “Salem’s Lot,” a remake of Stephen King’s classic about a vampire in small-town Maine.

>>> Source

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Will you get a chance to go on set , Bev?
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Will you get a chance to go on set , Bev?
    Highly doubtful. I haven't been more than 20 miles from the house in a year and a half!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroKurben
  • Understand
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • ....another re-boot......*sigh*.......
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • They're doing this one as a feature film, and if the rumored casting is at all correct, it could be quite impressive. The first version, except for a couple of scenes, doesn't really stand the test of time, and the second one was terrible right out of the gate.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ...yes, the second one was a dumpster fire-and I knew this was to be a big screen release...I just have a knee-jerk distrust of remakes....
    KurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • PRINCETON — The Princeton (MA) Public Library will be ready for its closeup on Sept. 20, when a film crew pulls into town to shoot the historic building for a remake of a movie based on Stephen King's 1975 novel “Salem’s Lot.”

At the Aug. 10 meeting of the Select Board, Jane Wiesman, the director of library trustees, said the film is a “big-time production” headed up by Charlestown Productions, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers Pictures.

The company, which is locally headquartered at Devens, offered the town $20,000 to use the library for three days, she said.

The circa 1884 building will take its star turn renamed as “Jerusalem’s Lot Library," after King’s fictional Maine setting. Apparently, location scouts were entranced not only by the library exterior’s rose granite and black slate roof, but also by the period details of the interior.

The Princeton Public Library at the head of Princetons town common

“We were offered $15,000 and turned that down. They came back with $20,000,” Weisman said.

Plans were carefully made so that library patrons will be inconvenienced as little as possible, she said.

Some interior work will be done on Sunday, Sept. 19, with exterior filming taking place on Monday. The crew has been instructed to remove their equipment from the premises by 1 p.m. Tuesday. The library will likely be closed that entire day in addition to its usual closures on Sunday and Monday.

“The entire board of trustees approves of the use of the library for this project,” Weisman said. “We canvassed the staff, and they are excited about it.”

The film is set in the 1970s, so interior set work will involve hiding modern equipment like computers. Library director Erin Redihan has stipulated that she will be in charge of unplugging and stowing away the library’s electronic equipment, Weisman said.

The trustees decided the dates were nonnegotiable and insisted on a “rain or shine” agreement,  she said.

“If they want to change the date, I think we would just say we don’t need the hassle,” she said.

Select Board member Richard Bisk said he had read a version of the contract that would allow Charlestown Productions to return to the library for more work within the next six months, as long as they gave the town five days’ notice.

“I think we should write in that if that happens, it has to be when the library is closed,” said Weisman. Select Board members suggested that additional payments would be called for in that case.

Bisk also pushed asking for more money from the production company, but Weisman thought the town was already at top dollar.

After researching other locations in the area that have been used for filming, she learned that typical payments are generally in the $1,000 to $2,000 per day range.

“My feeling is, if they’re going to make money off it, I want some for us,” Bisk said.

Board chair Karen Cruise suggested that if the town deviates too far from the standard industry agreement, Charlestown Productions could decide to go somewhere else.

Town Administrator Sherry Patch said that town counsel recommended the town issue a license rather than a lease for filming. A strong indemnification clause was also advised.

With the 2006 state film tax credit now permanently on the books and creating an upsurge in local productions, Patch suggested the town develop its own film permitting process.

The Select Board unanimously approved permission for filming. The library trustees will also sign the approval.

“I really am approving it not for the money,” said Weisman, but because “I think it will be fun and exciting for the town. And the money sealed it.”

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • ...Holy Crap!....Big Jim Rennie run that town??....

Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...Holy Crap!....Big Jim Rennie run that town??....

Gettin’ my funk on with that — got my eyes blinkin to the beat as my jabba the hut body oozes here, lifeless. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Lewis Pullman will be playing Ben Mears.

The role promises to be a breakthrough and career-making for Pullman, who is the son of Bill Pullman, the beloved actor who has starred in movies such as Independence Day and While You Were Sleeping. Pullman fils is an actor in his own right, making his feature debut opposite his father in Western The Ballad of Lefty Brown. He played a scene-stealing hotel manager in Drew Goddard’s Bad Times at the El Royale, appeared in The Strangers: Prey at Night and George Clooney’s mini-series, Catch-22.

The actor now has several projects in the can, the highest-profile being Tom Cruise’s Top Gun: Maverick, in which he plays a Navy fighter pilot being mentored by Cruise. The movie is currently set to be released by Paramount November 19, 2021. He will also be seen with Josh Brolin in the upcoming Amazon series Outer Range.

>>> Source

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....Wow!...he certainly favors dad in the looks department...I wish him well...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2021
    ‘Salem’s Lot’ Adds Makenzie Leigh, Bill Camp & Spencer Treat Clark

Leigh will play Susan Norton, Camp is Matthew Burke and Clark is Mike Ryerson.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Alfre Woodard has been cast as Dr. Cody
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited September 2021
    Nobody's mentioned yet that William Sadler has said he's in the movie, but the real news is a release date of September 9, 2022 has been announced.

Hedda GablerBevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Pilou Asbæk, best known for playing the vile Euron Greyjoy in Game of Thrones, has nabbed a pivotal role in Salem’s Lot.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • Some of the younger cast: Jordan Preston Carter, Nicholas Crovetti and Cade Woodward have joined the cast
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler