Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Game Seven

I'm pleased to reveal that my short story "Game Seven" will be published in the anthology Across the Universe later this year. 

The theme of the anthology is "The Beatles—What if?" What if Brian Epstein hadn't managed the band? What if George Harrison hated sitar music? What if Ringo had been the true star of the band all along? What if the Beatles had been aliens? Or magic users? Or zombies? Or American?

Other authors who are scheduled to appear in the anthology: Spider Robinson, David Gerrold, Jonathan Maberry, Alan Goldsher, Cat Rambo, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Jody Lynn Nye, Lawrence Watt-Evans, and Gail Z. Martin, with notes by Janis Ian and Nancy Holder.

Comments

•  ‘Across The Universe’ Table Of Contents Reveal!

The book is on its way! That is, our alternate “what if” Beatles anthology Across the Universe, which I’m co-editing with Michael Ventrella, has been sent to our fantastic publisher, Fantastic Books.

The ETA for publishing is December, and here is our Table of Contents:

• Introduction by Nancy Holder
    • “Rubber Soul” by Spider Robinson
    • “A New Beginning” by Jody Lynn Nye
    • “The Perfect Bridge” by Charles Barouch
    • “The Hey! Team” by Gordon Linzner
    • “Paul is Dead” by Lawrence Watt-Evans
    • “Come Together” by Allen Steele
    • “The Truth Within” by Sally Wiener Grotta
    • “Foursomes” by Ken Schneyer
    • “The Fabtastic Four” by David Gerrold
    • “All You Need” by Cat Rambo
    • “Used to Be” by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    • “Game Seven” by Bev Vincent
    • “When I’m #64” by Patrick Barb
    • “Deal with the Devil” by Carol Gyzander
    • “Meet the Beatles” by Pat Cadigan
    • “The Walrus Returns” by Gail Z. Martin
    • “My Sweet Lord of Light” by Barbara Clough
    • “Liverpool Band Battle 1982” by Eric Avedissian
    • “Undead in the Material World” by Alan Goldsher
    • “The Heretic” by R. Jean Mathieu
    • “Cayenne” by Beth Patterson
    • “Through a Glass Onion” by Christian Smith
    • “A Hard Day’s Night at the Opera” by Gregory Frost
    • “Apocalypse Rock” by Matthew Amati
    • “Doing Lennon” by Gregory Benford

There are two reprints, Spider’s “Rubber Soul” and Gregory Benford’s “Doing Lennon,” both of which approach a similar topic … in very different ways.

• Publishers Weekly review:

Ranging from trippy fantasy to hard science fiction and zombie apocalypse mash-up, the stories in this anthology send the members of the Beatles on wild adventures through alternate timelines and universes. In Allen M. Steele’s “Come Together,” artificial intelligences named for each of the Fab Four identify so strongly with their namesakes that they jeopardize their space probe’s mission when they begin to fall out with one another, mimicking the breakup of the band. An idealistic George Harrison tries to teach transcendental meditation to Richard Nixon with disastrous geopolitical results in Sally Wiener Grotta’s “The Truth Within.” Gregory Frost’s “A Hard Day’s Night at the Opera” plugs the band members into the plot of a Marx brothers movie to hilarious effect. It’s clear that each of the 25 contributors are true fans, filling their tales with references to Beatles history and, in the case of David M. Gerrold’s “The Fabtastic Four,” so many song lyrics that readers will be tempted to sing along. Beatles aficionados and fantasy fans will enjoy this affectionate, speculative homage. (Dec.)
  • What a cool anthology idea.

• Library Journal review

The Fab Four are reimagined as wizards, robots, hockey players, zombies, the Marx Brothers, and more in this anthology from Ventrella (Big Stick) and Dawn (Home for the Holidays). An introduction by “Wicked” series coauthor Nancy Holder sets the stage. Standouts include the clever time-travel, short-short “The Perfect Bridge” by Charles Barouch; “Meet the Beatles” by Pat Cadigan, a delightful exercise in nostalgia; and two stories based on the “Paul is dead” hoax: “Paul Is Dead” by Lawrence Watt-Evans, in which an alternate universe Paul replaces the original, and “When I’m #64” by Patrick Barb, in which Paul constantly dies and comes back to life. The absolute standout is “Through a Glass Onion” by Christian H. Smith, a poignant, inspirational tale about a failed musician named John Lennon from another universe who is given a vision of the success he had in ours.

VERDICT This anthology will be mostly of interest to Beatles fans, but even non-fans will find stories here that will move and surprise the
  • edited April 2020
    To help promote the anthology, and to provide some entertainment (I hope!), we contributors were asked to create videos of us reading our stories. Here's mine.

• Okay, I'm really excited about this!  I love to hear an author read their own work.  It gives me a true feeling of how you wanted it to sound. How it sounded in your head as you were creating it.  We know where you wanted emphasis and all matter of things.  So much nuance in the voice.

I have to run my son to work but I'll be back later to give this proper attention.

Thanks Bev!
  • Oh my.  I really enjoyed that!  Bev, you did an excellent job reading it.  I loved that you committed to your characters.

The story itself was very clever. Your language, word choices, characters were well placed throughout the story, subtle little references that didn't intrude on the story, but added to it.  You had my full attention, I loved the humor. Really nicely done.

I'd love to see you read more of your work. That would be great!
  • It helps if you're familiar with Hockey Night in Canada!
  • ....have to see about picking this one up.....the concept is the right kind of trippy......
  • I bet it has a lot of great stories in it.