Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bloody Sunday

edited June 2020 in Short Stories
My Sherlock Holmes story "Bloody Sunday" will appear in The Book of Extraordinary New Sherlock Holmes Stories: The Best New Original Stories of the Genre, edited by Maxim Jakubowski.

Recognized by the New York Journal of Books as “intellectually outstanding” and hailed as “the best short mystery and crime fiction of the year” by Leonard Carpenter, Maxim Jakubowski presents a collection of short fiction stories from the best contemporary writers of crime and mystery.

New adventures of the iconic sleuth. An icon of detective fiction, readers, investigators, and artists have come across Sherlock Holmes and his mythical stories of crime and adventure for generations. Now comes an outstanding anthology of never before seen short fiction stories featuring the much-loved powers of deduction and unerring quest for the truth―however improbable it might first appear.

A cornucopia of Sherlock Holmes characters, dark deeds, and derring do. Collected by one of the genre's eminent editors, this volume features the mythical detective alongside favorite Sherlock Holmes characters, John Watson and Doctor Moriarty. With further examples of Holmes and Watson, fast-paced puzzles, and investigations accompanied by fascinating investigators, The Book of Extraordinary New Sherlock Holmes Stories brings together some of the most renowned American and British crime and thriller authors of today.

This bumper volume includes short fiction stories by:

• Jon Courtenay Grimwood
  • Lavie Tidhar
  • David Stuart Davies
  • John Grant
  • Rose Biggins
  • David N.Smith
  • O'Neil De Noux
  • Rhys Hughes
  • Catherine Lundoff
  • Mark Mower
  • Matthew Booth
  • Martin Daley
  • Jan Edwards
  • Ashley Lister
  • Keith Brooke
  • Naching T.Kassa
  • Phillip Vine
  • Bev Vincent
  • Keith Moray
  • and Nick Sweet
NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoir

Comments

• Is this available to order now? 

Crap bev. You are not making this I'm-not-going-to-buy-anymore-books comment easy.
    NotaroGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoir
  • Yes, available for preorder now -- link
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoir
  • edited December 2020
    Publishers Weekly weighs in...

The good far outweighs the bad among the 15 Sherlock Holmes pastiches in this solid anthology from Jakubowski (Invisible Blood), mostly featuring authors new to the genre. Lavie Tidhar provides a tantalizing puzzle in “The Adventure of the Milford Silkworms,” in which a female client appeals for help understanding the connection between an assault on a botanist and goats acting oddly. Bev Vincent’s “Bloody Sunday” posits a clever plot behind one of the most notorious real-life riots of the Victorian era. Ashley Lister’s atmospheric “The Case of the Cursed Angel Tears” asks Holmes to unravel a series of seemingly supernatural deaths connected to a valuable jewel. Another standout is Matthew Booth’s “The Lancelot Connection,” which involves a stolen newly discovered Shakespeare play and murder. The stories with science fiction or fantasy elements fall short, and in general the contributors tend to be stronger on plotting than on recreating Watson’s narrative voice. Fans of MX Publishing’s New Sherlock Holmes Stories series will want to check this out. (Nov.)
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNT
  • ....dammit Bev!......why you gots to write so good???....more money spent.......I can smell the pipe tobacco now......and maybe hear a bit of violin music.....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerKurbenBevVincent
  • Bev’s story in this one will be my read of the day. 
    BevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I did a lot of research and reading for that one! I reread the entire Arthur Conan Doyle/Sherlock Holmes canon for it!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Wow. I have all those stories in my library. Have barely scratched that surface
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Wow. I have all those stories in my library. Have barely scratched that surface
    I've read them all over the years, but this time I read them with an eye to getting the context right.
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited April 2021
    Bev, i’ve read a fair amount of your stuff and enough of sherlock holmes to tell you — you got the sound of both watson and holmes spot on. You didn’t drop the ball with that or the language, setting at all.  And I absolutely see the research that went into writing it.  Once again, perfect pacing and i loved the ending. 

Reading that, change a few names, modernize it — we could have easily been reading  about a current national incident with nefarious scum trying to steal something else. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenBevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited April 2021
    Thanks -- glad you liked it. It was originally written after someone contacted me looking to see if I could ask ANOTHER writer if they wanted to write a Holmes/Moriarity story for an anthology. I said I'd ask, but could I submit something, too. They agreed. Accepted the story. Then the anthology didn't happen. So I submitted it to Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine. They accepted it but a couple of years went by and the issue didn't come out. So when I found out that Maxim was doing a Holmes anthology, I pulled the story from SHMM and sent it to him. Third acceptance -- finally published!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Bev, i’ve read a fair amount of your stuff and enough of sherlock holmes to tell you — you got the sound of both watson and holmes spot on. You didn’t drop the ball with that or the language, setting at all.  And I absolutely see the research that went into writing it.  Once again, perfect pacing and i loved the ending. 

Reading that, change a few names, modernize it — we could have easily been reading  about a current national incident with nefarious scum trying to steal something else. 
    ....I mentioned much the same elsewhere....his entry was the most faithful to the classic Holmesian tale telling.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentKurbenNotaro
  • The tenaciousness — is that the right word? Just hanging in there with your story and not being defeated — it’s pretty admirable. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirBevVincentNotaro
  • The tenaciousness — is that the right word? Just hanging in there with your story and not being defeated — it’s pretty admirable. 
    ...or tenacity, either is acceptable.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentNotaro
  • One thing I tell novice writers -- be patient. You don't absolutely need to have that story published right now, especially if you're going to sell yourself short by dumping it in a less than stellar publication. I have stories that have been cooling their heels for two decades that are just now finding a proper home.
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirNotaro
  • The 40 Best Sherlock Holmes Quotes Every Sleuth Should Live By...."When there is no imagination, there is no horror.".....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNotaro
  • Oh I think horror exists without imagination. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Oh I think horror exists without imagination. 
    ....it's a Holmes quote via Doyle......and for the record, no argument Flakers....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroKurben
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    ....it's a Holmes quote via Doyle......and for the record, no argument Flakers....
    Understood. 💜 I was waxin' poetic.(ish)
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Understood. 💜 I was waxin' poetic.(ish)
    Waxing Poetic  Jewels by Simpson
    Hedda Gabler