Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Quotes, sayings and all that jazz

edited July 2020 in Free for all

From my Boston Legal viewing:  Alan Shore (James Spader) is defending a small girl who was injured in a car wreck. Her nerves in her face were damaged and she can't smile.  And thusly, doesn't fit in with the other kids.  So he tells her this story.

Alan: Have you ever heard of a Greek philosopher named Epictetus? 

Marissa: No.

Alan: He was a funny man, with a certain flair for life. Epictetus compared “people who fit in” to the white threads of a toga: indistinguishable. He wanted to be the purple thread; that small part which is bright and makes all the rest appear graceful and beautiful. Why then, he asked, do you tell me to make myself like the many, and if I do, how shall I still be purple? 

Marissa: Sometimes being purple is kind of a pain.

Alan: Yes.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTEdwardJohnNeesy

Comments

• The road to hell is paved with adverbs.
    Stephen King. :smile:
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy

• Pelutho (n.): A South American ball game. The balls are whacked against a brick wall with a stout wooden bat until the prisoner confesses.

Douglas Adams & John Lloyd - The Meaning Of Liff
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy
  • “The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.”– Al McGuire
    NotaroEdwardJohnFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman
  • GNTLGNT said:
    “The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.”– Al McGuire
    That is indeed a mystery. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideyman
  • “Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.”
    ― Alfred Lord Tennyson
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy

• "It startled him even more when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smartass."
    Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy 
  • "She was standing in front of a tall, shabby building with lots of windows that looked like an insane asylum and was therefore probably high school."
    - Stephen King, The Talisman
    NotaroEdwardJohnFlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    "She was standing in front of a tall, shabby building with lots of windows that looked like an insane asylum and was therefore probably high school."
    - Stephen King, The Talisman
    I know what Steve means. :)
    GNTLGNTspideyman
  • "A reader is a carrier, not a creator." ~ Mr. Harrigan (Stephen King) 
    NotaroEdwardJohnHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy
  • “We changed again, and yet again, and it was now too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen now, and the world lay spread before me.”
    ― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy
  • We are all born mad. Some remain so.
    Samuel Beckett
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.
    Byron
    GNTLGNTspideyman
  • This is not his quote (though he sang it) and it's not even the correct version of the original. But it still speaks to me.

Celebrity Quotes  Rest in Peace David Bowie  OMG Quotes
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanNeesy
  • "It is not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly ... who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

- Teddy Roosevelt 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideyman
  • Godber: What is it? 

Fletcher: Cops.

Godber: Copse, you mean like a wooded glade?

Fletcher: Yeah, a wooded glade filled with bleedin' cops.

Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais  -  Porridge 
  • Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus, or just a really cool Opotamus?

Mitch Hedberg

NotaroEdwardJohnFlakeNoirHedda GablerspideymanNeesy
  • “Some things it don’t pay to be curious about.”
    Stephen King, Pet Semetary 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablerspideyman
  • “I drank to drown my sorrows, but the damned things learned how to swim.”

― Frida Kahlo
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • “If trouble comes when you least expect it then maybe the thing to do is to always expect it.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy, The Road
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideyman
  •  “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • "There's No Smoke Without The Worm Turning "

David Nobbs  -  The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”
    ― Stephen King
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • “I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all.”
    ― Stephen King
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanNeesy
  • “Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule.”
    ― Stephen King
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanNeesy